Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to place your thermostat, hall or livingroom???

• 17-02-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Started a thread about grants but it moved off topic thanks to me.

I want this one nailed.

In Belgium our thermostats are situated in the livingroom.

In Ireland it seems they are situated in the hall.

If our thermostat was in the hall how could I get say 20 degrees in our livingroom as our hall is 3-4 degrees as I type.

Whats this hall logic? have the thermostat where you're sitting I say.

Although I'm repeating from another thread I want this one nailed.

Thanks JD:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Things that I would factor in would be ,north or south facing rooms. If the sun is shining in your sitting room window all day ,you don't want a stat in there.

Layout of your house and how many reception rooms you have and what way they are located.

Personally ,I use a wireless programmable room stat. I leave it by my stereo ,but I can leave it standing anywhere basically. I live in an apartment ,so a stat can work anywhere really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

A thermostat is a control device, so you put it where you want to have effective control. For me, I don't really give a damn what the temperature in the hall is (in fact I don't even have a radiator in the hall). So I put mine in the living room.

If you have it in the hall, and someone opens the front door and leaves all the hot air out, then the boiler switches back on. Meanwhile you are watching T.V. wondering why you are breaking out in a sweat.

In the years i have been working (mainly in the UK) i have found most room stats fitted in the hall on properly balanced systems, i have had no complaints on the positioning other than when fitted in silly unsuitable positions, i find people adapt to their heating systems and if a system is properly balanced then the temperature differential between rooms is less noticeable, also there tended to be a secondary heat source in the living room hence the positioning in the hall in the first place. Working in Ireland i find room stats to be a hindrance rather than a help, as the positioning can be just mental, directly over rads, over telly's, in book shelfs, by front doors, 6 ft up the wall, in direct sunlight, and my favorite, 3 inch's over the toaster, DOH...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I covered most of the reasons in your other thread Green man, its been locked for some reason prob cos Yoshytoshy was going off on one again. Yoshy, TRV's = thermostatic rad valves, look it up.

TRV's are supposed to individually regulate heat in each room they are fitted but 9 times out of 10 they are not accurate enough.

A two zone system with standard rad valves, stat in living room and the other in bedroom will have entire house running better than a two zone system with stats in halls along with TRV's to control room heat.

Were stuck in the past here SEI, Co Councils, building regulations etc haven't been updated enough to keep up with how advanced heating systems are becoming.

Not many people can comment on advantages / disadvantages of fitting stats in living room unless they've actually lived in a house with stat in living room/bedroom. Their is a big difference.

It makes 100% perfect sense when a zoned heating system is working off stats fitted in rooms of most use, that way stats can be set and left set.

When you have stats fitted in areas which give false reading user is constantly adjusting stat to suit temperature in room they are spending most time in, to me it defeats entire purpose of fitting a stat when its fitted in an area where you spend little to no time.

items wrote: »
    I covered most of the reasons in your other thread Green man, its been locked for some reason prob cos Yoshytoshy was going off on one again. Yoshy, TRV's = thermostatic rad valves, look it up.

Because you have covered it ,thats it ,is it ?

Items and the book of revelations ,sorry I meant the book of regulations.

• Advertisement

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Because you have covered it ,thats it ,is it ?

Items and the book for revelations ,sorry I meant the book of regulations.

Your away off on one again, just because I said I covered it doesn't mean thats the be all and end all and everything I say is right, just my own reasons thats all and to save me from typing them all up again I mentioned it on this thread, Greenman might not have read what I typed up.

No idea what your problem is, your constantly making those daft remarks which are a waste of space and time.

You've been warned before to stay on topic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Lets play nice children please. Items, the previous thread was closed in consultation with the OP having wanted to start a new thread. In relation to yoshytoshy being off topic, it was you who started the slagging in this thread so you can't really complain.

This message doesn't need a reply from either of you, suffice to say if you want to post in this thread then make it relevant to the topic. Posting anything to the contrary will result in an infraction or worse.

Another reason why SEI might want to keep stats in hall's is to keep costs down, most houses upgrading heating under grant tend to be older type house's with stats already located in halls, to keep things from going over budget it might be best to leave stat as is, only so much can be spent on upgrading heating, more thats spent less chance of gain in efficenty.

To keep things uniform to save from "why is my stat still in hall when next doors was moved into living room" syndrome, SEI could be making it a requirement to leave stats where they are.

I've fitted stats in rooms for heating systems under SEI grant but these type of jobs were renewable energy systems so its possible to fit stat in rooms under SEI.

Not sure what happens when installer is upgrading system and finds system has stat located in living room, does installer have to re-locate stat to hall?

items wrote: »
    Not sure what happens when installer is upgrading system and finds system has stat located in living room, does installer have to re-locate stat to hall?

I've left stats in sitting rooms, people who have old stats ,tend to have had an interest in controlling heat ,so they know what they're looking for.
    And the stats are generally in a good location aswell.

I've left stats in sitting rooms, people who have old stats ,tend to have had an interest in controlling heat ,so they know what they're looking for.
    And the stats are generally in a good location aswell.

Were these during SEI grant jobs?

• Advertisement

Yes grant jobs ,but they were all wireless stats though. The old cables weren't used.

Yes grant jobs ,but they were all wireless stats though. The old cables weren't used.

So then you haven't "left stats" in living rooms you've installed new ones, if your fitting stats in living room under SEI then I cant see why Green man was told grant would be removed if stat fitted in living room. If I was Green man I'd be ringing up SEI to be sure, sounds like plumber doing job could have been telling fibs to get out of doing extra work.

Not everyone is using wireless thermostats and sometimes it can be near impossible to get cables around houses. Some people have their whole house covered in laminated flooring.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Greenman there is no definitive answer, I'm sure you realise your own reasons for preferring the thermostat in the living room but I'll offer some reasons for placing in the hall.
    1. By placing the thermostat in the sitting room you are blocking that wall from having a bookcase/tall unit put up against it or even just hanging a picture over it.
    2. Most Irish homes will have some secondary form of heat in the sitting room, an open or gas fire will shut off the heating even though the rest of the house may be cold.
    3. If a large family are all sitting watching tv the room temp will be raised, yes really, cutting off heat to the rest of the house.

This is just from my own experiences and is not intended to dictate the way it should be.
    Incidentally I have 4 digital stats in my house, only 2 work, the other 2 are just for my own interest to see the differences in room temp because I'm a bit anal about heating control.
    I would generally see a 1.5 to 2 degree variation between master bed and 2nd bedroom in the morning.

Think about getting a digital stat so you can set it more accurately and try setting it to 18 or 19 degrees, your sitting room may still be comfortable and you'd save a chunk on your heating bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Think about getting a digital stat so you can set it more accurately and try setting it to 18 or 19 degrees, your sitting room may still be comfortable and you'd save a chunk on your heating bills.

All good points thanks to all. As mentioned here in Belgium everyone has their thermostat in the livingroom.

The only person in the house receiving central heating is the baby and I fitted a wireless Honeywell there, when the heat is on in our baby's room the bathroom is heated at the same time. In our livingroom/kitchen we are kept cosy with our wood stove.

We use the burner/boiler to heat our domestic water and end up using about 800 litres of oil a year.

We never heat our bedrooms except the baby's.

The only reason I wanted this sorted/aired was my sister in Ireland got a new boiler through the grant scheme and the installer refused to move the stat from the hall into the livingroom as he said if I move the stat you won't get the grant, which I thought was rather strange.

To finalise I think the wireless stat is "your only man":):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I've done a few wiring upgrades for a plumber for the sei grant, he never mentioned to me that the stat must stay where it is and I've never seen that stipulation on the sei website.
    It's worth a phone call to sei to see if the guy is telling the truth or if he is just saying that because he doesn't want to move the stat.

I've used one brand of wireless thermostat with mixed results, I wouldn't want to rely on it through a solid wall for example.
    Yoshytoshy and items, what brands wireless stats have you used and would recommend?
    Reply by PM if you'd rather, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I've done a few wiring upgrades for a plumber for the sei grant, he never mentioned to me that the stat must stay where it is and I've never seen that stipulation on the sei website.
    It's worth a phone call to sei to see if the guy is telling the truth or if he is just saying that because he doesn't want to move the stat.

I'll get her to do that thanks.
    I've used one brand of wireless thermostat with mixed results, I wouldn't want to rely on it through a solid wall for example.

We are delighted with our Honeywell CM 927 as per pic

imageview.php?image=cmt927.jpg&width=250&height=350&type=thumbnail

Advertisement