Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strings, where to get them ?

• 17-02-2010 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi All,

I wanted to do a poll and see where people get their strings from ?

As far as I know most shops have taken down the price of strings in general which is close to the internet (within a euro or so on most brands). I know that the more expensive strings are sometimes a little bit more in the shop than online.

Do people like buying in Bulk ? Is it a one packet at a time deal ?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys,

Regards,
    John

Where do you get your strings ? 52 votes

0% 0 votes
    In a music shop
    34% 18 votes
    One Packet at a time
    40% 21 votes
    Bulk order
    25% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I buy them one pack at a time from a shop, though lately I've been getting three at a time since I've started using all my guitars more regularly. One of my three main guitars uses 12s, while the other uses 11s, so if I was going to buy bulk, I'd have to buy two boxes at a time. It'd make sense to buy in bulk, I guess, I've got no reason not to... Just lazy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I buy them one pack at a time from a shop, though lately I've been getting three at a time since I've started using all my guitars more regularly. One of my three main guitars uses 12s, while the other uses 11s, so if I was going to buy bulk, I'd have to buy two boxes at a time. It'd make sense to buy in bulk, I guess, I've got no reason not to... Just lazy :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback my good man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd usually buy them on demand, so one at a time, but as El Pr0n, i've started buying maybe two sets at one go, as i've been using all of my guitar recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

I use Elixirs which tend to last for a decent while so I usually buy some every 2-3 months in the shop, I'm usually in every couple weeks anyway so it's no hassle. I was considering ordering them online but if I do ever decide to change to a different brand, I don't fancy having a stockpile :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

I have a few guitars. mandolin. Looking for banjo, mandola, + other stringed inst.

elixirs for the acoustics, 12-50, been changing every 2 weeks.

i have steinberger electric, use 8's on that.
    have an sg with 7's.

1 classical, hate changing nylons.

hate changing strings actually.

i just bought 3 sets elixir from tullamore sound centre, i was about to buy off matchetts in belfast, but tullamore sc were doing the 3 for 2 packs, for same price as north. i also bought a new hard case, the lovely bubbly ones, 40 plecs, 2 plec holders (holds 8 or 9 plecs each, (hav 2 on each guitar now).

110 euro for the lot, and business is kept in ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

i have yet to meet a bass player (non pro at least) that buys bass strings in bulk. i actually know a lad that takes off his flatwounds every once in a while and boils them, not sure how long they last after that though....

slightly off topic, has anybody used these strings:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_valuestrings_010.htm

98c a set, i had to read this twice!! i'd imagine they dont feel/sound the best. lately i've taken to doing acoustic gigs with a line6 variax so i dont think the sound thing matters....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm another person that hates changing strings. I tend to put it off for as long as possible. When I do buy strings I tend to just pop into a music shop and order a couple of sets. One set to put on straight away and one to keep as a spare in case a string breaks during a jam or worse a gig or recording session.

I don't love changing strings, but it's only about five minutes of my time, and nothing's worse than the feel of a dirty string :(

I don't get the whole Elixir thing - are they worth the extra cost?

I don't love changing strings, but it's only about five minutes of my time, and nothing's worse than the feel of a dirty string :(

Personally I like them a lot, a very smooth feel to them. Once I broke a string and replaced it with a D'Addario and it felt awful. I suppose that's because I never used anything but Elixirs from the start so my fingers are totally uncalloused. I've heard good things about Rotosounds and there's one other brand, Dean Markleys or something? I remember someone saying they were better than Elixirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I always buy on line. I have flats on one of my basses, that only have to be changed every few years. Roundwounds for the others are bought on line. It does not bother me to change them.

• Advertisement

yevveh wrote: »
    Personally I like them a lot, a very smooth feel to them. Once I broke a string and replaced it with a D'Addario and it felt awful. I suppose that's because I never used anything but Elixirs from the start so my fingers are totally uncalloused. I've heard good things about Rotosounds and there's one other brand, Dean Markleys or something? I remember someone saying they were better than Elixirs.

The idea of the plastic coating seems kinda gimmicky to me, and on closer examination of my friend's guitar, the plastic was starting to tear and fall off around the parts of the strings where he picks - so different sections of the strings would have a different unit mass. :confused:

It depends on your measure of 'better-ness', I suppose. Surely the guage (and consistency of unit mass) would have a MUCH bigger effect on sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭padraig_f

buy online, the main reason is I haven't found any shop in Dublin that stocks the strings I like (Gibson Vintage Reissue).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Stringsandbeyond.com are good to deal with. There are also some serious savings to be made with their prices and incentives/deals they have happening occasionally. I bought 12 packs of D'addarios for about €40 including postage before Christmas.

Also, depending on what you're string of choice is, the Internet is the only place you can find a lot of brands/types. Try looking for flatwounds in any shop in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

Generally buy all strings on-line, mostly for convenience and mostly from strings.ie, with the exception of bass Elixirs, which I buy from the US at half the price I can get them in Ireland, even allowing for the extra shipping.

Also, depending on what you're string of choice is, the Internet is the only place you can find a lot of brands/types. Try looking for flatwounds in any shop in town.

+ 100 !

From the point of view of bass strings, I'm always surprised at the lack of brands stocked. Even a large store like "X Music" only had a very small selection the last time I visited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I use Elixir, in the past i have used Daddario and Ernie Ball. I find after two gigs (2 hours each) and a band practice (3-4 hours), Daddario and Ernie Ball strings need to be replaced. I have very corrosive sweat, which is annoying, as it also caused pickup screws on my LP to rust, and my strat is heading that way too:o. I dont have this problem with the Elixir strings at all, I only change them when the strings are worn from the frets. Regarding the coating coming off the strings, that has only ever happened to me once, and the strings were pretty battered at the time

Yes.

You can get 3 packs for €40

I love playing octaves everywhere, elixirs are effortless for sliding all over the place. I get 2 weeks out of a set, thats playing 4 hours a day every day on acoustic, with 2 gigs in there too.

I tend to leave strings on both electrics about 3 weeks, (steinb about 2 months, major hassle changing strings on it)

but then I only play them maybe 1 hour a week. But now I can play every song and solo on acoustic, clean, no effects, but bending more than 2 notes is tough.

Elixirs are a great string but not for everyone, one thing that I have heard back is that doing pitched harmonic squeels (Zack style) isnt an option with the coated strings.

Great stuff on the feedback all, great to hear from the players at what they want. So far ive come across a greater range of Flatwounds and a wider variety of bass string.

Hope we can get more feedback, im going to try and colate it all and then research into the types people are looking for and hopefully stock them or at least find out who is stocking them so you can be directed to where to get them :)

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

BSOM wrote: »
    Elixirs are a great string but not for everyone, one thing that I have heard back is that doing pitched harmonic squeels (Zack style) isnt an option with the coated strings.

I have no problem doing them with Elixirs! (but im no where near as good as zack:o) I dont do mad squeels, just the odd one thrown in her and there for the laugh, but they sound the same if i have elixir, ernie ball or Daddario. well no major difference anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

http://www.webstrings.com/

Cheap and hardly nasty at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

the plastic was starting to tear and fall off around the parts of the strings where he picks -

I switched to Elixirs on my Ibanez and the same thing happened, Also they are so smooth that if you use 9 gauge and bend high (I play wyngwie malmstein stuff so lots of this) my figures slip either off the string, or under the other strings which is a disaster.

Yes they last long, but I'd prefer change every week then play on soap.

But also I hate changing strings, 2 Floyd rose floating trems with locking nuts are a bitch, especially when im snapping 4-10 strings a week across 4 guitars :(

Back on topic doh, I used to buy in store but i chanced strings.ie when i knew i couldn't make it to town with work for a week and desperately needed strings. Their service was great, out in about 2-3 days before Christmas, and even included about 5 advertised plecs, some wipes, business cards and a christmas card which i thought was an excellent touch :)

Awesome service

The idea of the plastic coating seems kinda gimmicky to me, and on closer examination of my friend's guitar, the plastic was starting to tear and fall off around the parts of the strings where he picks - so different sections of the strings would have a different unit mass. :confused:

It depends on your measure of 'better-ness', I suppose. Surely the guage (and consistency of unit mass) would have a MUCH bigger effect on sound.

That's a fair point, it does tend to happen. But they do last a fair bit longer and considering bass strings are quite expensive anyway I don't mind paying a little extra that and for the smoothness of them. I never thought about unit mass actually :confused: I've never compared the actual sound from them to other strings, I don't know if there's much of a difference - the preference for me is in the feel.
    J

Not true, our guitarist uses Elixirs and has no problem doing pinch harmonics.

yevveh wrote: »
    I never thought about unit mass actually :confused:

The unit mass of the string wouldn't matter if it's uniform across the string, but if the plastic is peeling off some sections of the string, then it won't vibrate like a normal string.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I sometimes get them from a shop in town but if I'm doing a thomann order I'll usually stick a few sets of strings on that because they are a bit cheaper and I know I'll use them eventually. I actualy bought a few sets of the value strings because I have some guitars I don't use too regularly and I figured I'd give those a shot. They are handy spares to have in my gig bag too in case I need them.
    I'm going to be doing a string order on line soon and I think I might pick up some Elixirs, which I've never used before, and I need to get some extra heavy gauge strings for my 8 string and the place in town wants 7 quid for a single bass string!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

If the plastic is starting to tear and fall off it's time to change the strings. ;)

I use only Elixirs too. I like the smooth feel and the ease at which your fingers glide over the strings. I also like the fact that they do outlast other strings I have used.

Good to hear the Elixirs done impeed the auld squeels !

Great stuff guys, im going to take a look into some more brands now and see if there are quality strings for cheaper and what can be done on current lines.

Anyone have any experience with Cleartone strings ? I do some work with a guy who bought some last time he was in the states and seemed to like them, he would be an elixir fan to the last but he seemed impressed.

J

Great stuff guys, im going to take a look into some more brands now and see if there are quality strings for cheaper and what can be done on current lines.

Great ! From a bass point of view, perhaps you could check out DR's and Dunlop's. Not sure if anyone here has tried them. I like their rounds. Apart from their nice tone, they feel smooth to the touch for rounds.

If you play more retro pop/rock styles flatwounds are great, particularly Thomastik Infeld or Pyramid. Not so great for wide bends but extremely toneful and full sounding. They are expensive but record really well.

If you play more retro pop/rock styles flatwounds are great, particularly Thomastik Infeld or Pyramid. Not so great for wide bends but extremely toneful and full sounding. They are expensive but record really well.

+1 for the Thomastiks !! I have TI Jazz Flats on one of my basses, and to be honost, I seem to be drawn to that bass more than the others, because of the tone and the feel of the TI's. Yes, they are expensive to begin with, but when you consider that some people have them on for up to six years, well.. enough said. Perhaps it's because of their long life, that music shops here dont think it worth their while to stock them.

• Advertisement

Good point about TI's.

I wouldnt be too worried about them lasting too long, i had the same dicusion with one of the guys who works for Elixir in the US/UK. He was saying that when they came out first shops were worried about stocking them because the lasted too long but in the end shops came around because it ended up that when people bought them they would always come back after to get more.

The biggest issue, in my opinion is that people who havent tried them before so they are less likley to spend a big amount of money. Where as when you have a packet of D'Addarrio going for €20 euro they will be more likley to buy them.

Re: Flatwounds, what are people using besides TI's. Anyone using Rotosound ? D'Addario ? Ernie Ball? DR's? Elixir? Dean Markley ?

J

The biggest issue, in my opinion is that people who havent tried them before so they are less likley to spend a big amount of money. Where as when you have a packet of D'Addarrio going for €20 euro they will be more likley to buy them.

I agree with this. There are however lots of cheaper brands of flats on the market than TI's. For example these are cheaper than the Daddario's you mention. http://cgi.ebay.ie/Fender-9050-ML-Stainless-Flatwound-Bass-Guitar-Strings_W0QQitemZ130365153885QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item1e5a5e625d At these prices, if available, people might be inclined to experiment. Yet I have never come across (someone correct me if I'm wrong) any brand for sale in shops here. Perhaps the majority of people dont like them, and the minority have no choice but to buy online. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Murphyt

I use ernie ball 10's on my strat, I play alot of blues, funk, rock stuff. I have never had a problem with them. I find the tone is excellent from a new pack, of course this wears off but I always put new strings on for a gig, they respond really well to the changes in your playing, they have a nice warm sound but also give that lovely snappy SRV sound when needed. I play soft and hard and have never broken a string, but like I said I always put new ones on for a gig. Back on topic I generally buy them in X-Music they do a pack of 12 for 60 Euro I think or at least they have them from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

i love ernie ball slinkys. i always use 9's whether it's on my les paul or strat. big difference in tone compared to d'addarios (not a big fan)

I have found that for recording all strings have a limited life. A couple of hours is the most you can expect before things start to go downhill tonewise. The mids seem to harden up and the overtones get slightly brittle. That said, when playing at home/gigs this isn't really an issue.

Rigsby wrote: »
    I agree with this. There are however lots of cheaper brands of flats on the market than TI's. For example these are cheaper than the Daddario's you mention. http://cgi.ebay.ie/Fender-9050-ML-Stainless-Flatwound-Bass-Guitar-Strings_W0QQitemZ130365153885QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item1e5a5e625d At these prices, if available, people might be inclined to experiment. Yet I have never come across (someone correct me if I'm wrong) any brand for sale in shops here. Perhaps the majority of people dont like them, and the minority have no choice but to buy online. :confused:

Not all flats are created equal. I once did a A/B/C comparison in a studio situation between D'addario, TI and Pyramid. The latter two sounded significantly better than the first. You get what you pay for.

• Advertisement

Not all flats are created equal. I once did a A/B/C comparison in a studio situation between D'addario, TI and Pyramid. The latter two sounded significantly better than the first. You get what you pay for.

I agree 100%.

My point was that if shops here stocked a variety of flats at different prices, (I wont hold my breath :D ) people might experiment a little more than they do at present with strings (I can only speak for bass). The OP had said that a first time flats trier might be put off the TI's because of the price (cant fault this I suppose). This way, he could start with cheaper ones, keeping in mind what you said about getting what you paid for.

Rigsby wrote: »
    I agree 100%.

My point was that if shops here stocked a variety of flats at different prices, (I wont hold my breath :D ) people might experiment a little more than they do at present with strings (I can only speak for bass). The OP had said that a first time flats trier might be put off the TI's because of the price (cant fault this I suppose). This way, he could start with cheaper ones, keeping in mind what you said about getting what you paid for.

The main reason I buy strings online is the price difference. There is a difference between paying 3 something and 6 something for a set of strings. Considering the price of flatwounds online, this difference would probably be a tenner or more. Realistically, the local places can't compete. Otherwise, in terms of the more affordable flats, the D'addario Chromes can be found online for about the same as you would pay for the regular d'addarios in any of the local places.

elixirs are brill.

you can still get them for €40 for a pack of 3, or you can order online for £9stg a set.

i am doing a test at the moment.

an epiphone and garrison both set up with new elixirs 12-52 yesterday, and switching between the guitars to see which i prefer.

both actions are adjusted the same

so far cannot really feel any difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

I have bought 10 packs of D'Adarrio from USA on ebay. Probably will again.

Has anybody tried Snake Oil Strings?? http://www.zepman.net/id31.html

Has anybody tried Snake Oil Strings?? http://www.zepman.net/id31.html

I'm interested to try Snake Oil, I've heard they're savage, but I'd like the articles about them to be a bit more specific than "better tone" - how is it better??

• Advertisement

I'm interested to try Snake Oil, I've heard they're savage, but I'd like the articles about them to be a bit more specific than "better tone" - how is it better??

They were on used PRS i bought a couple of years ago. The lifespan was no longer than D'Adarrio that i always use. But the PRS would make elastic bands sound good.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I'm pretty sure they've gone bust.

I'm pretty sure they've gone bust.

Lol....the website is down. Probably couldn't afford to pay the bills. Hyped up to the gills, but probably a load of load....

elixirs are brill.

you can still get them for €40 for a pack of 3, or you can order online for £9stg a set.

Aye, you can get a triple pack for €36 and a free guitar stand. Great little promotion that has been going for the last couple of months. Have only 3 packs / stands left.

In terms of price difference between the net and shops. If people could get them in a shop for €1 more than the net would it make people go into the shops ?

In terms of price difference between the net and shops. If people could get them in a shop for €1 more than the net would it make people go into the shops ?

If I could get the bass strings I wanted in the shops for a euro dearer than the net, then yes, I'd definitely go to the shop. As I said earlier though, I'm not holding my breath. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Definitely :)

Aye, you can get a triple pack for €36 and a free guitar stand. Great little promotion that has been going for the last couple of months. Have only 3 packs / stands left.

Ah you are a shop.

Can I buy off you?

I will be in tomorrow afternoon. Whats the sizes on them elixirs. I need a load of .60mm plecs too

Ah you are a shop.

Can I buy off you?

I will be in tomorrow afternoon. Whats the sizes on them elixirs. I need a load of .60mm plecs too

Aye, have them in stock. Only .12's left tho. Loads of .60mm in Dunlop or Plantet Waves.

That's a no-brainer, unless you charge shipping :p

Please contact hello@boards.ie for advertising rates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement