Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling hallway and kitchen

• 17-02-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi,

I am getting my Hallway and kitchen tiled with the same tile, using the brickwork effect.

I was wondering would it be better to follow the brickwork pattern from the kitchen out through to the hall with no break in pattern or should it stop at the kitchen door and have a stainless steel (or whatever) partition and begin again in the hall?

I should point out that the hallway does have a couple of angles - its not completely straight outto the front door so maintaining the brickwork through from the kitchen to the hallway will be more difficult I would imagine.

Anyone who has done this or knows anything about it I would welcome their feedback.

Thanks,
    RR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

Hi mods, can you please move this to interior design please. I meant to post it there. THanks, RR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What ever pattern you use in one room continue it. It makes the rooms look bigger due to the continous factor. However the centre of the kitchen is the dominent part of the house so brick effect will look far better there than in the hall.

Due to the nature of hallways paterns dont stand out but borders do. however due to the nature of kitchens borders dont stand out but patterns do,

Let your kitchen lead

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

Thanks Joey for the reply. I will use the brickwork pattern in the hall also.

I suppose I'm wondering should the pattern stop at the doorway (i.e. the tiles be cut at where the closed door would be and have some trim or something representing the doorway). And the pattern would start again on the other side of the doorway in the hall and continue through the hall.

Or should the kitchen tiles not be cut at the doorway and just continue under the door maintaining the pattern out into the hall.

I'm not sure if i'm making myself clear with the above. But any questions let me know.

Thanks,
    RR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

RebelRebel wrote: »
    Thanks Joey for the reply. I will use the brickwork pattern in the hall also.

I suppose I'm wondering should the pattern stop at the doorway (i.e. the tiles be cut at where the closed door would be and have some trim or something representing the doorway). And the pattern would start again on the other side of the doorway in the hall and continue through the hall.

Or should the kitchen tiles not be cut at the doorway and just continue under the door maintaining the pattern out into the hall.

I'm not sure if i'm making myself clear with the above. But any questions let me know.

Thanks,
    RR

What ever you want. but tbh the normal thing is to continue it on. in other words dont break it. However if you do break it and decide later you want to change the hall it will be an easier ending.

Advertisement