Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AUGUST BUMP CLUB!!

Options
  • 17-02-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all just said I'd start an August bump club but of course all are welcome.
    I'm 14 weeks pregnant on our third baby, I am very excited but also anxious as we have a 14 month old boy and I had leukaemia during my pregnancy with him. :eek:

I'm in remission and he is perfect. Just hope all goes well with this preg and we will have our hands full then. My 6 yr old is a gr8 help and is delighted (she wants a sister!) :D

Any names in mind?

I really like Emily (Millie) for a girl & Jay or Peter for a boy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AGrownUpTheySay

Hiya, Bubbles!

I am 14 weeks pregnant with my second. My little girl will be 2 in March. Very excited but also scared of how I will deal with maternity leave at home all day with 2!

Will be having this one in the Rotunda, was in the UK for the birth of my daughter. Due date is 16th of August.

Erm...what else? Currently work part time, 3 days a week, haven't told work yet but must do soon!

A G U T S

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

My wife is due on the 10th Aug first baby for us, all is going well so far. but still has not sunk in yet that its happening. anyways counting down the days and the appointments till it does. then it will be all so real.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Annie Bananie

Hello :) I am 17 weeks pregnant and my baby is due the 28th of July.. but somehow I just know it is going to be late and be born in August!
    This is my first and I am excited and a bit scared at the same time. At the moment I am just looking forward to my second scan which is in 3 weeks. I loved the first one, was just amazing to see the little one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Spinach

Hi ladies and dads! I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to join in. I'm 16 weeks so am hovering between an ETA of 31st July and 7th August (had my dates corrected a few weeks ago, but I presume that can probably change again before crunch time).

I'm living abroad so going through a whole different care system than most people here I think, but it's still really interesting to find out more about how things work back home as a comparison, plus I don't know any other pregnant people in my area yet so the chat here is great for just knowing what's normal and how everyone copes with stuff.

Oh yes so this is my first too, we're both pretty excited and thankfully feeling grand most of the time so far. Just starting to get a little belly this last week or two which kind of makes it all feel more real... Are you ladies showing yet? Also, what week have you been advised to start an antenatal course?

Burger - it can definitely take a while for it to sink in, I think! Even having seen my little Bean on the screen, I can't quite believe I am going to be a mum of 2!

Annie - are you going to try and find out the sex at your second scan? I think our plan is to find out but keep it a secret. However, with our first, she was crossing her legs so we couldn't see! We still really strongly felt she was a girl, dunno why!

Spinach - sure the due date is only a guide anyway. It's only something like 1 in 10 babies that are born on their due date. However, I suppose it is important in terms of knowing when you are overdue and that kind if thing. I was in the UK for my first so the Irish system is a whole new ballgame to me. My "booking in" appointment isn't til I am about 22 weeks so I got myself a private first trimester scan and turned up at the antenatal care at my GP's last week to get into the system and get thigns on paper! I have no idea when I'll be advised to do an antenatal course...refresher I suppose...but it'll be after 22 weeks, I guess seeing as I won't be setting foot in the hospital (all going well) before that.
    I am not showing yet (14 weeks)..well, I have a bit of a belly and when I am full after a meal, my OH says I look pregnant but I don't think a stranger would guess. Going to tell them in work next week so I can ask then if they were suspicious about my shape or not!

AGUTS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

Hey Everyguys, just to let you know you can get info on antenatal classes in your local maternity I'm sure if you just ring they could give you the info over the phone.. I did them during my 1st pregnancy and I didn't think they were that good - all I had was a square bum afterwards.. LOL And they showed a video of a woman giving birth and I'd say it was the most horrendous births they could've possibly shown! FULL ON! :eek:

I can believe I'm going to be a mum of 3 at just 24 total shock to the system, don't think I've taken it in yet to be honest. Just minding myself the best I can. My bump is fairly big for 14 weeks although I am being told I could be more I could be less unsure of my date but my ETA is 18th August accoding to the size of my bean on the screen. LOL :P

I work 3 days a week too but I'm out sick at the mo with very bad nausea - I think it's actually worse then labour itself! :rolleyes:

AGrownUpTheySay - Hello :) No we are not gonna look what sex it is. This is our first and we are gonna keep it as a surprise until the baby arrives :) My OH says he doesnt care which sex it is as long as it has 2 legs, 2 arms and a head haha :D Which is a good point :)

I am originally from Sweden and am living in England now, and some things are similar and many things different. The biggest difference is that in Sweden you get 400 days of maternity leave with 80% of your salary during the whole period. These 400 days the parents can share between them however they wish, but each parent MUST have at least 60 days each. So there is a lot of Dads on paternity leave in Sweden, which they unfortunately dont ge here in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi girls,
    I am 12 weeks and due 2nd of sept so really hoping i might be lucky enough to be a august mammy. I have a daughter that was 2 in dec so really looking forward to her having a bro or sis. Hi bubbles i really hope everything goes great for you my lil girl spent her first year going thru chemotherapy for treatment of rare blood disorder so i have an isea how hard the whole process hers to lovely healthy babies in 2010!

Wow, Annie - I have heard of the maternity leave in Sweden before but it impresses me every time!
    Over here in Ireland, mat leave is a bit shorter than in the UK, I think..but similar enough. I think statutory maternity pay is slightly more than in England so it's swings and roundabouts!

I think it's lovely to leave the sex a surprise. With our first, I wanted to leave it a surprise but OH really wanted to know. In the end it was taken out of our hands. I think we will find out this time but not tell anyone so it'll be a surprise for them but we can prepare a little. Also, a friend of mine was told that she was having a boy - had a 4d scan and everything, was sure they had seen boy bits but they were wrong!

Anyone else have any idea what they are going to do in terms of a summer holiday? I know it's only a minor thing and having a baby is way more important but I'd quite like to get away somewhere with OH and no. 1 before being plunged into the newborn chaos. HOwever, I would prefer to go in June, really as I won't be able to fly beyond mid-July so I am not sure what we'll do. I guess June is cheaper for holidays 'cause the primary schools aren't on holidays yet....

Also, in terms of mat leave. I know I am entitled to my holiday so I should really take it but if I have stuff to finish up at work, it might not suit. Ho hum.

AGUTS

Hi guys - i had a 3d scan on bb no 2 and i really wanted to know but OH didn't so i asked doc 2 write it down and put it in an envelope for us! We never opened it and the bb came along at 32 weeks but the doc was right.. I was happier with the surprise!

I'm not sure about my mat leave rights here in ireland as I think you have to be back to work so long b4 ur entitled to mat leave again and I have health problems so I've been out alot..

AGUTS - we are going to head just an hour from us to Kilkee Co Clare dunno if uve ever heard of it b4, it's lovely and peaceful, nice beach and all different beaches surrounding it eg spanish point carrigaholt.. I wil prob book a place for the last week in june 1st week in july as id be afraid to leave it any closer to due date. :)

• Advertisement

Well as I am from Sweden, my holiday will be going there haha :) Not sure if any of you would find that exciting :D

I have a question for you that already have children, which week did you start feeling the baby move. As said I am week 17 now and I think I felt it. It was like someone tickeling me on the inside of the tummy. Just happened 3 times so far, but I know its still early so..

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I can't believe there is an Aug 2010 bump club :D

My little fella was born on 1st Aug 2009. Jeez the time is flying by!

Good luck everyone.

I felt a few flutters already but as this is my 3rd i know what to expect - it's like a a fast short rumble in ur tummy, i call them flutters ha ha wait til you get to 6 months it's like a scene from aliens looking at ur belly and the baby is moving i love it!! :D:D:D

how ig are the bumps at the moment for other people? my wifes bump is no where to be seen...if it were not for a scan you could hardly tell that she is pregnant!!!??? her mam was around yesterday (she had 4 ) and said dont worry you will wake up one morning and it will just have appeared.

I have a noticable bump, but I am a bit round as well. So a skinny person would prob not have as big bump as me.

But it differs from woman to woman, the place where the baby is can be further in and out, so some show more then others. I would not be worried.

I think what I thought was the beginnings of my bump was mostly bloating :) This week I've been eating a lot more healthily than the previous couple of weeks and there's not so much to see in the belly department! I am also pretty tall so maybe that affects whether the bump will be high or low or protruding much or whatever. A stranger would probably still not notice that I'm pregnant but on the other hand I am going around the house with my trousers open at the waist most of the time so it will be time for shopping soon enough!

Anyone looked at buying maternity clothes online yet? I know ASOS and New Look are fairly cheap and cheerful, any other suggestions?

its getting more pronounced now, even after a few days, also quite firm.... to touch. not like pushing her tummry normally. she has started looking at maternity wear, off to NY next week and she is going to buy a load there.

Ooh, burger, very jealous of heading to NY and getting maternity gear over there!

I am not really looking pregnant...well, I do after eating if I am wearing certain clothes - a lady at work guessed but 2 others reacted with total disbelief and said there wasn't a pick on me! (both of them said exactly that!) so I am just bloaty rather than nice and bumpy! 16 weeks tomorrow.

For maternity clothes, I am going to look at H&M tomorrow. I had a look at ASOS and nothing really caught my eye but there is nice stuff in New Look. Last time I got some stuff from Littlewoods (I was in the UK but they are here now!) but had a look there and didn't see much I liked - I think I am being too fussy!)

I have found that skirts are a lot more accommodating at this stage of pregnancy, if you are a skirt person! Dresses even more so, depending on the cut. A skirt that usually sits on the hips can often sit around the waist instead (as long as it's not too short!) so that's handy..or you can undo a side zip and wear a bump band/long top to cover the gap!

AGUTS

agrownuptheysay - your not the only one to be jealous. really looking forward to it, have not had a holiday in over a year. wife is then heading off to portugal when we get back for 6 days!!!! her excuse is that its for a conference (which it is) but i know differently. had the first appointment with the consultant today. everything fine, 2 arms, 2 legs, one head, one heart beat. the amount of people though to be seen was crazy, we were told appointment for 1.30pm arrived on time and so did about another 50 women!!!! waited for 1.5 hrs to be seen for a five minute consultation.

Well I did my maternity clothes shopping at the weekend and am pretty happy with my little haul. It was pretty easy to get tops - the shops seem to be full of cheap enough long shirts and smock-type tops anyway, without having to shell out extra for actual maternity stuff. I basically got things in long or loose styles, a size or two bigger than usual.
    Then I just got one pair of proper maternity jeans with the over-the-bump band attached, and three extra belly bands for wearing with low-slung trousers, of which I'm still fitting into a couple of pairs. I'm 20 weeks now - halfway, woohoo! - so hopefully that will get me through until I get really huge :)

Edit: AGUTS, I haven't really tried any skirts recently because the problem is (for me) that it's definitely still tights weather at least where I am in Europe, and I can't stand anything tight on my belly (er, where my waist used to be...) I wonder is it worth paying extra for maternity tights, which come in a much more restricted range of colours and patterns, or will I just wait until it's warm enough to go without...

• Advertisement

right my wife is 22 weeks gone and some of you are in and around that point too. so i would just like to ask, what is the story with the freaky dreams???? nightmares every night, really vivid dreams that the wife is having and remembering? she is never like this and i wonder if anyone is having the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Hey Burger..
    Im 27 weeks tomorrow and i have the same thing..
    Seriously weird dreams that actually make me upset when i wake up..
    One involving a snake trying to get into me to get at the baby ..
    I actually get a fright when i wake up becoz im not sure a)Wether these are real or not and B)Im scared incase i actually hurt the baby while im asleep..

So yes i get very vivid both dreams and nightmares :D
    I reckon we should start a new thread and record the dreams and make a multi million euro selling book called "Dreams from the womb":D:D

Dreams from the womb i like it....... again last night contained snakes, trips away with her dad to south africa (she has never been there) and i think the yearning for a holiday. i tell you its some imagination that she has picked up when sleeping lately.....that book idea is looking pretty good. anyone else got any messed up dreams whilst pregnant that they want to share???

HI ALL I HAVEN'T BEEN ON IN A WHILE I'M NOW 24 WEEKS VERY BIG (I THINK MYSELF) & BABY IS VERY ACTIVE. I HAD A NITEMARE LAST NIGHT THAT THERE WAS A MASSIVE QUEEN BEE TANGLED IN MY HAIR AND I COULDN'T GET AWAY FROM IT - AWFUL!! I'VE HAD DREAMS LATELY THAT SEEM SO REAL I'M WONDERING THE NEXT DAY WHETHER IT WAS A DREAM OR NOT.. MY YOUNGEST HAS JUST STARTED WALKING SO GREAT EXCITEMENT.. GOING TO BE A BUSY YEAR AHEAD.. HOPE YE ARE ALL KEEPING WELL. :D

yeah 26 weeks gone and 14 to go. its all starting to get rather real now. dont get me wrong it's not that it wasnt real from the start but its starting to sink in more. my friend had a baby, he's chuffed, a guy in work had a baby yesterday, all these people around me are all having babies and now that i know its going to happen to me its getting more real (is any of this making any sense???). the bump is getting bigger, the kicking is in full flow (poor wife takes it in the crotch alot from him:D:D), the hardness of the bump in certain places, its all getting rather exciting.

as for the dreams well they just continue to get better and better, but i'm keeping them to myself for the book. :P:P:D:D

if you place your two fingers just under ur wifes belly button you can actually feel the baby squirming around - feels weird. oh its going to happen to you soon alright with a bang.. not looking forward to the sleepless nights at all.. my son is 18 months and he's only just about sleeping thru the night.. :( have ye gotten a 3d scan done? they're cool..

Hey all - less then 6 weeks left && all going gr8 thank god! Found out we're having another boy.. How are you all doing with your baby bumps?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

hi bubbles09 im due sept 2nd so just over 7 weeks left. heartburn has me destroyed its so bad. like u getting a bit apprehensive about birth this is baby number 2 for me and i had a similar birth to your first i've had a few nightmares about stitches and episotomies!

Hi ladies, well I have just under 4 weeks left... Bring it on, I say! It is far too hot to be waddling around like this for another 4 weeks :p We're into the third week of temps in the mid to high 30s where I live and I am not amused.

And oh my God I am so sick of the heartburn too Elsy. Was just saying to my boyfriend last night that I can't remember what it was like to just eat whatever I like and forget about it...

Actually a few days ago I had a night where I thought I was going to go early, had more frequent contractions with a lot more pressure, although not pain as such, it seemed like, than the previous Braxton Hicks which I hardly noticed. But eventually a hot water bottle in the middle of the night seemed to calm them down so false alarm I suppose. Then again I kind of know what triggered them ;) so I'll know what to do when I really do want baby out :D

• Advertisement

Wifey has been in and out of hospital over the last fwe weeks, going in for twice weekly check ups with usually one night being kept in for high blood pressure. thing is though when she measures it at home its fine, i reckon when she goes to see the consultant on the monday it drives the pressure up. she was kept in over night last night again..........its driving her a bit loo la. anyway 36 weeks gone and they reckon that she will pop early. which means that the baby could be a july baby and not an august baby.....................can i still be part of the club??????

Advertisement