Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranalagh Bike Shop

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I quite like that little shop in Ranelagh, I usually go to Think Bike in fairness, but if I am ever looking for something small I'll pop in there if I'm passing.

Got a BB lock-nut-tool or whatever they are called in there a few months ago. Went in, tried to describe what it was unsuccessfully for a few minutes until the guy in there said "Oh, you mean this yoke? It's been there for ages, give us a tenner for it"

Of course, you are all going to have to take me at my word that I paid that much for it. Maybe I should have asked for a recipt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

There's a fundamental difference between wanting your arse to be licked and the expectation of basic civility. So there is.

Have you worked in retail recently? like the last 3 years?

There is a growing minority of people with this attitude, who firmly believe that unless we take their pathtic offers ( like half the RRP), while licking their arse because we are so desperate for their few euro, we will go out of business. Cop the **** on.

Obviously there are others who dont fit this description, but youd be suprised the ****e that comes out of peoples mouths when they have to spend money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

This is happening in most industries these days. If you don't let them shaft you they'll take their money to someone who will

This is happening in most industries these days. If you don't let them shaft you they'll take their money to someone who will

It is quite sad, although there are people who do "get" the whole deal.

Off topic, but there was a amusing thread over in motors a few weeks ago, some moron was moaning about Ford Ireland providing a crap service and not servicing his car until the following week.
    Then he acts suprised at this because he had ****ed off up north and bought it there. Well, If I was Ford Ireland Id have told him he can tow his car back and get the "Better Service" ,"Cheaper" up there.

The motor Industry is ****ed and these clowns are pulling this crap, fair play to Ford for doing their own customers first.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Sorry if I've misunderstood you, but are you complaining about customers taking their business elsewhere if they can get a better price?

• Advertisement

bbosco wrote: »
    Sorry if I've misunderstood you, but are you complaining about customers taking their business elsewhere if they can get a better price?

Its the way they do it. No issues with people shopping around. Its their attitude, its like unless you sell me that bike at a loss Im going elsewhere.

Then they get the hump when you dont play along.Im sorry but its a business not a charity, if you havnt cycled in 20 years, how the **** do you know what a fair offer is?
    Many people are so paranoid of being ripped off, they think the Bike shops make 100% profit...they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

kona wrote: »
    Have you worked in retail recently? like the last 3 years?

There is a growing minority of people with this attitude, who firmly believe that unless we take their pathtic offers ( like half the RRP), while licking their arse because we are so desperate for their few euro, we will go out of business. Cop the **** on.

Obviously there are others who dont fit this description, but youd be suprised the ****e that comes out of peoples mouths when they have to spend money.

So you're responding to my call for basic civility with 'cop the asterisk on'? Well isn't that Alanis?

I have worked in retail, though not in the last three years, and I would never have dreamt of speaking to a customer like I was spoken to in that shop. In fact I wouldn't dream of speaking to anybody in that manner, assuming they hadn't grossly offended or endangered me.

I'm not talking about the right of bike mechanics to look down on me, Lord knows they are superior to me in almost every way, but being a **** is being a ****, no matter where you are.

bbosco wrote: »

No, price is a different matter, it's more to do with the attitude after agreeing price. I'm paying you A to do B, so I basically own you now and I'll ask you to do a few extras free of charge and threaten to pull my custom if you have a problem with it. I understand that there is a fine line between that and being able to get more for less, however, this doesn't involve treating people lieke they're "the help".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

No, price is a different matter, it's more to do with the attitude after agreeing price. I'm paying you A to do B, so I basically own you now and I'll ask you to do a few extras free of charge and threaten to pull my custom if you have a problem with it. I understand that there is a fine line between that and being able to get more for less, however, this doesn't involve treating people lieke they're "the help".

Try being a public servant for a few days.

LOL, the experiences I've had that have allowed me to come to my opinion involved civil servants for the most part (but obviously higher up the ladder)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,106 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Which part of "servant" do you not understand? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I had a very good experience in that shop just a while ago. My chain broke and I was really stuck. The guy in the shop fixed it for me on the spot. excellent job and total price including parts --- €2.50.

Now there's service for you! My favourite shop in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

Reyman wrote: »
    My chain broke and I was really stuck.

Ha! My situation was exactly the same. Is it cause I is black, I can't help but wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Reyman wrote: »
    I had a very good experience in that shop just a while ago. My chain broke and I was really stuck. The guy in the shop fixed it for me on the spot. excellent job and total price including parts --- €2.50.
    Hope you got an itemised receipt, what was the division between parts and labour? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

blorg wrote: »
    Hope you got an itemised receipt, what was the division between parts and labour? :D

Nah, no - I didn't pay. Bought him a pint in Birchalls instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

In some ways I've to agree with the OP. I'd be a little struck too for a €9.50, looking back over my internet purchases recently. A repair kit and tube would come to about €6.50, so yea its more expensive locally but you are getting the convenience factor. Of course if you take it as a percentage (and I think this is where the OP's sentiments are born from) a 46% increase is ridiculous, but they know people need tube and repair kits.

BTW: @OP; don't ask for an itemised bill by way of trying to tell the shop assistant you think you've been over charged. It seems petty. Just voice any concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The point is though 72oo that any shop in Dublin would charge around that, more in many cases. I've been asked for €8 for a tube alone. €9.50 with a repair kit is in no way an exceptional price. As for online, Wiggle have tubes at €5.75 on their own.

Sometimes LBS can be cheaper too, I got a brake nut recently in a local shop, when I asked how much, he shrugged and said "a euro?" Perfectly happy with that, same nut is €4.50 on CRC. I didn't report him for not having the price publicly displayed on the part he rooted out of his parts drawer.

If you don't like the price shop somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

blorg wrote: »
    If you don't like the price shop somewhere else.

Indeed I'm sure the OP (as I did) will learn the virtues of internet ordering a bulk of tubes cheap and carrying one in future!

Advertisement