Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lyon vs Real Madrid

• 17-02-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭

Being a Lyon fan and seeing no thread on this I'll get the ball rolling.

We defied current form and should have won by more than one goal. Anybody thinking Madrid look capable of winning the CL I think are day dreaming. Lyon may not get much further in the competition but Real looked truely hopeless for long spells. They lacked ideas and defending was comical.

Lyon were bad for a some spells aswell but overall were well worth the 1 goal lead to take to the Bernabeu, which is a happy hunting ground for us anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Real will not win the CL. No way. The return of this will be intriging. Real need to win, and are more than capable of doing, but Lyon, going by last nights showing, will be no pushovers. Real will be without Alonso who was booked last night.

I hope Lyon do it, as I feel it could destroy Reals entire season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I love watching Real Madrid Fail

warms my heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I won't lie, I will take quite a bit of enjoyment if Madrid get knocked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

gimmick wrote: »
    Real will not win the CL. No way. The return of this will be intriging. Real need to win, and are more than capable of doing, but Lyon, going by last nights showing, will be no pushovers. Real will be without Alonso who was booked last night.

I hope Lyon do it, as I feel it could destroy Reals entire season :)

Marcelo is out also, but I actually wish he was playing since he's such a liability for Real. They missed Lassana Diarras energy hugely which helped us. On another night Lisandro would have got 2. It still could go either way but I honestly don't think Lyon will be bothered playing there with a hostile atmosphere. If Madrid don't score early the fans will get on their backs and looking at Kaka and Diarra last night the spirit in the camp isn't exactly perfect. Actually felt sorta sorry for Cristiano Ronaldo last night, sorta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Headshot wrote: »

warms my heart

i've said it before, i'll say it again.

utd v madrid in a Champions League final, and i would struggle to know who I'd want to win.

i'd lean towards utd, and if it wasn't for Xabi, i'd definitely support utd i reckon.

they really are deplorable.

i hope Lyon put them out, i really do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

On one hand, I feel sorry for Ronaldo because I love the guy after his achievements here. On the other hand, Im delighted for him, because he thought he was moving onto bigger and better things. I think he's beginning to refgret leaving United, although Im sure his paycheck comforts him somewhat.

I have a madrista buddy and I texted him after the final whistle last night saying "see this is what happens when the ref is not bribed or threatened with reprisals, r**l lose". Honestly, you would think he would have seen it as the obvious wind up it was.

Archimedez wrote: »
    On one hand, I feel sorry for Ronaldo because I love the guy after his achievements here. On the other hand, Im delighted for him, because he thought he was moving onto bigger and better things. I think he's beginning to refgret leaving United, although Im sure his paycheck comforts him somewhat.

Nothing to do with that, I just thought he can't do the things that people think he can alot of the time. He was trying to do the right things, and alot of stupid things, recieved an awful challenge from Govou, should have been red, but just got on with it.

The thing I felt sorry for was that I think he was doing his usual things that don't come off and for once wasn't moaning about them. Poor free kicks, easily dispossessed quite often. It was sort of like when a cocky guy gets his just deserves but sorta hard to watch because he didn't complain if that makes sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Ush1 wrote: »
    Marcelo is out also, but I actually wish he was playing since he's such a liability for Real. They missed Lassana Diarras energy hugely which helped us. On another night Lisandro would have got 2. It still could go either way but I honestly don't think Lyon will be bothered playing there with a hostile atmosphere. If Madrid don't score early the fans will get on their backs and looking at Kaka and Diarra last night the spirit in the camp isn't exactly perfect. Actually felt sorta sorry for Cristiano Ronaldo last night, sorta.

LMAO

That can only be a bad thing for Lyon.

redout wrote: »
    LMAO

That can only be a bad thing for Lyon.

Yes, that's what I said.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Real Madrid TV were supposed to be showing the game in full later last night, but because they lost didn't...ridiculous carry on!
    They showed a repeat of some other random winning game. My brother told me they always do this when they lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Real will still go through here imo. 1-0 loss ain't that bad a result.

I find it funny it funny how everyone laughs at Real, while at the same time **** themselves senseless over Barca, how many points between them in La Liga? 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr Alan wrote: »

I find it funny it funny how everyone laughs at Real, while at the same time **** themselves senseless over Barca, how many points between them in La Liga? 2?

People respect how Barca got to where they are. That's the difference.

It wont be easy thats for sure.

They were outclassed last night and lucky to have only lost by one.

I think the biggest loss is Alonso who has been the cog in the wheel this season.

If Lyon score at the Bernabeu it will be an immense ask as they will require three.

Big deal. Real have won 2 of the last 3 ligas and how well they done in the CL in those years? They have the "hoodoo" over certain clubs in Spain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Headshot wrote: »

warms my heart

Common ground with Headshot. This cannot be!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Call me petty, but ah would love it - love it - if a team that spent over 250 million euro on players in one summer bombed out of the CL to Lyon.

I think this thread has just become about Real bashing, you know, Lyon didn't exactly hold back this summer spending wise lads...

Madrid could still tender a bid for the entire Lyon first team before the return leg?

Worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's not surprising that people are delighted to see Real possibly fail.
    They went into the transfer market thinking it was acceptable to just lord it over the whole world of football spending money that seemed to be coming out of the ether.
    Ronaldo may have dreamed about playing for Real, and they will always be in with a shout in La Liga, but in Europe it's hard to see how they're good enough to mix it with the really top clubs one of which he left to join Real. It's even harder to see anyone having any sympathy for them when they fail.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Lads who was really surprised with the result ?

Hardly what I would call a shock.

Lyon and Real have played five times over the something like the past four seasons and the results stand at 3 Lyon wins and two draws. Real havent got a single victory so as I said hardly a shocker.

I think this thread has just become about Real bashing, you know, Lyon didn't exactly hold back this summer spending wise lads...

Did they spend €250m? Nothing wrong with R**l hate.

°°°°°

stovelid wrote: »
    Madrid could still tender a bid for the entire Lyon first team before the return leg?

Worth a try.

Or get Marca and AS to start speculating that Real are about to start negotiations to sign them all in a new special FIFA sactioned transfer window for Real Madrid only.

Glazers Out!

Did they spend €250m?

And they didn't land Riberry...

Worth a try.

They could prolly do that for Manchester Uniteds first team, and most other clubs.

°°°°°

And they didn't land Riberry...

Isn't that one "lined up" for this summer?
    They could always sign some defenders and have a balanced side, but it is Real after all.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

They could prolly do that for Manchester Uniteds first team, and most other clubs.

The Spanish taxpayer would be happy to foot the bill:pac:

Glazers Out!

Did they spend €250m? Nothing wrong with R**l hate.

Lisandro 24mill, Gomis 13mill, Cissokho 15mill, Lovren 10mill. Not as much as Real but not peanuts either. And the summer before spent quite abit aswell.

I think the Real money thing is overstated to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lyon are as far out as 46/1 to win the CL this year, which I think is ridiculous.

They've got their best team in years, came out of a difficult group with ease and have put themselves in a very strong position for the 2nd leg against Real.

• Advertisement

Lyon are as far out as 46/1 to win the CL this year, which I think is ridiculous.

They've got their best team in years, came out of a difficult group with ease and have put themselves in a very strong position for the 2nd leg against Real.

Well they're not as strong as in previous years, Ligue 1 shows that but I think assuming Real Madrid will brush them aside because they spent so much money is madness. As mentioned, Lyon have the pedigree and delight at playing Real.

Lisandro 24mill, Gomis 13mill, Cissokho 15mill, Lovren 10mill. Not as much as Real but not peanuts either. And the summer before spent quite abit aswell.

Personally, it's not spending big to build a squad that annoys me. It's the near-certainty every year that Madrid will target the shiniest bauble. This year took it to a new level because they basically tried to buy everyone.

Personally, it's not spending big to build a squad that annoys me. It's the near-certainty every year that Madrid will target the shiniest bauble. This year took it to a new level because they basically tried to buy everyone.

Yeah but that's only because they have money. All clubs want to win everything. For instance, Bayern are like Real without the financial backing. Huge aspirations each year and then shocked when it goes to pieces.

Yeah but that's only because they have money. All clubs want to win everything. For instance, Bayern are like Real without the financial backing. Huge aspirations each year and then shocked when it goes to pieces.

They dont actually. The club were in debt over €500m when Perez took over in the summer. The money to finance the spending spree came from bank loans. It is heavily dependent on shirt sales and success on the pitch.

redout wrote: »
    They dont actually. The club were in debt over €500m when Perez took over in the summer. The money to finance the spending spree came from bank loans. It is heavily dependent on shirt sales and success on the pitch.

Yes I know, but I mean the fact that they spend money on big signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This is nearly all wrong apart from the fact they are in a very strong position for the second leg. Lyon are having their worst season in ages - they are practically out of the race for the French title already. How was their CL Group tough? They had an under-performing Liverpool side and a side in mid-table in Serie A and probably the worst team in the CL - Debrecen - that was the easiest Group they could have hoped for.

• Advertisement

Yes I know, but I mean the fact that they spend money on big signings.

There are other clubs that could follow the same model (but don't) to be honest.

While supporters of smaller clubs probably find it rich when supporters of clubs like United criticize Madrid when many other rich clubs asset-strip the smaller clubs all the time, the fact remains Madrid by far do it on the largest scale and with the least class.

There are other clubs that could follow the same model (but don't) to be honest.

While supporters of smaller clubs probably find it rich when supporters of clubs like United criticize Madrid when many other rich clubs asset-strip the smaller clubs all the time, the fact remains Madrid by far do it on the largest scale and with the least class.

I'm not so sure many other clubs could follow the same model.

Warper wrote: »
    This is nearly all wrong apart from the fact they are in a very strong position for the second leg. Lyon are having their worst season in ages - they are practically out of the race for the French title already. How was their CL Group tough? They had an under-performing Liverpool side and a side in mid-table in Serie A and probably the worst team in the CL - Debrecen - that was the easiest Group they could have hoped for.

Lyon are having a poor domestic season, but I didn't say anything to the contrary. I said that they have their strongest team in years, and this is true. They've returned to a more expressive, high tempo style than in previous years, and it suits them. Lisandro looks a quality player - and already has 5 goals in 7 CL games this year, and a strike-rate of more than 1 in 2 in France (bettering Benzema, as it happens).

And there's no question it was a tough group. Regardless of Liverpool underperforming, Lyon still had to go out and beat them. Liverpool gave a good account of themselves in both games, and in the end were undone by late goals each time. Fiorentina have also played good football in the tournament so far, and they won't be a pushover for Bayern in this round.

Ya right - sounds hypocritical to me. It is exactly the same as teams like Man Utd or Chelsea stripping players from other clubs. It's just that Man Utd or whoever becomes the smaller club in comparison to Real Madrid. Get over it. The Top 4 in England are constantly tapping up players.

It's true, out of both domestic cups aswell. The group could have been tricky but we bottled yet again, getting good results and then losing on the last match to Fiorentina to not top the group. CL qualification spot will be best we get this year.

• Advertisement

Lyon are having a poor domestic season, but I didn't say anything to the contrary. I said that they have their strongest team in years, and this is true. They've returned to a more expressive, high tempo style than in previous years, and it suits them. Lisandro looks a quality player - and already has 5 goals in 7 CL games this year, and a strike-rate of more than 1 in 2 in France (bettering Benzema, as it happens).

And there's no question it was a tough group. Regardless of Liverpool underperforming, Lyon still had to go out and beat them. Liverpool gave a good account of themselves in both games, and in the end were undone by late goals each time. Fiorentina have also played good football in the tournament so far, and they won't be a pushover for Bayern in this round.

Their style overall this season has been poor because of Puel, aka Domenech in disguise. They play well despite him in games like the Real one, not because of him.

Just sounds like people are going over the top with last night's match. Real were woeful and they cant be that bad again. I still dont agree with you about the it being a hard Group and I think Bayern will prove that tonight - Fiorentina are out of their depth at this stage.

Just sounds like people are going over the top with last night's match. Real were woeful and they cant be that bad again. I still dont agree with you about the it being a hard Group and I think Bayern will prove that tonight - Fiorentina are out of their depth at this stage.

To be clear, I'm not saying they're favourites. I'm saying that odds of 46/1 are waaaaaaay too long for them.

Not wishful thinking on my part, but they really can be, they were lucky last night not to get a hiding.

To be clear, I'm not saying they're favourites. I'm saying that odds of 46/1 are waaaaaaay too long for them.

46-1 is long alright - I wouldnt lay them at that price but I wouldnt back them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Archimedez wrote: »
    People respect how Barca got to where they are. That's the difference.

In fairness though I don't get it; Barca have spent massively as well : Dani Alves (€28m), Ibrahaimovic (€46m + Eto'o valued @ €20m) Chyg (€20m). Ok not on the same level as Madrid (in fairness who is?) but not exactly holding back on splashing the cash.

As for home grown players - Raul is the Champions League top scorer while Casillas can justifiably lay claim to being one of the greatest goal keepers of his generation. Guti is a very decent player while Granero is making a bit of an impact this season. While it doesn't quite compare to Barca, it is still a decent amount of home grown talent plus the amount of Spanish players in their squad means they can't be faulted for being 'too international'.

And finally as for conduct in chasing players, Barca have a lot to answer for about Fabregas and their conduct there compares with the Ronaldo saga. Again not to the same level but there is a degree of hypocrisy if one were to focus on Real.

I like barca and admire the way they play but I don't get this hate for Madrid. In fact all the buys they made in the summer shook things up a bit and made for interesting predictions as to what sort of ridiculous tactics they could play. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Agree 100% with this.
    Call me petty, but ah would love it - love it - if a team that spent over 250 million euro on players in one summer bombed out of the CL to Lyon.

You do realise that Lyon spent more this summer than any other team in world football bar Madrid and Barca. It's funny that people are making Lyon out to be a team of minnows all gathered from the foothills of the Alps or something. Lyon spent massively this summer.

Also, for people already writing off Madrid, Lyon drew 1-1 with Barca last year at Stade de Gerland, they then got trounced 5-2 in the away leg. I'd actually be quite pessimistic if I was a Lyon fan, they blew Madrid away and still only have a 1 goal advantage, they could quite easily get turned over at the bobby brown. Madrid also had an awful midfield last night, Diarra is so important, and Alonso has been tripe in a white shirt. Diarra-Guti/ Granero or whatever will be a much different story in the return leg. Pellegrini is known to be incredibly cautious in his away CL ties (see Villareal for proof).
    Kirnsy wrote: »
    In fairness though I don't get it; Barca have spent massively as well : Dani Alves (€28m), Ibrahaimovic (€46m + Eto'o valued @ €20m) Chyg (€20m). Ok not on the same level as Madrid (in fairness who is?) but not exactly holding back on splashing the cash.

As for home grown players - Raul is the Champions League top scorer while Casillas can justifiably lay claim to being one of the greatest goal keepers of his generation. Guti is a very decent player while Granero is making a bit of an impact this season. While it doesn't quite compare to Barca, it is still a decent amount of home grown talent plus the amount of Spanish players in their squad means they can't be faulted for being 'too international'.

And finally as for conduct in chasing players, Barca have a lot to answer for about Fabregas and their conduct there compares with the Ronaldo saga. Again not to the same level but there is a degree of hypocrisy if one were to focus on Real.

I like barca and admire the way they play but I don't get this hate for Madrid. In fact all the buys they made in the summer shook things up a bit and made for interesting predictions as to what sort of ridiculous tactics they could play. :)

Alves was bought two seasons ago, and Barca have always splashed the cash, but the key to their success at the moment is their youth product. Couple that with the underdog story they've had with Madrid over the years and they'll always be seen more favourably. Raul no longer plays for Real (have seen him less than 10 times this season) and Granero/ Guti aren't played consistently. The only permanent youth product in the Real team is Casillas, it's incredibly naive to compare Barca's spending policy to Madrid's. Barca bought for squad depth, Madrid bought for marketability and stature. The signings of Benzema are interferring with the likes of Higuain and Saldado (who left as a result), Kaka ruined any chances for Van Der Vaart/ Sneijder/ Guti, Alonso phased out Gago/ M. Diarra, Ronaldo has taken the spot of a good Arjen Robben. Their spending policy is alot more frivolous mate. Hard to compare it to anyone bar City's really.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Alonso has been tripe in a white shirt

The signings of Benzema are interferring with the likes of Higuain and Saldado (who left as a result),

I cant agree with the Alonso comment. Although Real have not played brilliant football this season what they have done has mostly stemmed from Alonso's passing in the midfield. I would consider him a big loss.

Do you mean Negredo ? Real used him as a pawn. Absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'm yet to come across a Madrid fan who thinks Alonso has been anything but horrible this season. Diarra's energy coupled with individual brilliance from Ronaldo/ Higuain have been the main positives to Madrid's season so far.

Negredo is another one actually. Saldado was sold too, what a waste of youth talent.

eZe^ wrote: »
    You do realise that Lyon spent more this summer than any other team in world football bar Madrid and Barca

Fair point but from what I can see, Madrid spent 273 (and also failed to land Ribery) while Lyon spent 70. Hardly like and like.

The sums aren't the main point I was making either. It's the scattergun approach of trying to buy all of the best players that has put people's backs up. Obviously as a supporter you won't agree, but a lot of people feel that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement