Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish defence force

• 17-02-2010 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi im doing my leaving cert this june and hoping to join the army when they start recruiting again will it be hard ? ,its the only career i want to take on and will stop at nothing till i gain a place an advice will be greatly appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Don't really think anyone knows when the army is actually recruitng...

Anyhow im gonna tell ye my plan of action... Right well I tried to apply to join around a year and a half ago, a short while later i got all my papers back as they were not recruiting. I then decided to join the RDF in order to get a feel for the PDF and to also increase my chances of getting in. In the mean time im finishing out college and by the time im finished(may 2011) they should hopefully be recruiting. By this summer I am going to start doing some more intense physical training. If when I finish college they are still not recruitin I plan to do a Potential NCO course within the RDF to again increase my chances.

Basically I am constantly trying to increase my chances of getting in and occupy myself in the mean time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

hi im doing my leaving cert this june and hoping to join the army when they start recruiting again will it be hard ? ,its the only career i want to take on and will stop at nothing till i gain a place an advice will be greatly appreciated .

Keep an eye out on www.military.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Very proud of you guys, I hope you make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Evd-Burner wrote: »

Anyhow im gonna tell ye my plan of action... Right well I tried to apply to join around a year and a half ago, a short while later i got all my papers back as they were not recruiting. I then decided to join the RDF in order to get a feel for the PDF and to also increase my chances of getting in. In the mean time im finishing out college and by the time im finished(may 2011) they should hopefully be recruiting. By this summer I am going to start doing some more intense physical training. If when I finish college they are still not recruitin I plan to do a Potential NCO course within the RDF to again increase my chances.

Basically I am constantly trying to increase my chances of getting in and occupy myself in the mean time.
    just because you do an nco course in the rdf don,t mean diddly **** about getting into the pdf because at the end of the day your goin in as a raw recruit thats meant to know nothing and if ya used the i know everything mentallity in recruit training your directive staff will crease the feck out of ya!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 xMuff1nMaNx

so would i have a good chance if i was to apply when recruiting starts again ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

so would i have a good chance if i was to apply when recruiting starts again ?

I would say the competition for places will be mad for the first couple of years,as expected. The Army will have the luxury of picking and choosing. Would you not think of 3rd level first then try for a Cadetship?

Thats what I am doing,and have been advised to do. Failing a Cadetship I will go for enlisted. Hopefully in 2 years when I finish college the will be recruiting again.

And get involved in Sports,local clubs and the like. I was told they like that sort of thing!

just because you do an nco course in the rdf don,t mean diddly **** about getting into the pdf because at the end of the day your goin in as a raw recruit thats meant to know nothing and if ya used the i know everything mentallity in recruit training your directive staff will crease the feck out of ya!!!!

Your preaching to the choir bud... My plans aren't to go in thinking I know everything, the reason I would do the nco course would be so that I have a better chance of getting in, becuase as far as i'm aware the criteria for getting in is done in a scoring. That you get extra points/percentages for having certain things. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think its 2 points for being a private in the RDF and 4 for being an NCO. So if being an NCO in the RDF helps me get into the PDF then here I come Potenetial NCO course, plus it should help with fitness and discipline (to a certain degree of course).

If I did get in i'd play dumb to my training NCO's, becuase I know that as a reservist I wouldn't know have the amount of things my equivelant would have in the pdf. Plus I know most of the PDF dislike us baggers :)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

You get points if you are applying for a Cadetship. Don't know how it works for General Enlistment but it won't be detrimental.

On the recruitment side, Willie O'Dea announced the following on 16/02/10
    Minister for Defence (Deputy Willie O’Dea): As I have already stated in the House within the available resources, I am committed to maintaining the strength of the Defence Forces at a level of 10,000 all ranks, for which I have secured Government approval in the context of Budget 2010. This reflects the reductions in personnel recommended in the Report of the Special Group on Public Service Numbers and Expenditure Programmes.

I am advised by the Military authorities that the strength of the Permanent Defence Force as at 31 December, 2009 was, 9,933 comprising 8,095 Army, 801 Air Corps and 1,037 Naval Service.

As the numbers in the Permanent Defence Force have dropped below 10,000, recruitment will be carried out in 2010 in order to bring the numbers back to this level. Details of the recruitment campaign for 2010 in relation to the numbers of general service recruits, Air Corps apprentices etc. are not yet available. Planning for this process is underway and will be prioritised based on the operational requirements of the Defence Forces.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20100216.XML&Page=2&Ex=4023#N4023

Im just hoping that the CIS needs peeps in a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭dahamster

Im just hoping that the CIS needs peeps in a year and a half.

What makes you think that you will get into a CIS Coy straight from recruit training?

• Advertisement

A masters in computing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

concentrate on getting in first before you start planning anything!!! you come across as a wee bit cocky evd burner

More determined than cocky tbh, just trying to be positive/hopefull that I will actually get in. Lol if ye knew me you'd know i'm far from cocky.

It sucked big time when the recruitment ban came out. Im just sorry I hadnt applied earlier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Good plan. Anyone else who is really interested in joining would be advised to do similar.

Thanks gunner...

Just wondering does anybody have an idea on what questions they ask within the interview itself? Its one thing i've never really looked into...

Thanks gunner...

Just wondering does anybody have an idea on what questions they ask within the interview itself? Its one thing i've never really looked into...

The last interview structure was designed to establish the levels of competencies in 4 areas:

1. Ability to work under pressure e.g. 'Give us an example of a situation where you feel under pressure'.
    2. Teamwork e.g. 'Give is an example of when you found it difficult to work in a team'.
    3. Motivation e.g. 'Can you tell us about a time you had to motivate yourself to do something you didn't want to do'.
    4. Career Orientation e.g. 'Why do you want to join the Army'.

Work on anticipating questions in these areas and your responses and that should help.

lol....

1. College, jaysus its pressure having to work and go to college.

2. lol college again.

3. not too sure on that, what kind of situations would they be looking for? would having to work in a job that i absolutely despise for over 4 years count?

4. Suppose they always get 'Its what ive always wanted to do.

lol....

2. lol college again.

3. not too sure on that, what kind of situations would they be looking for? would having to work in a job that i absolutely despise for over 4 years count?

If the competition takes the same format as the last then the interview is the one element that a candidate can really make his/her mark in. Everything else is pass or fail. The interview is the key to your placing on the list.

Original, well thought out, articulate responses that leave an impression on the interview board is what will set candidates apart from one other.

Suppose there aint really much point in worrying about it now, have to wait and see if I actually get an interview like. Lol if I get one you can guarantee I'll be on here looking for help/advice/tips etc :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LEGEND24

i would really advise gettin urself involved in some sorta sports if ur not already! the army really looks on people in a positive note who are sports orientated of some sort. plus it will help as regards ur questions in the interview as regards working in a team/under pressure etc...

• Advertisement

lol....

2. lol college again.

1. Sure, that shows character and determination and perseverance. They want to know when you commit yourself to something that your going to follow through.

2. Sure but be specific about some team project or project that involved work with others and how you did really well. They want to see initative, leadership, sociability, that kind of stuff.

3. Absolutley. Spot on. I wouldnt emphasise how much you hate it though just a brief mention, dont dwell on the negative. They want to know that you can endure some hardship while working towards something, that you're not a quitter.

4. I think thats okay. I think they'd be happy to hear that. But expand on it. Serving your country, your community. The physical challenge. The variety, the excitment. Travel. gettting to shoot guns...

These are just random thoughts, I have no experience in this. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

im in the exact same boat as you muff, doing the l.c , im mad to join army.want to be an equitation cadet. it is going to be really tough i would say due to the fact willie o' dea only needs to recruit around 100 people this year. is the RDF recruiting now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

richy1 wrote: »
    im in the exact same boat as you muff, doing the l.c , im mad to join army.want to be an equitation cadet. it is going to be really tough i would say due to the fact willie o' dea only needs to recruit around 100 people this year. is the RDF recruiting now

you'll want to work on your communication skills before you go anywhere near the application process.

i've no idea if the paragraph you've written is typical of how you communicate in either a written or verbal form, or whether its a 'one off', but the only thing that seperates an Army from a random mob is communication - what you've written is incoherant, as well as indicating that you hadn't noticed that Mr O'Dea resigned as Minister of Defence some time ago...

i'm not being a grammer nazi or particularly having a personal dig at you, but the ability to coherantly communicate your thoughts to others is vital, utterly vital, in an army - if you wish the Army to give your application a second glance you must get into the habbit of writing and speaking clearly, coherantly and ensuring that the person you're addressing understands exactly what you mean, the first time they read or hear it.

its not something you can 'keep in your pocket' for special occasions, its something you need to do everytime you open your mouth or put pen to paper, regardless of how tired you are or how much pressure you're under.

if - at 7pm on a weekday after a day of doing very little at work - i had to read your post twice, and make some educated guesses at what you'd meant, before i could understand what you'd written, what are the chances that i would of got it right first time while laying in a mortar at 3am, in freezing rain, having not slept for 72hrs?

not a personal dig in any way, just mentioning that in the same way as the Army's version of physical fitness and self-discipline are somewhat removed from civilian standards, so is communication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

OS119 wrote: »
    you'll want to work on your communication skills before you go anywhere near the application process.

i've no idea if the paragraph you've written is typical of how you communicate in either a written or verbal form, or whether its a 'one off', but the only thing that seperates an Army from a random mob is communication - what you've written is incoherant, as well as indicating that you hadn't noticed that Mr O'Dea resigned as Minister of Defence some time ago...

i'm not being a grammer nazi or particularly having a personal dig at you, but the ability to coherantly communicate your thoughts to others is vital, utterly vital, in an army - if you wish the Army to give your application a second glance you must get into the habbit of writing and speaking clearly, coherantly and ensuring that the person you're addressing understands exactly what you mean, the first time they read or hear it.

its not something you can 'keep in your pocket' for special occasions, its something you need to do everytime you open your mouth or put pen to paper, regardless of how tired you are or how much pressure you're under.

if - at 7pm on a weekday after a day of doing very little at work - i had to read your post twice, and make some educated guesses at what you'd meant, before i could understand what you'd written, what are the chances that i would of got it right first time while laying in a mortar at 3am, in freezing rain, having not slept for 72hrs?

not a personal dig in any way, just mentioning that in the same way as the Army's version of physical fitness and self-discipline are somewhat removed from civilian standards, so is communication.

That's actually exactly what u are being. His post wasn't that badly written. I really doubt if he was in the Army he would write like that in formal letters or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    That's actually exactly what u are being. His post wasn't that badly written. I really doubt if he was in the Army he would write like that in formal letters or whatever.

He's only giving constructive critisism. And he's right to be fair. Good communication skills are vital in the Army. He's only trying to put the guy straight by giving some advice. The army wouldent look at you if your application form was incoherant and hard to read, just like examiners wont spend as much time looking at an exam paper for the same reason.

Btw,to any smart-arse who points out any grammer mistakes in my post,I have had a long day so I am allowed :P

If they only take a small number of recruits a year then they can pick from the best and why wouldnt they?

So anything that raises a flag, be it spelling or having dirty shoes in an interview, is going to make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Maskedgameguru

Well I know my cousin is in the army and I was talking to him last weekend he said that recruitment should be going ahead in the end on 2010.

He said send in your application forums now so at least they have it on file so when it goes ahead again that you should be picked first.

Same as myself now I really want to get into too but we have to give it time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ArdMhacha

I'm nearly positive that any applications received will only be posted back to the applicant. Just wait until recruitment is announced and then apply

Well I know my cousin is in the army and I was talking to him last weekend he said that recruitment should be going ahead in the end on 2010.

He said send in your application forums now so at least they have it on file so when it goes ahead again that you should be picked first.

Same as myself now I really want to get into too but we have to give it time.

Do not send in any application forms until any recruitment process commences. They will not be held on file.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Well said.

Firstly, i realise that willie o'dea has resigned but that does not change the quota that has to be maintained which is at 10, 000 , as it as fell to 9,800 approx, recruitment will have to most likely take place, with or without willie o'dea.
    Secondly, i dont know how you can talk about my speech, as this is a written message, you have not heard me speak before.Speaking and writing are two totally different forms of communication.

Do you think for a second i would right a letter in this way.I treat writing a letter and typing a message on boards.ie very differently.I believe you can keep writing good in your pocket for special occasions. I text like this everyday, yet im an honours english student hoping for an A.

If you had trouble understanding my initial post ,then i feel you would struggle greatly in the problem solving and understanding part of the army.

I dont want to come across as a prick, but i felt a simple ' your text is difficult to understand' would have suffice.

I apologise for writing in this manner, i know its not liked on forums.I think people can comprehend my message though. is the rdf recruiting at the moment ??

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Sorry for digging up an oldish tread, but i was just wondering, Do you need a foreign language(3rd language) in your leaving cert to apply for cadetship?..thought i heard somewhere aswell, that if you have a 3rd level degree your exempt?

Griffen262 wrote: »
    Sorry for digging up an oldish tread, but i was just wondering, Do you need a foreign language(3rd language) in your leaving cert to apply for cadetship?..thought i heard somewhere aswell, that if you have a 3rd level degree your exempt?
    yes 3rd language needed. no its seems people with a 3rd level degree will have greater chance of joining than somone out of leaving cert

richy1 wrote: »
    yes 3rd language needed. no its seems people with a 3rd level degree will have greater chance of joining than somone out of leaving cert

Thanks, but this is whats confusing me.
    based on my Scottish Highers alone, I definitely wouldn't make the cut, as I don't have a second language, which is a mandatory requirement for Competition Entrants who don't have a degree

Quoted from another thread, does he mean that if you have a degree, a 3rd language is not required?

Griffen262 wrote: »
    Thanks, but this is whats confusing me.

Quoted from another thread, does he mean that if you have a degree, a 3rd language is not required?
    from reading the requirements here http://www.military.ie/careers/booklets/Cadet%20Booklet%202009%20%28update%29.pdf i think he might be right. its confusing alright.although i think its a level 8 college you need to graduate from and i think you need a third langauge to get into a level 8 college. not 100% sure so would be best to call the defence forces

• Advertisement

Ya after reading that link, It sounds like you need a degree from one of the NUI colleges, which i think the only courses that dont need a 3rd language are engineering courses, maybe im wrong. But thanks for the replys, and id say your right, I better ring the DF and get an answer in plain english. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mikey2010

i am just wondering what you are studying in college that would increase your chances of getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭robgti

is it a big problem if you have some convictions?? like i was banned from driving with my first ever speeding offence for six months:P thats one conviction... this is my worry, my friend brought me home a novelty pen from the states i hadnt a clue what he was handing me :confused: so stupid me put it in my dash borad tought nothing of it few hours later i got pulled over in a routen car search by garda controll, when they gave my car a good going over they pulled out the pen which was still in the package didnt say on it what content it was and he opened it which show it was a 1 to 1 pen size and shape with cap fecking pepper spray in it again i was hoping for some lenance off him telling him my story, I WAS FECKING DONE with it :mad:......... so can anyone please state if that a serious offence and would it prvent me getting into the army, and what would you consider a serious offence not to get in....

thanks in advance

You were banned from driving due to an offence under the Firearms Act? Or was that due to speeding, I can't quite figure out your post.

I couldn't comment on your eligibility for service but I find this quite strange. All I can say is, apply and explain your situation.

concussion wrote: »
    You were banned from driving due to an offence under the Firearms Act? Or was that due to speeding, I can't quite figure out your post.

I couldn't comment on your eligibility for service but I find this quite strange. All I can say is, apply and explain your situation.

sorry about that, i was banned from driving for my first ever speeding offence nothing to do with the novelty pen/pepper spay, i did apply and explain in the online app form, but as im training my ass off, i realise i could be doing it all for nothing and its what i realy realy want it bad, im just sick to my stomack that happendend to me, something so stupid like that could effect the course i want my life to go :mad:, also i mentoned speeding and that pepper spray as they are my convictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

robgti wrote: »
    sorry about that, i was banned from driving for my first ever speeding offence nothing to do with the novelty pen/pepper spay, i did apply and explain in the online app form, but as im training my ass off, i realise i could be doing it all for nothing and its what i realy realy want it bad, im just sick to my stomack that happendend to me, something so stupid like that could effect the course i want my life to go :mad:, also i mentoned speeding and that pepper spray as they are my convictions

With the numbers likely to apply it would be unlikely that anyone with any convictions would get past the first part of the vetting process. In all probability they have set the computers to bin anyone who answered yes to the questions on convictions

SIRREX wrote: »
    With the numbers likely to apply it would be unlikely that anyone with any convictions would get past the first part of the vetting process. In all probability they have set the computers to bin anyone who answered yes to the questions on convictions

sooo thats me screwed :mad: im gona go to a solictor see if i have grounds to get my convictions squashed, after fecking all i gave a big donation to charity to the judges choice for keeping the conviction off my record as agreed......

From Pat O'Connors Facebook
    Recruitment FAQ
    by Pat O'Connor on Monday, 13 September 2010 at 16:04

Q: If I apply for the wrong brigade by mistake or make a mistake on the form or change my mind where I want to apply for after submitting what do I do, who can I contact, can I reapply?

A: If someone wants to change their application they need to reapply to the new Brigade and send an email to recruitment@defenceforces.ie asking to remove the other application.

Q: Once you apply should you receive an email straighaway saying the application was received?

A: The system will send an automatic acknowledgement within 24 hrs, seems a lot of these are going into peoples junk folders.

Q: When will you receive a mail saying you have met the minimum criteria and will be going forward for fitness testing?

A: If you do not meet the minimum criteria you will be told by email, everyone else can assume they are ok for PT testing.

Q: Will the West and DFTC be fitness testing in 2010?

A: To be comfirmed but likely in 2011.

Advertisement