Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Activity - possibly paranormal?

Options
  • 17-02-2010 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Im new to this, so apologies if this is a little long winded, but i was wondering had anyone any similar experiences to my own, or any possible explanation.

I've had two experiences with my parents house (in Cork city) where there has been strange occuranced with the electricity.

Im not talking about surges or flashes in power or anything. That can all be explained by grid activity, but this is particularly a case of Lights being on, fully, and then shortly being off, without anyone being in the house. I have reason to particularly notice these occurance. These are all a few years ago when i lived at home. Basically:

1) I was returning home one evening from a night out (was in training, so not drinking), and I noticed a light on in my parents bedroom. While coming down the driveway i paid particulat attention to it, as the outside light was broken and i needed that light, to guide me through the uneven garden. I thought it strange that they were up so late. I was certain the light was on. When i got in and went up to the bathroom i noticed the light was off. Naturally i assumed my dad's Obsessive behaviour was getting the better of him and he had stayed up to see what time i got home (circa 2am). thought nothing of it and went downstairs. About an hour later my parents walked through the front door, having been out at a family function all night, meaning there was noone in the house to turn the light off.

2) Another evening my dad and I were returning from a meeting in town at about half 9 or 10, We hadnt eaten, so i stopped off for a bag of chips. My dad said that he'd have some, but we laughed that if my mother was still awake he wouldn't be allowed (health and cholesterol etc...). When we got to the house we saw the living room light on and specifically talked about the fact that he couldnt have chips. Only when we got in the living room light was off and upon checking my mother had been in bed for an hour and had turned everything off.

On both occasions I had specific reason to nocite this, but im sure its probably gone unnotice at other times.

Has anyone any experience of this kind of thing? Or possible explanations?

Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Susipoo

I'm delighted to hear that it's happening to someone else! It happens so often in my house I thought someone was sneaking in. Would also love to hear if anyone else has any theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

how old is the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Hard to tell how old it is. Certainly pre-63, because there's no plans for it.

stylistically I'd say probably 1940's. No Idea what was there before though. Its in Cork City, so its possible there could have been something there, or in the area, before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If it's that old it might be worth getting the wiring checked, just in case this is being caused by a dodgy connection somewhere. I know that if my lights were turning themselves on and off I'd be on to an electrician sharpish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Seems likely to me that the lights weren't actually on in either situation, but that there's some other external light that is illuminating the window and giving the impression that the light is on.

Any street lamps outside?

Did you happen to notice was there a particularly bright/big moon on the nights in question?

Just suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Funnilly enough the wiring was done shortly after we have bought to house, circa 1999 or 2000. Full refit, as well as the plumbing and whole host of other problems.

In terms of street lighting, funny you should mention that as the area is notorious for having poor street lighting and that particular corner where the house is has no lamp posts.

As far as other light sources, thedownstairs lights acting strangely i can understand as it could be something shining through from the back of the house, although the connecting door that would allow light through is rarely left open. The upstairs room has no alternative light source apart form the front window though.

As far as the moon goes, I have no idea. Based on averages though, it was more than likely overcast. Cork is always overcast.

I've always been very skeptical, although that house always freaked me. When we first moved in, i was sent to the attic to put boxes up there and it was full of religious statues, some of which had the heads cut off and placed in a box in the corner. Very strange feeling from that attic.

Advertisement