Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail Fail

Options
  • 17-02-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Saw this in a game store on Liffey St yesterday:

photo0485.th.jpg

OK, so the part where 2 identical (apart from the cover) games are being sold next to each other with a €28 price difference is weird enough. But the game closed down a year ago!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabula_Rasa_(video_game)#Closing

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Stuff like that always reminds me of this pic:

blurb_freeshirt_20091019.jpg

Without free t-shirt: $29.99
    With free t-shirt: $39.99

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

HMV are the kings of random pricing, nearly half their games have 2 prices. I like to put them beside each other so people won't pay for the more expensive one.

Saint's Row 2 was €10.99 or 32.99 just before christmas. Fracture is either 5.99 or 17.99 at the moment.

Ridiculous.

Although the game being closed down is a bit worse alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Here's another one I took in HMV a while back:

photo0054j.th.jpg

I should have gone up to the counter and asked if it supported multiplayer.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

oceanclub wrote: »
    Here's another one I took in HMV a while back:

photo0054j.th.jpg

I should have gone up to the counter and asked if it supported multiplayer.

P.

The multiplay is wicked, and I've heard the twist at the end of the game is even better than KoToR and Bioshock
    Its worse than most free firewall utilities

As for Tabula Rasa, its a shame. I never played it (and now cant) but heard it was meant to be quite unique and original (for an MMO). Been tempted to go to Gamestop near me and show them the game saying "Why sell this, it cannot be played, selling it is like stealing money off people"......but then I remember its Gamestop and dont bother, they would hunt down more copies to sell full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I can't say enough bad things about Gamestop - almost everytime I've been there it's been a negative experience. They're not even really a game shop anymore, more a pawnshop. Half the shop is given over to crappy second-hand DVDs and now they're getting into CDs - http://www.gamestop.ie/music.asp . I'd say there's some seriously dodgy people coming in with boxes of DVDs and CDs.

• Advertisement

I can't say enough bad things about Gamestop - almost everytime I've been there it's been a negative experience. They're not even really a game shop anymore, more a pawnshop - http://www.gamestop.ie/music.asp .

At least Game stores are fairly well-lit, make some vague effort to sort the shelves and sometimes offer decent prices. Gamestop shops always have the faintly seedy air of a sex shop. HMV are in another league altogether - I reckon a chimp with a pricing gun is allowed out on the floor at night to randomly place and price games.

Shops claim retail games sales are dying - or at least PC sales - but then they're not even trying, so it's no wonder. I still buy books in shops because (a) bookshops are a pleasant place to browse and (b) still offer good deals.

P.

At least Game stores are fairly well-lit, make some vague effort to sort the shelves and sometimes offer decent prices. Gamestop shops always have the faintly seedy air of a sex shop. HMV are in another league altogether - I reckon a chimp with a pricing gun is allowed out on the floor at night to randomly place and price games.

It can work in your benefit though. I somehow got a new black Wii with Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, New Super Mario Brothers and Super Smash Brothers for €200 on Thursday when the whole package was priced at €255. As far as I can tell the HMV standalone Wii price had dropped in price by €30 but I'm still not sure how he ended up charging €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

get a life, stop going into shops and taking photos.

They're called "camera phones", Einstein.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

ive actually brought tabula rasa to the attention of the manager in more than one shop, also asherons call 2 i think was still on sale in stephens green last time i checked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If you can't contribute on topic then don't post at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Saw this in a game store on Liffey St yesterday:

photo0485.th.jpg

OK, so the part where 2 identical (apart from the cover) games are being sold next to each other with a €28 price difference is weird enough. But the game closed down a year ago!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabula_Rasa_(video_game)#Closing

P.
    one on the left MOST be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    one of the left MOST be better!

Yeah, it has a girl on the cover. Shows how much more games with wimmins on the covers can charge :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ok this is weird I was in Game earlier today and spotted this,

dsc01540b.th.jpg

One new, one previously played. They may need to change their pre owned slogan!

chin_grin wrote: »

dsc01540b.th.jpg

See that all the time and if you get them to check whether the pre-owned price had dropped, it usually hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Shops claim retail games sales are dying - or at least PC sales - but then they're not even trying, so it's no wonder. I still buy books in shops because (a) bookshops are a pleasant place to browse and (b) still offer good deals.

P.

I went into gamestop yesterday after work to buy a PC game but they didn't have any. They had a whole shelf for used ps2 games, a whole row of shelves for dvds and a tiny corner of ths store with the 'top 10' pc games.
    WTF, they genuinely have more pc games in xtravision than they have in gamestop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah its sad really, the PC games are usually hidden away in some dark neglected corner. They are also usually still priced as brand new? I saw Supreme Commander Forged Alliance selling for 39.99 in gamestop on Henry st.(Dublin), it was released over 2 years ago and can be had for next to nothing from any half decent online retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

chin_grin wrote: »

dsc01540b.th.jpg

It's even funnier when the pre-owned is more expensive than the new version. Which happens surprisingly regularly in game...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Nothing will ever beat the photo that someone posted when far cry 2 came out last year.

It was in a sign in tesco saying

"New release - Fair City 2 €54.99"

Tesco as of last weekend, were looking for €69.99 for Bayonetta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭blue movie

damm i wish i took a picture today :mad:
    HMV in dundrum today were sellin Forza 2 for €29.99 new and the same game but with the x box classics cover for €19.99 :confused: Strange one i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

blue movie wrote: »
    damm i wish i took a picture today :mad:
    HMV in dundrum today were sellin Forza 2 for €29.99 new and the same game but with the x box classics cover for €19.99 :confused: Strange one i thought
    Thats actually very common, infact a lot say the main reason you wont see xbox classics or playstation platniums around is till the shop had sold off their originial priced versions.

Yeah, seen Infamous for both €49.99, €34.99 and the Platinum version for €24.99 in GAME.

Advertisement