Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1.5mm Single Core Wiring

Options
  • 17-02-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm moving a light in my ensuite and noticed that most places seems to only sell single core with single insulation, Im used to double insulated (so blue/brown and then an outer grey sheath) is this the norm now?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In a domestic installation when singles are used they are normally PVC/PVC. The outer grey insulation provides a small degree of mechanical protection. Single core mains voltage PVC cables are not permitted unless they have some form of mechanical protection such as conduit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah thats what I thought, I'd prefer the extra insulation when Im fishing wires through walls etc!

But I'm having problems sourcing it, just doing a quick Google and at least all the UK sites are single PVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

there may be an electrical wholesaler nearby.other than that try atlantic/b+q but they are really dear there.1.5 twin and earth lights and 2.5 twin and earth sockets

B&Q only do T&E from what I have seen, and its expensive
    Woodies sell single core by the M but again, expensive.

Will pop down to Emerald in Walkinstown and see what they have got.

cheers

FYI
    Emerald Electrical 100m 1.5mm2 double insulated single core for €22 inc VAT.

They wont cut the single core but will cut T&E for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

if you need a little single PVC PVC give me a shout Greebo, i usually have some lying around

Advertisement