Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm my shed?

Options
  • 17-02-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I have a small concrete shed that I want armed. I was wondering if I'm on the right line with these purchases:

Bosch BLP1 Pet Friendly Alarm Sensor Detector PIR Approx €21 Ebay delivered
    U6-NEW 100 METERS 6 CORE ALARM AND SIGNAL CABLE approx €27 Ebay delivered

The shed is about 20meters away from the alarm panel in the house.

Is it just a case of wiring the cable into the alarm panel in the house? Do I have to change settings in the alarm panel box?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For 20m the Alarm cable is fine,
    For a shed I would look for a Duel Tec or quad PiR.
    Like the bottom 2 on this page
    The one you linked to may be prone to false alarms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Thanks koolkid

I found this one one ebay for approx €70 delivered

So if I get those 2 items, the rest is straight forward? I guess its a standard alarm I have at home with an extra module to voice call phones.

actually I found a cheaper make here about €25 delivered

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes, Texecom PiR is ok.
    What make of alarm do you have?
    Ideally the PiR should go into its own zone.

I'll have a look later on this eveing, thanks again koolkid - keeping the boards.ie community secure :)

Trying my best anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

+1 on what koolkid said but those prices are fairly steep.
    Something like this will work. I can't recommend any place in Galway as the only place I knew closed down

I've attached pics of what my alarm system is. It was the first time I ever opened the alarm box... didn't know that the pre-alarm was going to go off, but it was ok as the whole thing didn't go off.

I can't really see what alarm it is?!?

I expected to see a whole load of wires coming to the box... so I guess they must all be hidden.

I don't mind where I buy the gear from. Locally would be ideal so I mite check out places nearby for honneywell or texecom dual or quad PIR's that are reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

Consider a CCTV camera over the door too,looks well for a visual deterent too.

As a visual deterent perhaps a dummy CCTV camera would do. I won't be going down the line of CCTV, but I do intend to eventually buy wireless IP camera's to link into my online server. (but only when they come down a bit more in price)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Sniipe wrote: »
    I've attached pics of what my alarm system is. It was the first time I ever opened the alarm box... didn't know that the pre-alarm was going to go off, but it was ok as the whole thing didn't go off.

I can't really see what alarm it is?!?

I expected to see a whole load of wires coming to the box... so I guess they must all be hidden.

I don't mind where I buy the gear from. Locally would be ideal so I mite check out places nearby for honneywell or texecom dual or quad PIR's that are reasonable.

It is a HKC 12 zone panel. You have a free zone to put the pir on on the expander.
    All the cables come in the back of the panel in the picture into the alarm box.
    You wont need the eng code to put the pir on unless you want to have it off when the alarm is partset.
    A dual pir is what you need for the shed.

• Advertisement

Thanks altor. I'll give it a go so :)

Thanks altor. I'll give it a go so :)

Your welcome Sniipe, any problems let us know..

jeesh, this has got to be one of the more friendlier and helpful forums :)

jeesh, this has got to be one of the more friendlier and helpful forums :)

We try our best :D

Advertisement