Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting LaTeX to Word

• 17-02-2010 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I need to convert a paper from LaTeX to Word format.
    I think the references may create problems. They are in bibtex format.
    I have endnote.
    Has anybody used conversion software or other methods for doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Not really being helpful here, but why on earth do you need convert to word? Latex is vastly superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I'm also interested to know why you'd need a Word Doc. If it's for submission somewhere, would they accept a PDF?

Anyway the easiest way is probably just to copy and paste the contents of PDF to Word. Alternatively there are websites that will convert PDFs to Word for you, I'm just not sure how good they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Why I need to convert:
    It's for a conference submission, yes. I did submit a pdf, but had it returned. They need it in Word so that all the documents can be collated into the proceedings.

I was provided with the result of a commercial conversion program (I think pdf->Word). It's not great - quite a bit of manual work required on it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The easy way to do it is to use htlatex to dump your document into HTML. Then open this in Word and save as DOCX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Converting Latex to Word makes baby Jesus cry.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

pwd wrote: »
    They need it in Word so that all the documents can be collated into the proceedings.
    Translation: they're too stupid to convert the Word documents they've received to PDF and collate them that way.

The world is steadily dumbing down into a morass of Microsoft-fed sludge... :(

Red Alert wrote: »
    The easy way to do it is to use htlatex to dump your document into HTML. Then open this in Word and save as DOCX.
    It's never going to be as good as the PDF though, is it? Especially if the document is in any way complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

djpbarry wrote: »
    It's never going to be as good as the PDF though, is it? Especially if the document is in any way complex.
    Yeah, I've always found htlatex and the alternatives (latex2html, TTH) to be a bit buggy.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Translation: they're too stupid to convert the Word documents they've received to PDF and collate them that way.

The world is steadily dumbing down into a morass of Microsoft-fed sludge... :(
    I recently heard of a student who had to scrap his neatly-TeX'd document and do all the formulae out again in Word because the submission software would only accept .doc files. Moreover, the submission software only worked on IE :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I have been applying for jobs lately that only accept applications in .doc. My beautiful LaTeX CV is going to waste... when will people learn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

I'd rather not go anywhere near MS Word, but this blog seems to suggest some TeX capability in the Equation Editor of Word 2007. Of course this only "helps" with the mathematical part, but it's something. I must explore further: as I often have to collaborate with colleagues who use MS Word, this might actually be quite useful to me!

• Advertisement

The other option would be to convert the PDF file into Word format. Nitro have a pretty decent piece of PDF editing software that includes an option to export to Word:

http://www.nitropdf.com/promotions/pdftoword_landing.htm?utm_source=pdftowordcom&utm_medium=ad&utm_content=resp&utm_campaign=pdftowordcom

I've used it a couple of times - does a decent job. You'll probably have to do a bit of work on equations after the conversion, but aside from that, the layout is preserved pretty well. It's $99 to buy, but the Word export option is available in the demo version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Can you not just use the snapshot tool?

Advertisement