Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small garden, tree/plant suggestions for providing privacy from neighbours

Options
  • 17-02-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

We have a small backgarden and is overlooked from the houses behind. I was hoping to put in something to give a little height and privacy while at the same time not creating too much shadow (the garden is north facing) or overhanging into our garden or the neighbours as the tree/plant will be put in near the fence.

The tree/plant will be planted around 10-15 feet from the back door and ideally would like to to reach a height of say 10feet and not too big a spread. This is where I guess it gets hard as would like something to provide the height and cover sooner rather than later but most fast growing things would get to high I would guess.

So does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can plant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Webbs wrote: »
    We have a small backgarden and is overlooked from the houses behind. I was hoping to put in something to give a little height and privacy while at the same time not creating too much shadow (the garden is north facing) or overhanging into our garden or the neighbours as the tree/plant will be put in near the fence.

The tree/plant will be planted around 10-15 feet from the back door and ideally would like to to reach a height of say 10feet and not too big a spread. This is where I guess it gets hard as would like something to provide the height and cover sooner rather than later but most fast growing things would get to high I would guess.

So does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can plant?

I would go for Bamboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Anything 10ft high planted 10 to 15 ft from the back door is going to be a bit oppressive. Thats only the width of a small room, have you measured it? If it is that distance I would be more inclined to put up something like trellis at the top of the fence, and possibly grow a climber up it.
    For trees possibilities would be himalayan birch which is vigorous but the leaves and branches are open and airy, and do not spread too much. Another possibility is a prunus amanagowa, a cherry with an upright growth and attractive flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

i agree with Looksee. There are some lovely evergreen climbers like Clematis which would give you privacy without the bulk of a tree, and lovely flowers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Thanks for your suggestions will look into them. I didnt make it totally clear as the fence runs along the side of the house and the tree/plant will be about half way up the garden (which is about 30 feet in length) so a trellis wouldnt be a runner,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You could consider using a developed climber/shrub trained on an espalier frame These type of Espalier solutions are typically 3-4 m in height with an rectangular frame usually 1mx1m or larger and 1800mm above ground. This creates an effective large planting screen (bit like a placard), with height above ground but small footprint. Popular espaliers include Photinia, Beech, Wisteria, Viburnum etc. In order to retain shape etc, they will require regular pruning/clipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

You could consider using a developed climber/shrub trained on an espalier frame These type of Espalier solutions are typically 3-4 m in height with an rectangular frame usually 1mx1m or larger and 1800mm above ground. This creates an effective large planting screen (bit like a placard), with height above ground but small footprint. Popular espaliers include Photinia, Beech, Wisteria, Viburnum etc. In order to retain shape etc, they will require regular pruning/clipping.

This is a great idea and would look really nice.
    If it were me I would go with Sonnenblumens idea but it depends on if you have the time or the interest in the maintenance.
    When I am looking for ideas I look at other houses that have what I am picturing for myself and either ask the owner or describe it to the local garden center.
    Hope it turns out nice for you.

Advertisement