Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good gun shop

Options
  • 17-02-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any good local gunshops, offering good service at a fair price?

I'm trying to put together a list to build up a dealer network to get more products available locally to Irish shooters, that are usually only available (at high shipping rates!) from the UK.

All over the country preferably

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

demonloop wrote: »
    Anyone have any good local gunshops, offering good service at a fair price?

I'm trying to put together a list to build up a dealer network to get more products available locally to Irish shooters, that are usually only available (at high shipping rates!) from the UK.

All over the country preferably

TIA
    heres a few no contact details

scully guns and tackle, Athlone
    Midwest sporting supplies, Newmarketonfergus co Clare.
    lifestyle sports Mallow co Cork
    Duffys Galway.
    Jim halpin Listowel co Kerry

thats only a few, you will find contact details in the irish shooters digest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That list is a bit out of date, and cannot be user edited.
    In Cork, Cork Angling and Outdoor are good to deal with and nice new premises.
    Not a huge range of ammo but their prices are good.
    www.fishingandhunting.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

CJhaughey wrote: »
    That list is a bit out of date, and cannot be user edited.
    In Cork, Cork Angling and Outdoor are good to deal with and nice new premises.
    Not a huge range of ammo but their prices are good.
    www.fishingandhunting.ie

It can be user edited very easy
    But you must log-in to do any editing

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Thanks gents, to be honest I had the complete list from the Digest etc, but wanted to find those recommended by shooters for good value/service - rather than just them all.

I'll go through the links, thanks for those, but if anyone has personal experiences good or bad I'd love to know. PM if nescessary, rather than slag any shop on the board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

I would highly recommend Paul O Halloran, Drangan, Tipperary 052 52112

Always a pleasure to deal with and very competitive with prices.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sean Harding - Stakelums - Thurles
    Jim McBride - Ballykeeran - Athlone
    Sean O'Neill - Atlantic Sports - Carlow
    Neil - Lakelands - Mullingar
    John Butler - Griffin and Hawe - Athy
    Jim Griffin - Rahann - Tullamore
    Gerry Scully - Scully's - Athlone

I have used all the above over the years. Was going to mention a few in Dublin but 2 of them are closed and i haven't been to the 3rd in some years.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

the sports shop in kilkenny isnt too bad
    john greene in southern rifle and optics in kilmacow is very good
    grffin hawe in athy not bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Sean Harding - Stakelums - Thurles

Paul O Halloran, Drangan, Tipperary 052 52112

Sean O'Neill - Atlantic Sports - Carlow

Duffys Galway.

Neil McVeigh (Crescent Sports), Monkstown, Dublin - Another gent and always good for a chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Duffys is fine until something goes wrong and he tells ya to F.O.

Often go to Ballykeeran Sports in Athlone, James McBride. Bit expensive but good service.

Often heard good things about that Paul O'Halloran too, but never been there.

Island Sports in Castlebar was way over priced last time I was there.

Scullys is always good for a conspiracy theory ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Heard great things about Paul O Halloran in Drangan, but I've never dealt with him.

I asked Pat in Mallow for a price on a rifle, never got back to me! I bought my p226 there aswell!

Priced a scope in Duffys and got a crazy price!

Island sports, alleged S&B dealer wasnt interested in my business!

I'm getting my T3 from Mervyn Young, along with scope, mod and bipod.

Any Irish dealer I contacted was either looking for ridiculous money or never bothered their arse gettin back to me:eek:

As much as I would like to spend my hard earned cash here, theres no room on my back for a saddle!

I would highly recommend Mervyn to anybody and I'm sure there are others on here would too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Sean Harding in Stakelums, Thurles is the bizz! A gent.

Neil McVeigh (Crescent Sports), Monkstown, Dublin - Another gent and always good for a chat:D

Intershoot in NI (Sam & Ryan) are extremely helpful and have some great products/stock.

Paddy O'Mahoney in Alamo / an Riocht in Castlemaine has a very well stocked and interesting gun room most of the time - He's a great man for the chat too.

Have heard very good things about John Lambert in Camolin, but can't comment from own experience.
    Island sports, alleged S&B dealer wasnt interested in my business

Is Island Sports in business still?:D Still waiting on response back from them for the last 4 - 5 months in relation to a Steyr Mannlicher SSG04 (Apparently Steyr M. think they're the main Irish distributor:rolleyes:). Needlesstosay, I've since gone elsewhere and purchased another rifle (Not a Steyr Mannlicher, in case anyone from SM Marketing department are reading this - You lost a sale!:D:rolleyes:).

That's just some of the RFD's I can personally vouch for having dealt with them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

i went into tallaght rod n gun on three seperate occasions to buy some hunting clothing. each time i left my contact details and never heard anything back. didnt find them helpful at all and have not gone back since. oh and they still hav'nt contacted me. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

dicky82 wrote: »
    i went into tallaght rod n gun on three seperate occasions to buy some hunting clothing. each time i left my contact details and never heard anything back. didnt find them helpful at all and have not gone back since. oh and they still hav'nt contacted me. .

par for the course there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Invincible

David Mulvehill 086 8229827 ,near Ballymahon,very straight to deal with,no B.S,bought a Ucaller Remote reduced to €75 off him last night. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Syl in Top Gun in Drogheda is a sound lad. Pricewise he'd be middle of the road but he's very nice to deal with and so far I've always found him to be a relaible. Doesn't promise the sun, moon and stars and then crawls back. Plus he's got a straight line to a capable fellow for repairs.

Clarke's in Navan isn't the worst either and I find Simon to be quite sound as well.

Armstrongs in Omagh are good to deal with as well. Apparently there's a good outfit in Irvinestown and another in maguiresbridge Fermanagh as well, I haven't dealt with either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

doyle61 wrote: »
    john greene in southern rifle and optics in kilmacow is very good
    i thought he was on the tramore road.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Thanks lads, thats a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

seanybiker wrote: »
    i thought he was on the tramore road.

no seany thats john o brien you are thinking off

ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Irish Springer

murph226 wrote: »
    Heard great things about Paul O Halloran in Drangan, but I've never dealt with him.

I asked Pat in Mallow for a price on a rifle, never got back to me! I bought my p226 there aswell!

Priced a scope in Duffys and got a crazy price!

Island sports, alleged S&B dealer wasnt interested in my business!

I'm getting my T3 from Mervyn Young, along with scope, mod and bipod.

Any Irish dealer I contacted was either looking for ridiculous money or never bothered their arse gettin back to me:eek:

As much as I would like to spend my hard earned cash here, theres no room on my back for a saddle!

I would highly recommend Mervyn to anybody and I'm sure there are others on here would too!

Would agree with you there on Mervyn,
    Contacted many dealers about getting a .223 rifle and looking for prices etc , they either didnt get back, would be waiting until next shipment 4-6 months:eek:or way over priced!

Contacted Mervyn and he had a list as long as my arm of suitable guns and suggested i call up. Man he has alot of stuff for rifle men.
    Ended up buying a Sako 85 with Mod, Bushnell elite 2.5 16x42 scope, Harris bipod, Case and buffulo river 6/7 gun cabinet. oh and ammo aswell. :cool:

There there you go Southern Irish Dealers a big sale lost over your incompetence!:mad::mad::mad:

He even rang the next day to say he has sorted out the import with a dealer 5 mins where i live.
    Couldn't recommend him enough!!:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

also check out www.sportsden.ie. loads of 2nd hand stuff though many of them look like scrap that were handed in.

still need a decent dealer in limerick,no body down this side except the shooting,fishing,archery store in the milk market,very over priced and has not got a clue about guns either,has only got about a dozen guns in stock on a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

In the past i
    I've used
    • J Mc Bride in Athlone - v good to deal with. Massive stock
    • G Scully in Athlone - good to deal with but can be dear. One thing, if he says he can order or get you something I've found he always delivers.
    • P Halloran Drangan - good to deal with, good prices
    • Sean in Stakelums -good to deal with
    • J Griffin in Rahan - good stock and prices but bad atmosphere in shop. Don't order from him it will take forever, if it arrives at all.
    • B Duffy Galway - I'd agree with previous poster he's ok until something goes wrong then he falls out with customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

still need a decent dealer in limerick,no body down this side except the shooting,fishing,archery store in the milk market,very over priced and has not got a clue about guns either,has only got about a dozen guns in stock on a good day. still need a decent dealer in limerick,no body down this side except the shooting,fishing,archery store in the milk market,very over priced and has not got a clue about guns either,has only got about a dozen guns in stock on a good day.

Don't forget Lazy dog in knocklong. can be very good and always does a good deal. Ray sampson is the owner. about half hour drive from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Cant beat Ian Jameson (aim and swing) in Mount Nugent, Cavan good value good for a chat and will assit and get what you want. Good stock....too good sometimes

Malcolm Graham in Monagahn is also a gent and good value, if its not on the shelf he'll get it (competing with border prices )

Maurice Allen outside Newtown Butler on the Clones road a real gent and good value to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

found good to deal with in the SW.
    Tim landers of Landers lesiure Tralee,good selection,and a good few exotics in a walk in gunroom.Deal with himself personally if you can.

Jim Halpin in Listowel,very knowledgeable on vintage and classic rifles,and some lovely old classic rifles in stock.

Pat Hayes in Mallow,is good too for a fairish price on 9mm ammo.Has one or two exotics in the gunroom

Those are about the nearest apart from Lazy Dog to Limerick that have normal shop hours.there is a lad out in New market on Fergus,but he is impossible to get hold of most of the time

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

Syl in Top Gun in Drogheda is a sound lad. Pricewise he'd be middle of the road but he's very nice to deal with and so far I've always found him to be a relaible. Doesn't promise the sun, moon and stars and then crawls back. Plus he's got a straight line to a capable fellow for repairs.

Clarke's in Navan isn't the worst either and I find Simon to be quite sound as well.

Armstrongs in Omagh are good to deal with as well. Apparently there's a good outfit in Irvinestown and another in maguiresbridge Fermanagh as well, I haven't dealt with either.

i went out to the guy in maguiresbridge one day when i was in enniskillen.
    its a small shop owned by norman harpur and as soon as i came in the door he was out eyballing me up and down.
    i was looking for an under and over sporter and he tried to put a rubbish turkish gun on me.
    he had good prices for new lanber and bettinsoli guns.
    c a andersons in omagh is a nice gun shop with a good choice of guns and good prices on ammunition.
    i found island sports in castlebar to be fairly ok and offered good advice on what to purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DonalP

Give Paul O Halloran in Drangan a call, great guy to deal with, fair prices and good stock

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lead loader

johngalway wrote: »

I am sorry John but i have to take issue with your assessment of Duffy's in Galway. I have done a lot of business with Brian and Hugh Duffy. I have to say that i have never had a single problem with Duffy's. I am living in Co. Meath and i make a point of dealing with Brian Duffy. I have always found him to be extremley helpful and his products are well priced. He has a brilliant website www.shoot.ie and post and packing are very quick and reasonable. Both myself and a buddy of mine have had problems with sig mosquitos and Brian couldnt do enough to help us out!! In fact i dont think i have ever seen the level of customer service that i have received from Duffy's in any other line of business etc. I could whole heartedly recomend Duffy's to anyone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

johngalway wrote: »

I am sorry John but i have to take issue with your assessment of Duffy's in Galway.

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. So am I :)

I bought a Baikal MP-153 from him for €600, plus all the extras - cleaning gear etc, ammo, plus lamping gear including battery.

I bought a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223 from him for €1015.

I asked him to price two particular scopes for me, a Schmidt and Bender and a Nightforce. Both high end scopes. Basically I had to chase him for a period of time, received promises that he was to call a guy about the scopes. I'm still waiting for the prices by the way :rolleyes:

As I had the rifle, I bought the scope elsewhere.

Michael asked me a few months after that was I sorted for a scope as they had NF's in. I told him that yeah I was OK for a scope now as I had bought one.

Brians attitude towards me changed from then on.

I went in to him after that looking for a particular brand of ammo, Federal Bulk Pack - similar to American Eagle. Brian insisted on trying to sell me all the other ammo in the shop, fair enough, he didn't have the stuff I asked for. I had already informed him of the brands that would not shoot in the incredibly ammo fussy rifle I owned. By the by, never once did I blame him for the rifles ammo fussiness either to his face or behind his back.

At the end of the conversation that day, when I declined to buy ammo I knew my rifle would not shoot accurately, Brian chose to mutter at me that (regarding the rifles fussiness) "It's not my problem is it".

My apologies, but, that was uncalled for and childish.

Anyway. After that I took my business elsewhere. I bought a Sako Quad for €750, and part exchanged my Tikka for my Remington. Also bought a scope for the Quad plus all it's gear.

One day I needed some Hornady ammo. A guy I knew had been in the day prior to my visit and bought 5 boxes of what I was looking for. A guy a day later say 30 odd boxes of the same ammo downstairs. I went in on the day in between and I was told they never stocked that type of ammo.

I've literally spend thousands elsewhere now. I chose to do that as I like to be treated with some little bit of common decency when parting with my hard earned cash.

I've no problem with anyone shopping in Duffys, it's handy for a lot of lads and his prices on some things are competitive. But, if I'm asked my opinion, I'll give it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

I usually do all my dealings with sean harding in thurles and paul o halloran in drangan. Two great guys to deal with. For the most of the last deer season though i went down to connollys red mills in goresbridge to joe meehan. Sound skin to talk to and seems to have a good choise of berretas and other shotguns down there. Nice few rifles to and he has no probem ordering in something if he doesnt have it in stock and gets it in no time to.

Advertisement