Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

logcabin build , few questions.

Options
  • 17-02-2010 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

hi
    im looking to build a 3 x 3 logcabin to the rear of my house. im going for a flat double roof ,with insulation in roof and floor with a 70mm wall thickness . it will be used as a games room . just a few questions .
    will 70mm wall be warm enough in the winter .

sould i go for steel roof of shingle .

also im using www.loghouse.ie anybody use them before .
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

. just a few questions .
    will 70mm wall be warm enough in the winter .

sould i go for steel roof of shingle .

Do you intend to use a source of heat within your log cabin.

Steel is definitely durable, and long lasting. But you would need to stick rigidly to your manufacturers specs in relation to fitting insulation in the roof build up, so as not to cause any problems with condensation , and moisture retention in the roof. Your manufacturer will have the proper roof buildup details with regards to steel, and shingles.

Shingles are of man made materials , and wood. Either of these would require on going maintainence to keep them in good order.

kadman

Ask the manufacturer for contact details of previous clients. Ring them and ask them how their cabins performed in the recent cold spell. If he,s a genuine supplier, he shouldn,t have a problem with this request. (kadman)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭scienceoverBS

kadman wrote: »
    Do you intend to use a source of heat within your log cabin.

Steel is definitely durable, and long lasting. But you would need to stick rigidly to your manufacturers specs in relation to fitting insulation in the roof build up, so as not to cause any problems with condensation , and moisture retention in the roof. Your manufacturer will have the proper roof buildup details with regards to steel, and shingles.

Shingles are of man made materials , and wood. Either of these would require on going maintainence to keep them in good order.

kadman

Ask the manufacturer for contact details of previous clients. Ring them and ask them how their cabins performed in the recent cold spell. If he,s a genuine supplier, he shouldn,t have a problem with this request. (kadman)

thanks for your reply, ill be using a 1.5 to maybe a 2 kw electric flame effect fire in it, also im getting loghouse to install it also. im doing the foundations myself as i have experience in this. the guy who called out said he can give me numbers of past customers without even asking, he seemed very professional i was originally looking at the double walled units with 2 58 mm walls with insulation between the walls but he was saying its an unnecessary expence in a 3x3 unit ,so i was impressed with that as a sign he wasn't just out for money,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

thanks for your reply, ill be using a 1.5 to maybe a 2 kw electric flame effect fire in it, also im getting loghouse to install it also. im doing the foundations myself as i have experience in this. the guy who called out said he can give me numbers of past customers without even asking, he seemed very professional i was originally looking at the double walled units with 2 58 mm walls with insulation between the walls but he was saying its an unnecessary expence in a 3x3 unit ,so i was impressed with that as a sign he wasn't just out for money,

Looks like you are covering all your bases, well done. Definitely talking to past customers is an absolute guarantee that you will get a feeling of what the build is likely to turn out like. And the recent cold spell will test them to the limit.

If you need to check in depth about the u values of the material , and the ability of your chosen heat source to heat it suitably, then you could get the necessary u values and check for your self. You could find the specs online, or in a current copy of the bulding regulations. Alternatively you could post a thread on the Construction and Planning forum, as there are some knowledgeable folk there in relation to the heating issue, unfortunately I cant post there for you, as I was banned from it many moons ago:D:D and its still in force.

Good luck with your build.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭scienceoverBS

kadman wrote: »
    Looks like you are covering all your bases, well done. Definitely talking to past customers is an absolute guarantee that you will get a feeling of what the build is likely to turn out like. And the recent cold spell will test them to the limit.

If you need to check in depth about the u values of the material , and the ability of your chosen heat source to heat it suitably, then you could get the necessary u values and check for your self. You could find the specs online, or in a current copy of the bulding regulations. Alternatively you could post a thread on the Construction and Planning forum, as there are some knowledgeable folk there in relation to the heating issue, unfortunately I cant post there for you, as I was banned from it many moons ago:D:D and its still in force.

Good luck with your build.

kadman
    thanks again kadman will do. an hey even mods get banned wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Hi

Do you have reasons for using a "flat" roof ??

Foundation and floor joist ? insulated floor?

• Advertisement
Advertisement