Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors

Options
  • 17-02-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I was in the doctors last week and was put onto antibiotics. I had to go back yesterday for test results. I'm still not feeling well, but was told by the doctor that the infection was gone.

I'm 100% sure that it's NOT gone as I'm feeling worse today than I was yesterday. I need to go back to the doctor and get more medication and a check up as to why I still have it. Am I entitled to get this for free considering the fact she should have picked up on it yesterday especially since I told her a few times I don't think the antibiotics worked properly and I was still feeling sick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No. But many practices do give a considerably reduced rate for repeat visits for the same complaint. You need to tell them that though as the receptionist won't know why you are back with the Doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Doctors aren't perfect - they can't diagnose everything correctly all the time. But they do have a vast wealth of experience and training to draw on (more than the average layperson).

As a previous poster said, mention that you are a repeat visit following on from a recent visit. This might prompt a reduced rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

There was no diagnosis to be made. It's something I've been treated for before (where I was misdiagnosed and ended up off work for a month) and was just finished another course of treatment which I told her hadn't worked.

I do understand that they can't catch everything all the time but I think it's very unfair that I'd have to pay anything a day after she told me I wasn't sick, especially considering I told her that I was feeling no better.

Maybe it's just time for a new doctor. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninalucy1985

There was no diagnosis to be made. It's something I've been treated for before (where I was misdiagnosed and ended up off work for a month) and was just finished another course of treatment which I told her hadn't worked.

I do understand that they can't catch everything all the time but I think it's very unfair that I'd have to pay anything a day after she told me I wasn't sick, especially considering I told her that I was feeling no better.

Maybe it's just time for a new doctor. :(

Maybe that anti biotic didnt work for you,
    it can be scary tho when they dnt tell you whats wrong !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Maybe it is a virus or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Helena, same thing has happened me a few times. I have now learned to be blatantly cheeky (in a nice not too obvious way! lol). Now, if this happens, I ring the surgery, ask for the doc to call me back. Politely point out that I am no better, and TBH don't have the money for a repeat visit when I was only there 1/2 days previously. I tell them how i am over the phone and more or less ask for a prescription to be left. I don't outright say, I'm not paying to come again, so give me a script! :p But I do let it be known that I am not happy at having been to them so recently and being no better, and not prepared to fork out again!
    I have not had to do it very often recently TG, as things have calmed down for me, but in the past it was becoming regular, and to be honest I REALLY didn't have the money to be paying €35 for a repeat visit every few days when I could tell them the exact same thing over the phone. If it were something requiring I MUST attend, like they needed to do tests or whatever, fair enough, but just to give a new script to try something else??? nah.

Give it a go - give them a call, explain, be politely apologetic that you cannot come back, but yet firm, letting them know you expect a script to be left without charge.

I know docs cannot be expected to diagnose absolutely every time, and at times certain meds don't work and they have to try something else, but I think it unfair to pay €60 and then be expected to pay €35+ a few days later (not to mention having to return to the surgery when you are feeling unwell) when what they need to know can be obtained by a phone call - in those instances I think they should issue a new script (provided they have no concerns it could be more serious of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

As a patient you are entitled to a second opinion from another doctor if you're not happy with your diagnosis.

Also, if you've been treated for the same thing before then was it with the same practice? if it wasn't then does the practice you're going to at the moment have your medical history on record? You'll find that when you need to be treated for the same ailment again the GP will ask you for information on the type of antibiotics you received previously and prescribe you something different otherwise the same treatment may not be effective or else it wasn't effective the first time which may explain the recurrence.

Advertisement