Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranalagh Bike Shop

• 17-02-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

So I was cycling into college yesterday and I got my third flat wheel in 12 hours so I decided to get a new tube and punture repair kit and the nearest shop was the one in Ranalagh.

They came to €9.50 for a standard 700 x 23 tube and a repaire kit. So I asked for a receipt and with a groan he handed me a slip of paper with €9.50 witten on it and not even the shop name on it. So I asked for it itemised and he said he couldn't do that as the till was not set up for that.

Also, neither the tube or the repair kit had a price on them. I took them because I was despirite but two of my friends had also gone there recently and been charged different prices. :mad:

Not cool!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I am not entirely sure what your problem is, that sounds like a completely normal price for what you bought.

Demanding an itemised receipt for a tube and puncture repair kit, WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Cheap as chips, actually cheaper than 4 bags of chips..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

9.50 for a tube and repair kit, sounds bloody cheap to me.

FWIW, years ago I wanted to put slicks on my old MTB commuter, rang around for the particular Schwalbe model and that little shop in Ranelagh was the cheapest by far. The geezer was good to deal with too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Trevor E wrote: »
    So I asked for a receipt and with a groan he handed me a slip of paper with €9.50 witten on it and not even the shop name on it. So I asked for it itemised and he said he couldn't do that as the till was not set up for that.

Are you claiming expenses or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭forza_milo

Just because you're paranoid doesn't meant that they're not out to get you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

7-8 euro for a tube 3 for a repair kit, you got a good enough deal saved a 1-2 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

If someone hacked off my legs in Ranelagh and I needed to purchase new ones from a bike shop, I would crawl on the bloody stumps to Think Bike in Rathmines.

I was treated like dirt by the owner of that shop, in a similar situation to the OP's and I will never darken its door again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev23f

If someone hacked off my legs in Ranelagh and I needed to purchase new ones from a bike shop, I would crawl on the bloody stumps to Think Bike in Rathmines.

I was treated like dirt by the owner of that shop, in a similar situation to the OP's and I will never darken its door again.
    i'll second that, i used to live 5 minutes from that shop, but the guy in it was so unbelievably rude i never went there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Every customer is entitled to an itemised receipt. citizensinformation.ie even goes as far as to specifically recommend it. I don't think it's up to us to judge anyone else's reasons.

As for the shop itself, I've had mixed experiences. I once went when I lived in the neighbourhood, thinking I should support my LBS, and the lock I bought was overpriced and didn't work properly. Another time, I got a puncture as I was passing nearby and he very kindly interrupted his lunch to fix it at short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    I don't think it's up to us to judge anyone else's reasons.

Isn't that the point of this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

kev23f wrote: »
    i'll second that, i used to live 5 minutes from that shop, but the guy in it was so unbelievably rude i never went there again.

I'm not a fan of the shop either, It's the closet one to me in work, but I'd never go there again. I've walked in the rain to rathmines instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Morgan wrote: »
    Isn't that the point of the internet?
    FYP. :)

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Every customer is entitled to an itemised receipt. citizensinformation.ie even goes as far as to specifically recommend it. I don't think it's up to us to judge anyone else's reasons.
    It's a tube and a repair kit FFS coming to €9.50. Sure you can demand it, but you are being a tool.

The internet has judged and its judgement is final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Explosive_Cornflake

your a chick right?
    cool name :cool:. that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I think the OP is annoyed in that he may have assumed that the shop simply made up the price.
    This happens a lot. Certain bike shops in town have no real prices. So if you are a regular or they are happy you get a good price etc.
    I buy consumables in Cycleogical and Cycleways. Some guys in both shops who probably know my face by now will give a much better price.
    Just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I have mostly good experiences of the guy in Ranelagh, last week he rreplaced two broken spokes for only €5, can't complain about that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Trevor E

blorg wrote: »
    I am not entirely sure what your problem is, that sounds like a completely normal price for what you bought.

Demanding an itemised receipt for a tube and puncture repair kit, WTF?

I seem to be misconstrued. I did't say that I paid an unreasonable price or mean to sound like that. I said 3 people went into a shop and they all bought the same items and they all paid different prices.

The itemised receipt was only to see was there set prices for the items, nothing else.
    forza_milo wrote: »
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't meant that they're not out to get you...

There out for you too, you just don't know it yet :)
    ROK ON wrote: »
    I think the OP is annoyed in that he may have assumed that the shop simply made up the price.
    This happens a lot. Certain bike shops in town have no real prices. So if you are a regular or they are happy you get a good price etc.
    I buy consumables in Cycleogical and Cycleways. Some guys in both shops who probably know my face by now will give a much better price.
    Just the way it is.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't relaise that that was how it worked with these shops. Can't complain if its broadly excepted so.

Trevor E wrote: »
    I seem to be misconstrued. I did't say that I paid an unreasonable price or mean to sound like that. I said 3 people went into a shop and they all bought the same items and they all paid different prices.

The itemised receipt was only to see was there set prices for the items, nothing else.
    It's his shop, he can charge what he likes for the items. No law says he has to charge the same price to everyone. You can buy the stuff or not. If you were so concerned you could have just asked him how much each item cost rather than demanding an itemised receipt.

As ROK_ON says shops will often give discounts to regular customers (they also load him up with free water bottles I believe.)

Next time demand a free water bottle. And a loan of his pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

It's his shop, he can charge what he likes for the items. No law says he has to charge the same price to everyone. You can buy the stuff or not. If you were so concerned you could have just asked him how much each item cost rather than demanding an itemised receipt.

The customer is absolutely entitled to a receipt, no matter how annoying it might be for the owner to produce one for a relatively small transaction. As far as I can tell, the OP isn't complaining about the price. He's complaining about getting less than satisfactory service when he asked for something to which he's entitled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Plus there is also an obligation to display prices:
    Q1. I was shopping in my local supermarket yesterday and there was no price displayed for some products. Is this legal?

In general, retailers must display the selling price of every item offered for sale. More specifically, the European Communities (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002 requires that all products on sale to consumers must show a selling price in euro and a large number of products that are sold by weight or volume must show a unit price by reference to the metric measure. A price indication should be either on the product itself or on the shelf edge label.
    By law, traders are obliged to display the selling price in euro and in certain circumstances the unit price (the price per kilogram) for all products offered for sale to consumers.
    If you are concerned that a retailer is not adhering to the law in this area, please contact the National Consumer Agency.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Price-display/

If a retailer decides to give discounts, its up to him, but he is also legally obliged to display prices and issue proper receipts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Not that it adds anything to the debate but I'm surprised that €9.50 for a tube and repair kit is considered reasonable. Must be Dublin prices :confused: In an dire emergency I would begrudingly stump that up but I paid £2.99 for a Conti inner tube and £2.99 for a Cure-C-Cure kit from my LBS last week and he's considered expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Trevor E

bbosco said
    As far as I can tell, the OP isn't complaining about the price. He's complaining about getting less than satisfactory service when he asked for something to which he's entitled.

Your right I'm not complaining about the price, although I d be more accustomed to paying "el tel's" prices. I ll be taking a trip up to ASDA next time up north to stock up.

My gripe was that he just picked a price at random to charge me.

bbosco wrote: »
    The customer is absolutely entitled to a receipt, no matter how annoying it might be for the owner to produce one for a relatively small transaction. As far as I can tell, the OP isn't complaining about the price. He's complaining about getting less than satisfactory service when he asked for something to which he's entitled.
    Fair enough, I think it is overkill myself. He got a receipt, just not an itemised one. Maybe try asking for an itemised receipt next time you buy a bag of penny sweets or whatever they cost these days. No, total is not sufficient, I want a count of the cola bottles.

If he had pushed the matter I am sure he could have got the guy to break the €9.50 into two parts on the written receipt (there is no obligation to provide a printed one) but FFS.

I don't think I have ever been in a supermarket in my LIFE where everything was priced properly. Maybe better get on that one droidus.

As to the price good luck getting a tube in a Dublin shop for £2.99 (€3.50). That is a GOOD online price from the UK, CRC do cheap "Airwave" tubes for that price (they are fine as far as I can make out) and you are unlikely to get better unless buying in bulk (I do and this gets it down to £2 for Airwave or ~£2.50 for "brand" name tubes from Ribble where I do a massive order once a year or so.)

By contrast Wiggle just to pick an example sell Conti tubes for £4.99 (€5.75) and I have been asked for as much as €8 in a Dublin shop (I didn't buy it.)

I have mixed experiences with the guy in Ranelagh, generally with the quality of his wheel truing, but his prices and service have always been more than reasonable... he generally fixes anything on the spot which is a rare service indeed.

Bottom line, "I didn't get an itemised receipt for my reasonably priced tube and puncture repair kit" does not, IMHO, justify starting a thread on the internet to complain about it. Not in the Cycling forum anyway, maybe try Rants & Raves.

I don't think I have ever been in a supermarket in my LIFE where everything was priced properly. Maybe better get on that one droidus.

Hey - nothing to do with me. I'm just the messenger. If you have a problem with it speak to the NCA. :D Most shops do have some kind of price tagging system though, even if some of the prices are wrong.

Personally, shops that don't put price tags on their products drive me mad, and it also seems to be against the law. A proper receipt is not a scrawled bit of paper, it must have a stamp, an address and shop name or an identifying mark of some kind.

In Italy you get a receipt for even the smallest purchase... :)

droidus wrote: »
    In Italy you get a receipt for even the smallest purchase... :)
    And you as the customer can be fined by the police if you can't show it to them within 100 metres of exiting the shop. The reason for that is a history of massive tax evasion, it's not some sort of consumer protection thing.

Supermarkets missing prices on stuff drives me mad too but in the size of the bike shop in Ranelagh it is trivially easy to ask him how much anything costs if it doesn't have a price on it. IIRC he does have prices on most stuff too. In a supermarket I generally have to just take the item to the till and ask there how much they cost. Pain in the neck. I wouldn't mind so much if every supermarket gave me a personal shopper who knew the prices as I walked around.

And you as the customer can be fined by the police if you can't show it to them within 100 metres of exiting the shop. The reason for that is a history of massive tax evasion, it's not some sort of consumer protection thing.

Interesting. I thought it was due to tax evasion by shops... I only mentioned it cos I thought it might be more 'euro' (and therefore better) or something... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I've found him to be fairly unhelpful too. He won't keep a bike overnight when repairing, and I had to make repeated calls to him to check up on a simple part - went on for best part of a week till I switched to Think Bike in Rathmines.

He doesn't have space to keep bikes. He makes this clear enough I would think and the flip side is if you want something done on the spot or same day he is one of the few that will do it.

ThinkBike are also a very good shop certainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Bikeshop bashing gets old very fast. I have had good and bad experiences in everyshop. Get the **** overyerself. Prices change, a tube and a repair kit for under a tenner isnt a rip off. what were yer mates charged? €9.10 and maybe €9.35. Would you have complained if you paid less? **** sake?

The bad? well, I find the customers atitude has alot to do with it to be fair.

If you come in thinking your spending some $$ and its your right for your arse to be licked then, Im sorry but I think you should cop on.(Sweeping generalisation, not directed at OP)

A person with a smile and some patience will always be treated better than a arrogant tosser. How many people can claim to be in a good mood, and not make mistakes from 9-5? there will ALWAYS be a time when somebody isnt in the mood.

Im involved with both sides of the coin and in can tell you that its true.

Why cant we have a thread about good experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

kona wrote: »

If you come in thinking your spending some $$ and its your right for your arse to be licked then, Im sorry but I think you should cop on.(Sweeping generalisation, not directed at OP)

There's a fundamental difference between wanting your arse to be licked and the expectation of basic civility. So there is.

Advertisement