Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liz McManus

Options
  • 17-02-2010 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

As someone who really didn't give a toss about politics for a long time I am finding myself now figuring out just who are the players in Greystones.

Liz McManus has sent out a newsletter detailing all the wonderful stuff she has done recently.

'Speaking out about the flooding at the Harbour...' Not actually doing anything about it but speaking out.

Nice photo of her and Whathisname Fortune at the Harbour.. problem being the photo was obviously taken over 2 years ago.

Has Liz or any other Politician had a positive impact on our community? So I can start to restore my faith in the system.

Not attacking Liz as such, just she is the first one to catch my attention with her claims of dogoodery. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

As someone who really didn't give a toss about politics for a long time I am finding myself now figuring out just who are the players in Greystones.

Liz McManus has sent out a newsletter detailing all the wonderful stuff she has done recently.

'Speaking out about the flooding at the Harbour...' Not actually doing anything about it but speaking out.

Nice photo of her and Whathisname Fortune at the Harbour.. problem being the photo was obviously taken over 2 years ago.

Has Liz or any other Politician had a positive impact on our community? So I can start to restore my faith in the system.

Not attacking Liz as such, just she is the first one to catch my attention with her claims of dogoodery. :)

Yes Councillor Tom Fortune has been haranguing the council non stop to get things done to stop flooding in that area

It's a wonder that Cllr Simon Harris hasn't caught your attention as well - he's had quite a positive impact in the area of disability locally but is a huge self publicist with a rich uncle

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Cllr. Harris is a good bloke. Who cares about his uncle? Liz is great if you need her help. Dont have much time for Labour but I have voted for her. Even tricky Dicky can be helpful at times if you need him to rattle WCC for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cllr. Harris is a good bloke. Who cares about his uncle? .

Just pointing to the fact that he has significant financial resources - not all politicians or prospective politicians at his stage have that financial backing

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

The chap who has had the most impact on our community is the one who has access to the dollars. Dick Roche. Everyone else is fighting a losing battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

So, so far we have a few councillors who talk about doing stuff but no action. Nothing surprising there.

Simon Harris rings all kinds of alarm bells with me. Who decides as a teenager that he wants to be a Politician? William Hague excluded.

I guess what I am looking for here, is a Councillor who said I will do this and did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Simon Harris works very hard. Perhaps you might take a look at the following

http://simonharris.ie/html/press.html

Many of the issues are local and all are relevant.

I believe it was an interest he had in the lack of services available for children with special needs that politicized him in his teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Cllr. Harris is a good bloke. Who cares about his uncle? Liz is great if you need her help. Dont have much time for Labour but I have voted for her. Even tricky Dicky can be helpful at times if you need him to rattle WCC for anything.

That's what's messed up about politics in this country. It's not about whose policies you support, rather, you vote for who has helped you personally. If a labour politician doesn't help, try the Fianna Fail one. Then vote for the one that helped. Not calling anyone out - I've done it myself. It's a feature of PR, I think. If it was just one vote, you'd likely go for the policies rather than the local favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

most of them are career councillors, they've been around for donkey's years and are completely embedded into the system - their main concern is making sure they've got the votes to get back in the next time round. Mainly they just want to appear to be doing something and getting their names in the local rags - in reality its council officials who make the actual decisions.

Simon Harris is pretty energetic, but he's clearly got his eye on the Dáil and the council is just a stepping stone. (Like blandpebbles my main concern about him is that he has come straight out of school and gone straight to work for Fine Gael - the last thing this country needs is more politicians with no experience of real life - at least some of the older career-politicians started out doing something else).

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

That's what's messed up about politics in this country. It's not about whose policies you support, rather, you vote for who has helped you personally.
    But there is little or no policy difference between any of the major parties. People support them loyally like football teams. There are too few swinging votors. I have no problem being selfish really. Although I would say that Tricky has beed the most useful for me, and I would never vote for him, but I voted Joe Behan. Confused?

I am tending to agree with the sentiment that most are career councillors, good ol boys, who turn up to the opening of a Crisp Packet, and get one of the labourers to fill a few potholes.

Its disheartening to see this, but not surprising.

The first one that is able to say to me, The people wanted this and I gave it to them, will get my vote. So I guess I won't be voting :)

I have thought in non-serious way about the idea of running for local councillor but wonder how long it would take to be ground down by cronie-ism, bureaucracy and the brown envelope culture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

I have often pondered the idea of running for local councillor but wonder how long it would take to be ground down by cronie-ism, bureaucracy and the brown envelope culture.

"As someone who really didn't give a toss about politics for a long time "

to running for local councillor !!!!!!

There is a difference between wanting to drive a bus and knowing how to drive a bus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

Have to say, I had a bad experience with Dick Roche myself.
    I was having hassle with WCC and when I went into see him, he knew I was fuming (because he was partly to blame for what happened) so he told me how he ws just back from Brussels, he had to jet out in 'Berties' private jet.
    He was trying to distract me to try and take away from the fact that he ****** up.
    I also had problems with a certain Labour councellor, who when I called about my problem, was nothing but rude and ignorant.

It will be interesting to see how Simon Harris gets on, young blood couldn't do any harm, at least he seems to be trying to get things done.

Unlike Mr.Roche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

When I was living in the Court she called to the door and introduced herself as being "THE TD for the area"

She is A TD for the area, not THE TD.

Advertisement