Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raleigh record ace c/w 531 handbuilt frame

• 17-02-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

for sale. Original except for replacement derailleur n racing cog. Needs work/ never restored. I bought it new in 1982. Offers?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Pics and size would help. Interested at the right price.....

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

OK. Just bear with me a day or so. Not very technophilic.
    Bike is original and looks in need of some tlc. I would like to sell it to someone who will find use for it.

Forgot to say, frame is for 5'8 (170cm) or better. It looks like today's designs favour a smaller frame for someone my height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

i'll offer 30 for it

1.30 is an insult, so no thank you.
    2. Photos as promised.
    3. got some kudos with this back in the heyday of Roche /Kelly

• Advertisement

Apologies but i was taking a lead from this

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-250569.html

Considering how much it would take to get this back to it's former glory i dont think it's an insult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

A classic machine. Looks like it has been pulled out of a canal however.. I think 30 is as good an offer as you will get sadly. Still great to see one of these again.

If anyone here ever spots the late 80's Raleigh Record Sprint (Black with Gold decals) in a small size let me know. I always regretted selling my one all those years ago. A nostalgia project perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    A classic machine. Looks like it has been pulled out of a canal however.. I think 30 is as good an offer as you will get sadly. Still great to see one of these again.

If anyone here ever spots the late 80's Raleigh Record Sprint (Black with Gold decals) in a small size let me know. I always regretted selling my one all those years ago. A nostalgia project perhaps.

OP - you could try here - http://www.raleighbikes.com/index.php - to get a valuation on your bike.

Quigs - I got my "nostalgia project" (a Scorpio) through this site, maybe worth keeping an eye on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭it's mick

i'd bite someones hand off for an offer of 30 on that... it's in bits.
    headset is rusted and needs replacing
    brake hoods are split and disintegrating
    handlebar tape looks a bit shoddy
    surface rust all over the frame
    spokes rusty on the front wheel
    possible dent on the front wheel at about 4 o'clock in the picture
    chain is at right angles in points
    saddle looks fairly wrecked
    toe clips are rusty too
    and that's just what i can see in the photo

there's a lot of work involved in sorting that out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

How much would you consider fair and where are you based.
    Frame looks solid (but needs a repray) as does the chain set and brakes. Front and rear mechs look a bit iffy and the hoods/chain/headset/prob BB and cables/tape will all need replaces .

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    OP - you could try here - http://www.raleighbikes.com/index.php - to get a valuation on your bike.

Quigs - I got my "nostalgia project" (a Scorpio) through this site, maybe worth keeping an eye on it.

Off Topic but my first 4 bikes were Raleigh. A winner, Road Ace, Deluxe 531c and the then this DynaTech 700 like the one I found on your link :)
    pic.php?mode=small&pic_id=294

pic.php?mode=small&pic_id=293

pic.php?mode=small&pic_id=292

pic.php?mode=small&pic_id=291

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Quigs Snr wrote: »

Some of you may have noticed during that 100k hammerfest in Dundalk last year, a guy was riding a Raleigh Record Sprint that looked as if it had just rolled off the Raleigh production line that morning. Brought back some memories.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

yubabill wrote: »
    1.30 is an insult, so no thank you.
    2. Photos as promised.
    3. got some kudos with this back in the heyday of Roche /Kelly

If I were you, I'd strip everything off that frame and junk all the parts, wheels, the works.
    Then I would paint strip the frame, rust kill it, zinc prime, paint, decals, lacquer and sell it as a frame only. You'd make much more than the generous €30 offer from abcdggs.

gman2k wrote: »
    If I were you, I'd strip everything off that frame and junk all the parts, wheels, the works.
    Then I would paint strip the frame, rust kill it, zinc prime, paint, decals, lacquer and sell it as a frame only. You'd make much more than the generous €30 offer from abcdggs.

But I doubt you would reclaim your costs on it even if you did the work yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

But think of the fun you would have!

Well there is that. I would probably pay more for a good record sprint than it cost originally. I remember mine costing £320 back in 1990 brand new.

Good luck to the OP selling his. I think though if he is looking to turn a quick buck he will struggle, for a machine like that you either need a collector in or someone doing a fixie conversion who doesn't mind a lot of work. Either way, its not going to fetch a lot of money even if it was mint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

how much do you (op) think it will fetch

Really nice to see somebody get nostalgic for the bike/frame.

Guys, I won't sell this for 30.00. Have had it from new and think it's an early 531. Once had cert from guy who built it, but long gone. BTW, think it's a 24" (60cm) frame.

There is some of the original campagnolo gear (could not get replacement in eire when original came a cropper in mid-80's) and the handlebars are engraved "Road Champion" "Sakae Custom" whatever that means, on alternate sides.

I will admit it looks as you describe, but a new front wheel, some tyres and a derailleur would get it going again, which is what I may do (someday).

Thanks for the interest.

What is a fair price in your opinion??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well 531 tubing has been around since the 30's so it wont be that early :) At least it is a full 531 tube set on those,including forks, unlike some of Raleighs offerings at the time that were 531 in main tubes only(though your decal looks like the main tubes and fork only one?). IIRC it would have had campag gran sport drivetrain. The front mech is still there and gran sport anyway.

If you're gonna keep it yourself and restore it properly for sentimental reasons(best kind), you could get a rear mech handy enough on ebay and for feck all money. Gran sport stuff isnt so sought after. It was the entry level(above 980 series). They came with weinmann brakes IIRC and they're still there. You can likely get replacement brake hoods a la ebay too. The crank is an SR crankset as are the handlebars SR = Sakae Ringyo. A japanese maker common enough back then. Lower price shimano kinda thing. Typical of the days when you could mix and match more easily. I'd replace the handlebars with new in box old stock though.

Condition is where you're kinda boned collector wise. It would need a lot of work. Even mint maybe 300 quid? The italian stuff of the time is what gets the money(except for a Raleigh team frame in 753 or a mint "aero" road ace with ex groupset). Even so a colnago or rossin in the same condition would be lucky to see 100.

I reckon if you want to get more do as gman2k suggest. You can get repro Reynolds 531 decals and if you did the work yourself would not cost too much. They are a very nice frame under there and would make a very nice hybrid or fixed wheel. If its still solid and not too rusted. Polish up the front mech, sell it separate on ebay. The crank if ok after a buff may make a couple of quid too, for people wanting to restore a bike of that vintage as they were fitted to many makes and models.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I was thinking along those lines myself, came across this
    ral84_12.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I think you'll find the aero groups,Dura ace and 600 were ax and not ex.:P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oops :o yep you're dead right. AX was the aero stuff. The road ace had the cheaper 600 groupset not the dura ace. Thats what I was trying to say....

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thanks for all that info, guys. You have made me want to do something with my bike. It's not pretty, but structurally very sound.
    Don't know if I could push a racing cog again, though. Might change that. BTW, never raced it per se, but did a lot of touring.
    Had a nice episode falling off a fixed wheel many years ago and haven't really cycled since, but could do with the exercise as feel very much the bike is a reflection of myself, weathering-wise. Also, think the spec sheet posted above is a later one; don't recognise accompanying model names as part of the selection previously available, some details very slightly different to what I remember, but may stand corrected.

I know some of you guys are kind of interested, but realistically I wouldn't take less than 100 for it for sentimental reasons and that looks over optimistic by what you guys have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

100 is way way too much for that and I understand your sentimental bonding with it, but the condition of the bike doesn't help. I am offering 50 if it's 60cm.

If you do decide to keep it, i hope you fix it up well. I would be very interested to see it restored to former glory, pictures would be great.

thanks

Appreciate the offers, guys, but will be keeping bike.
    Unfortunately, unlikely I will respray as don't feel competent, but have ridden it before with a few scratches, so don't think it a problem.
    From the sounds of it, might be a little more involved a project than I first thought, but no big deal, either. Used to love working on the bikes as a lad....if only i had kept that chopper ....

robfowl,
    got your pm, cannot send same yet.
    OK, deal.
    Contact me re meet. live in Athy.

Advertisement