Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist charging €145 for a clean

Options
  • 17-02-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Really making up for lost time!!
    I cannot understand how such a high price can be justified.
    I hear a good price is about €50. Is this not still a bit high? I'd have thought it would be a nominal enough amount such as maybe €20, tagged onto the fee for the visit/other work.
    Or is there something I don't know about that causes the price for a clean to be so high?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

z_topaz wrote: »
    Really making up for lost time!!
    I cannot understand how such a high price can be justified.
    I hear a good price is about €50. Is this not still a bit high? I'd have thought it would be a nominal enough amount such as maybe €20, tagged onto the fee for the visit/other work.
    Or is there something I don't know about that causes the price for a clean to be so high?

Those Dental Dysons obviously don't come cheap.:eek:

I'd say that even €50's pushing it to the extreme. No doubt someone will enlighten us regarding the expensive materials and the 5 hours it takes to do a proper job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

It takes about 3 minutes maximum to clean my teeth and its combined with a checkup. Haven't had one since the gov moved the goal posts but I can't see it being that expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

€145, how many teeth have you got? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Hagar wrote: »
    €145, how many teeth have you got? :eek:

Loads - have many extra wisdom teeth due to all my copious wisdom.
    Nah - the dentist hasn't seen my teeth yet (and never will at that price). Was just ringing for a quote.
    Seriously though, the last clean I got took about five minutes, and I never hear of anybody just going in for a clean, so any administrative work, general chit chat, check up stuff will be priced for independently. So we are talking about €50 - €145 for five minutes. At the upper end of the scale, that's €2,900 for an hour's work of cleaning.
    I can't imagine that overheads are high for that kind of work.
    I'm in the wrong job outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

With the PRSI Contributions to the price of Dental Care now having being removed , I expect there to be a huge increase in "shocking" Dentist quotes ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

That's mental. My dentist will clean off any coffee stains etc and polish them up along the visible ones when i come in for a normal check-up, no extra cost. Twice a year I go to a dental hygenist who cleans them all properly, its about €60. Pricey but worth it. I'm getting my dog't teeth cleaned on Friday - the vet will have to put her out and that will still only cost €8o if its a normal clean, no extactions etc. Name and shame the dentist I say, that's crazy money!:eek: You'd get a day up in the North (on those cheap rail promotional rates from irish rail) and your teeth cleaned and money to spare for the same price! I'm waiting for some looper to wade in talking about 'overheads' etc.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Wow, I'm a DIY man myself, save myself €290 per day as I clean twice, €105,850 per year.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My dentist charged me €80 for a large filling and didnt charge at all for the previous visit where he put in two temporary ones. I thought that was ok... must ask what they charge to clean.

Im usually a looper who comes on talking about overheads... but in this case €145 is someone completely chancing their arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

tommy21 wrote: »
    That's mental. My dentist will clean off any coffee stains etc and polish them up along the visible ones when i come in for a normal check-up, no extra cost.

Not any more, I'm assuming that was done as part of your PRSI, practically everyone who went to the dentist got the same, the state paid for it. Now, as has been said, that benefit is gone and you will start to be charged for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Try getting "deep cleaning" Ultrasonic paridontal treatment, that will really put a hole in your pocket. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Try getting "deep cleaning" Ultrasonic paridontal treatment, that will really put a hole in your pocket. :eek:

thats what I get once a year when Im back in my home country.
    It takes about an hour time and its about 150euro (and I m very happy with it)
    a cleaning that takes 5 minutes is nothing better than what you can do at home with your own toothbrush.

nmesisca wrote: »
    a cleaning that takes 5 minutes is nothing better than what you can do at home with your own toothbrush.

Where is your home country?

Must go there for dental :D

I was charged several hundred for this job in Budapest last year, I couldn't complain because I signed the form authorizing the price for the job before it was carried out. It was priced at e200 per "quadrant" or quarter of the mouth.

I was expecting an "operation" that would last hours, it took an hour. God knows what they charge for this in Ireland. :eek:

The only thing positive is that it cured my gum bleeding problems completely and could procede with other dental work.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Where is your home country?

Must go there for dental :D

I was charged several hundred for this job in Budapest last year, I couldn't complain because I signed the form authorizing the price for the job before it was carried out. It was priced at e200 per "quadrant" or quarter of the mouth.

I was expecting an "operation" that would last hours, it took an hour. God knows what they charge for this in Ireland. :eek:

The only thing positive is that it cured my gum bleeding problems completely and could procede with other dental work.

italy
    to be fair I get some discount as the dentist is a friend of mine.still I wouldnt complain if i was charged the full price. its a hell of a job going tooth by tooth at least a couple times with different instruments.
    plus I get xrays as well.
    mmm... xrays :rolleyes:
    wish it was gamma rays :D

italy
    to be fair I get some discount as the dentist is a friend of mine.still I wouldn't complain if i was charged the full price. its a hell of a job going tooth by tooth at least a couple times with different instruments.
    plus I get xrays as well.
    mmm... xrays :rolleyes:
    wish it was gamma rays :D

That's the way it workes here, I get GP here for beer money, mate is a doc, however I pay whack for dental hence trips abroad. Cosmetic is still outrageous here despite the recent 30% cut in rates in some clinics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Just get "Eucryl Smokers Tooth Powder", works great.
    I don't smoke, but every now and again it's good to use.

Pick up a little container for €2, lasts ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 doyler13

I'm new onto Boards! Does anyone know of a good dentist in Gorey, Wexford? I'm quite nervous as I had a bad experience with a dentist before and I know I need quite a bit of work done...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

was told last month that charge in my dentists is now €80 for the cleaning that used to be free. €145 is a bit high.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why would you get periodontal cleaning if you don't suffer from gum disease? It's completely unnecessary if your teeth and gums are healthy, and might actually harm the health of your gums as it's quite an invasive treatment! :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Anon47

doyler13 wrote: »
    I'm new onto Boards! Does anyone know of a good dentist in Gorey, Wexford? I'm quite nervous as I had a bad experience with a dentist before and I know I need quite a bit of work done...

Just get on the N11/M50/M1 and go to any dentist in Newry or Gentle Dental in Warrenpoint, you will save an absolute fortune if you need a lot of work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am a diy person, since when did this nonsense of people going to dentist to clean your teeth, there is the toothbrush, toothpaste and floss, do me fine, i think it is all a rip off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

goat2 wrote: »
    since when did this nonsense of people going to dentist to clean your teeth
    More money than sense, I hope they only go for a dump once a day max, those proctologist's bills can be just as bad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

rubadub wrote: »
    More money than sense, I hope they only go for a dump once a day max, those proctologist's bills can be just as bad ;)
    shows the damage this roaring tiger has done, people too lazy to give a good clean to their own teeth,

Advertisement