Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AUGUST BUMP CLUB!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Well the prediction came true, mini burger was born last friday weighing in at just over 6 pounds. nice and healthy. so no more august bump club for me:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

burger1979 wrote: »
    Well the prediction came true, mini burger was born last friday weighing in at just over 6 pounds. nice and healthy. so no more august bump club for me:D:D

Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Spinach

Congratulations Burger, and hope the missus and mini-Burger are all doing well. What have you named him or her? Are they home yet?

So who is next in August I wonder? I am 39+3 so just counting down now. There were a couple of weeks there where I thought i might go in July too but my mum is coming to stay with us tomorrow so hoping it happens during the week while she's here. She has helpfully suggested I get down and start scrubbing the floor :) I know I could go two weeks over since it's my first but I just hope not! Got a great night's sleep last night so today would be good... second-guessing every twinge and Braxton-Hicks...

Anyone else out there expecting or hoping to pop at any minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlows

Hi All,

I am due my second baby on 29th Aug (36+4weeks) :D. Actually due the day my little boy starts school so hoping i go a little early or late ;). Baby is very very active. Its getting tough now especially at night! How are ye all feeling?

Dum di dum... 40+2 here. I know 2 days isn't much to go over, but bring it on! My mum's going to be disappointed if she has to back home on Wed without meeting the baby. I'm not doing too badly with sleeping and so on the last few days, despite being bigger than ever before - trying to stay active too hoping exercise will get things going. I'm already 3cm dilated so what's keeping me?! Back to the doctor later today anyway for another CTG so hoping some nice contractions might appear by then.

Carlow fair play to you managing with your little boy as well - it's taking all my energy just being pregnant :) How will I ever cope if a second one comes along :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

didnt even know this thread existed :eek:
    well im due today and no sign of the little fella hope its not too much longer fingers feet and legs are killing me so is my back and tired of being a whale hopefully dont go over by too much as i do not want to be induced :o

Hi Edellc, well good luck! Fingers crossed for you, I don't fancy the idea of induction myself either!
    Today was 40+5 for me, still nothing happening... dropped my mum back to the airport last night (I'm living abroad), such a shame she didn't get to be here for the big event but she just had to take a chance on the dates back when she booked the flights :(. I'm not too uncomfortable physically though, sounds like you have it a lot worse Edellc! I think I will almost miss my bump in a weird way although of course I can't wait to meet the baby.
    I'm back to the doc for yet another CTG tomorrow, the protocol here seems to be every 2 days once you go overdue which will get tired fairly quickly. Not sure when they will start talking about induction, heard today it might be around the 10 day mark... well, still plenty of time for me to go naturally before then, I hope!

My bump is no more!
    Last Sunday I was 8 days overdue. I saw a locum doctor on the Friday before as my obgyn was gone on holidays. She was amazed that I was 4cm dilated but still nothing happening so she told me to go to the hospital on Sunday and be prepared for them to keep me in and induce me. I really would have preferred to avoid being induced so decided to go ahead to the hospital but only to get a second opinion and ask them would they normally proceed at this stage or would they advise me to give it another few days.

So Sunday morning we put the final things in the bag and were all ready, although reluctant, to leave for the hospital. I was just sitting in front of the computer around midday looking for stories of other women with the same things going on, when suddenly, whoosh, my waters went - it felt instant and unmistakeable and so much of it! No wondering "is this for real" this time! I was delighted and excited that it was really happening now. Jumped back in the shower to get cleaned up again and discovered the waters were full of meconium so was slightly worried that this could be a problem.

The contractions started in straight away while I was in the shower and again, there was no mistaking that this time they were for real. They already seemed really frequent and by the time we were in the car were 2 to 3 minutes apart. Had to stop the car to get sick briefly just outside the hospital. Anyway got in and straight onto the CTG, was so uncomfortable I really didn't want to stay on it for half an hour and they didn't make me, they could see what they wanted to see after 10 or 15 minutes. Then I spent some time trying to go to the toilet (sorry TMI) while they filled up the birthing pool for me, my bowels and feeling the need to go was nearly more discomfort than the contractions themselves at that stage.

Anyway after a short while failing to find any comfortable position standing or kneeling against the bed, the pool was ready and it was such a relief to get into the warm water. They have wireless sensors that you can wear in the water so there was no problem about the meconium or anything, they can still monitor the baby just as well as outside the pool. I had a student midwife who stayed in the room almost the whole time but stayed quiet and a senior midwife who was excellent, calm and encouraging but in no way overbearing, and left us to ourselves for a short while now and then. And my partner was also super, well able to cope with my communication becoming zoned out and monosyllabic and always ready with the water bottle or cold compresses.

So went on trying to remember to breathe properly and not tense against the contractions, there was a clock on the wall and sometimes it seemed like ridiculously little time had gone by and I was dreading each new contraction, other times I lost track of how long I'd already been in there. At one point the midwife said "you've started pushing with that last contaction, haven't you" and I was thinking, did I, ok if you say so... So I gradually noticed the transition to pushing with the contractions and it was a little mental boost to know that milestone had been passed, even though the pressure in my whole pelvis was even greater now. It was so hard to find any position that felt tolerable, even in the water, but I ended up sort of half-reclining with my legs out in front of me braced on the side of the pool. When the midwife told me they could see the head that was another little boost, and then the serious pushing followed.

I did not really want to feel the head, funnily enough, when she told me I could before it had fully emerged, but my partner did. It was the most amazing thing to look down and see it through the water though after the next push. Two more pushes delivered the rest of her and the midwife lifted her straight onto my chest. She cried straight away and I was delighted. They had told me the pediatrician and nurses were ready in the next room to check her straight away because of the meconium but it was such a joy to hold her and hear her cry for a minute or two before they took her out.

Altogether it was about 4 hours since my waters broke and 3 hours in the pool. I got out and onto the bed to wait for the placenta. I had to push for that too which i didn't enjoy at all as I felt so weak but it has to come out! The main thing was I knew my girl was happy and healthy at that stage. She was 4000g and 54cm. And today she is one week old :)

Advertisement