Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bureau de change v ATM

Options
  • 17-02-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi, did a search and didnt get any results...

Im going on holidays in the next couple of weeks and Im wondering which is cheaper, travellers cheques or ATM.

Changing €1k into $Australian

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

With Atm's you generaly get screwed on charges.

Id change it at the Bureau de change or go with travelers checks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My friend once went to America and instead of withdrawing cash at an ATM, he loaded up his Credit Card with money before he went. I'm not sure if that's relevant or helpful to your situation, but it might reduce the charges a bit (although probably not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Change it into cash and what happens if it's stolen? You lose the money.

Travelers cheques might be a good idea, but you still need to turn them into money at the other end, so there's a bit of hassle there.

Pre-loading your credit card with cash means you don't pay any fees for withdrawing it, however you're also not covered if your card is stolen. You would lose the money if the card is used. Also, any purchase you make with the card will come from the cash first, and not the card's credit. That will eat up your cash when you might not want it to.

What I normally do is bring some cash (200-400 worth) make purchases on my credit card (using credit) and then withdraw any extra cash I might need using my bank card. There will be a charge (it's not that big), but it is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

or use online banking to load up credit card occasionally to keep it positive...

Thats what I do when I'm away for more than one week, therefore if it is stolen there is not alot of cash on the card to be used up.

Depends if you will be near internet that you trust (not some shady internet cafe!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

If your using a credit card to withdraw the money from the atm you may be charged twice. Once for a cash withdrawl and for forgien exchange charge. Some banks still charge if your credit card is positive. You would have to check the terms and conditions.

Also if you buy travellers cheques you might be charged three times. Once to change it from euro to dollars. Then for the insurance for the travellers cheques. Then when you get over there to cash them in.

I would probably get some in cash 2-300euro's worth and keep the rest on a debit card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement