Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good gun shop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I usually do all my dealings with sean harding in thurles and paul o halloran in drangan. Two great guys to deal with. For the most of the last deer season though i went down to connollys red mills in goresbridge to joe meehan. Sound skin to talk to and seems to have a good choise of berretas and other shotguns down there. Nice few rifles to and he has no probem ordering in something if he doesnt have it in stock and gets it in no time to.

I total agree with what Sako 75 says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Where abouts is Connollys in Goresbridge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lead loader

johngalway wrote: »

"That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. So am I :)"

I never said you weren't:p

"I asked him to price two particular scopes for me, a Schmidt and Bender and a Nightforce. Both high end scopes. Basically I had to chase him for a period of time, received promises that he was to call a guy about the scopes. I'm still waiting for the prices by the way :rolleyes:"

I have read different posts on boards where different F'arms dealers dont stock the full range of nightforce scopes and if you want to order a particular model it can take a couple of months to get the scope in. Sounds like an issue with the importer not the firearms dealer to me:p

"As I had the rifle, I bought the scope elsewhere."

Thats your prerogative, and nobody said otherwise:P

"I went in to him after that looking for a particular brand of ammo, Federal Bulk Pack - similar to American Eagle. Brian insisted on trying to sell me all the other ammo in the shop"

Sounds to me like brian was trying to be helpful. A dealer cant be expected to keep every kind of ammo in all calibers in stock. I am sure if you had asked for a particular brand in a specific caliber, Brian would have obliged. The reason i know this is because i wanted Sako .308 target rounds. Brian didn't stock them but he ordered them in for me.:D,

"At the end of the conversation that day, when I declined to buy ammo I knew my rifle would not shoot accurately, Brian chose to mutter at me that (regarding the rifles fussiness) "It's not my problem is it".

My apologies, but, that was uncalled for and childish."

Sorry John my understanding from your original post was that Brian told you to F**k off??

Which is it then?

if you are going to accuse somebody in a public forum you better at least get your story straight!!

That is what i initally took exception with. The Brian Duffy that i know is a pure gentleman and would never tell a customer to f**k off. please bear in mind that he is a business man trying to earn a living. We are all entitled to our opinion but your initial remarks could be very detramental to the man's business, and form your own explanation of your gripe with Duffy's your initial remarks are not even accurate (and quite possibly actionable!)

Please John Galway conduct yourself with a bit of decorum and dont destroy a man's charecter because he didnt have a certain type of ammo in stock on a certain day:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Paul in Drangan

Sean in Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Where abouts is Connollys in Goresbridge ?

When you come to the main junction in the village head straight through the lights for about 150 yards or so the road will vere a little to the right and you will see the river on the right hand side Connollys Red Mills is up on the left you cant miss it.

Joe Meany is usally there all day friday and half day sat if not Martin Bolger is there and should sort you out.
    I have bought my last 2 rifles and shotgun there. Nice sound lads who will try and get in most firearms for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

stakelums in thurles
    aim and swing in cavan
    top gun in drogheda
    john lambert in camolin

i found all the lads in there helpful and sound to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Regarding JohnGalway's comments about Duffy's in Galway. I find what he said to be reasonable and not vitriolic.

My experience with this dealer is I tried to buy a firearm from Duffy's about a year ago. He had to order it. His price was very competitive and he was totally sound to deal with on the phone. It went on for several weeks with me calling regularly to see if there was any update on the order. I even called in to the shop in Galway and bought some ammo etc for a different firearm, again I found them fine to deal with.

Eventually (after 6 weeks) I found a similar firearm for sale second hand with another dealer and I bought it. The chap in Duffy's was put out about this and when I met him on a range not long after and he would barely speak to me. Not the sort of behaviour that would encourage anyone to give this business any more custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The OP asked for a recommendation, not negativity. If you have an issue with a dealer, take it up with him, most of us are not interested.
    Personally, were I to order a product for a customer I would tell him when to expect it, and keep him up to date. Should that customer see the product elsewhere and buy it without reference to me, I would not be happy to see him again. Ever. Anywhere.
    That's why most vendors look for a deposit;)

FWIW
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

leupold90 wrote: »
    Regarding JohnGalway's comments about Duffy's in Galway. I find what he said to be reasonable and not vitriolic.

I 've had dealings with duffys over the last few years and i'd agree completey with john it' s all hunky dorey till theres a problem and then you see the otherside.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

My experience with this dealer is I tried to buy a firearm from Duffy's about a year ago. He had to order it. His price was very competitive and he was totally sound to deal with on the phone. It went on for several weeks with me calling regularly to see if there was any update on the order. I even called in to the shop in Galway and bought some ammo etc for a different firearm, again I found them fine to deal with.

Eventually (after 6 weeks) I found a similar firearm for sale second hand with another dealer and I bought it. The chap in Duffy's was put out about this and when I met him on a range not long after and he would barely speak to me. Not the sort of behaviour that would encourage anyone to give this business any more custom.

To be fair, asking him to order in a gun and then backing out of the deal he's hardly to be expected to unfurl the red carpet when you arrive at his shop :confused:

If it was a gun he would normally have in stock I can see your point to an extent but if it's something a bit more exotic, he could end up taking a loss on it to move it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Ptrick Carley of ballysilla,ballymurn Enniscorthy co wexford
    spotted a gun on irishguntrader.ie and got this guys number,got myself a good deal on a semiauto 12g and the bloke was very helpful also.
    his number is 086 6861154

The OP asked for a recommendation, not negativity. If you have an issue with a dealer, take it up with him, most of us are not interested.
    Personally, were I to order a product for a customer I would tell him when to expect it, and keep him up to date. Should that customer see the product elsewhere and buy it without reference to me, I would not be happy to see him again. Ever. Anywhere.

FWIW
    P.

I'm interested to see both recommendations and negative comments to be honest. I don't want businesses dragged over the coals on a public forum, but I do want to be aware of negative comments also.

As I said in the OP, I want to build up a network of good dealers, that includes excluding the ones that, well, aren't.

I will be contacting all the dealers recommended in the next few weeks, to firstly offer them the chance to stock JSB pellets.

For any of you unaware, the most accurate pellet on the market.

They manufacture pellets for 10m ISSF air rifle/pistol, and domed field target / hunter field target - all hand sorted!

Hopefully in your local dealers soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

(directions to connollys red mills gun shop, goresbridge-kilkenny direction). If your coming from kilkenny side you take a left as your coming into goresbridge, pass the primary school, take another left at the T-junction at the end of the road and about a 1/4 mile out the road. Honestly joe is a great guy to deal with, havent met martin yet but im sure he ia also a sound skin to.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

Definately recomend John Lambert in Co. Wexford, very good to deal with and best price for the ammo im using.

My cousin bought a gun off Patrick Carley in Co. Wexford again a sound lad to deal with would recomend him.

dr6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

John Lambert in Camolin, Wexford

Neil McVeigh in Crescent Sports, Monkstown, Dublin

Griffin Hawe, Athy, Kildare

Tannyoky Guns, Poyntzpass

I can give my resounding recommendation for all of the above. I've also been on the phone to Stakelums a few times and they've been brilliantly upfront about enquiries with regard to prices, times when things will be in, and their personal reservations and caveats. They always seem to be very keen not to screw their customers over, and this is borne out by the experiences of many friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

FWIW
    P.

Speak for yourself, I'm definitely interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Lads just to clarify. I never actually got to the stage where I ordered the firearm. Initally I contacted them to see if they could get one, based on the prices other shooters had told me.

They said they could and the price was very good. The deal was I had to pay a deposit before they ordered it - which I agreed to. However, as I said I waited 6 weeks (keping in touch with them at least once per week) and they couln't source one. In the end I got fed up waiting and took the opportunity to purchase a second hand one when it became available.

The shop was never out of pocket.

Lads just to clarify. I never actually got to the stage where I ordered the firearm. Initally I contacted them to see if they could get one, based on the prices other shooters had told me.

They said they could and the price was very good. The deal was I had to pay a deposit before they ordered it - which I agreed to. However, as I said I waited 6 weeks (keping in touch with them at least once per week) and they couln't source one. In the end I got fed up waiting and took the opportunity to purchase a second hand one when it became available.

The shop was never out of pocket.

Ah that's different. From reading your first post I thought you had ordered it not just priced it.

In that case they had no reason to be annoyed, they coudn't get one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The OP asked for a recommendation, not negativity.

So everyone should turn a blind eye and go with the sheep is it?

People come here for recommendations for lots of things, scopes, rifles, shotguns, ammo etc. Should we only ever talk about the good aspects? Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

johngalway wrote: »
    Should we only ever talk about the good aspects?

To give a general, everyone-should-read-this answer, there's No such rule and there are no plans ever to create one.

However, people being people, negative reviews are something that should be written in a fairly specific way -- you list the exact facts of what happened; you give your opinion at the end of those facts; you avoid paraphrasing verbal exchanges (because "he told me to eff off" as verbal shorthand for "he said there wasn't any demand for X and so he didn't keep it in stock or plan to" tends to cause hassle); and choose your language precisely when giving your opinion ("they're a pack of crooks" will get us sued; "I think they're overpriced and I don't want to give them my business" is utterly safe).

The only times we ever have problems with complaints is when the person posting the complaint gets... overly enthusiastic when presenting their case. My take on it is that if the experience was that bad, the bare facts are damning without needing an editorial; and if not, then there's no real need to damn to begin with.

For example, a while back some folks complained quite a bit that Duffy's wouldn't let them into the gun room to look at the merchandise. Thing is, it's not a walk-in gun room. It's a storeroom, not intended for the public to walk through and the local Gardai prefer things that way. That's a decent example of an unjust complaint, in my mind.

On the other hand, if someone's charging a 50% markup on ammo, they deserve the drop in business when people find out (and that drop in business is why there's no need for hyperbole - if dealer A is charging €30 for a box of ammo and dealer B is charging €20 for the same box, that's all that needs reporting to correct the situation).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

So far I have only used:

Top Gun in Droghead. I have brought 3 guns from there in the past year. The more I get into things, the more people seem to tell me they find him dear. I don't have too much experience of pricing around to argue that one either way. 65e for 250 no5s, and 16e for 50 hornady 17g 17hrm. However, I do find he supplies a good service and has looked after me.

I have used Island in Dundalk once or twice and they seem reasonable.

What I really need to do is get around a few more shops and get more experience, so I'm interested in hearing the good and the bad in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Thanks for the directions Sako and Rifle, I went to Joe in Connollys of Goresbridge.
    Nice guy allright, got a few bits and pieces off him and got a Very good deal off him on bulk ammo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

demonloop wrote: »
    I'm interested to see both recommendations and negative comments to be honest. I don't want businesses dragged over the coals on a public forum, but I do want to be aware of negative comments also.

As I said in the OP, I want to build up a network of good dealers, that includes excluding the ones that, well, aren't.

I will be contacting all the dealers recommended in the next few weeks, to firstly offer them the chance to stock JSB pellets.

How you manage your business is your affair and the best of luck with your import/distribution activity. As for using good service as a recommendation for selling into dealer, I need only remind you of the dealer in the UK who, a few years ago constantly won all sorts of big awards for service. Litts. Remember what happened to them?

I've never dealt with Duffys, never even been into their shop. My point is that there are ways of expressing complaints and giving advice. Accuracy is one of them. If the accuracy is absent, the comment then should be perceived as crap. Johngalway said on the 17 Feb:
    Duffys is fine until something goes wrong and he tells ya to F.O.

It then transpires that the F word was not used, but it has yet to be retracted by jg. Similarly, another poster spoke badly about Duffys over something he was buying and later admitted that he had not ordered it. :rolleyes:

I have beneffited from recommendations here, but always look at some previous posts of those who give "advice" before I take any. Caveat emptor.

P.

just rang the fishing,shooting,archery store in limerick looking for some shotgun ammo but he is out of stock on all sizes GUN SHOP???
    THATS THE USUAL STORY WHEN YOU NEED SOMETHING FROM THEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

daveob007 wrote: »
    just rang the fishing,shooting,archery store in limerick looking for some shotgun ammo but he is out of stock on all sizes GUN SHOP???
    THATS THE USUAL STORY WHEN YOU NEED SOMETHING FROM THEM.

I'd nearly put money with ya that he told ya he would be getting them in in two weeks time??

No matter what i look for in there (.22 magnum,.223,.243,.270 ammo or cartridges and clays) the reply is always two weeks time!

Better off try Ray Sampson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DickieBowe

Have to say have always left happy from Neil McVeigh in Crescent Sports in Monkstown. A knowledgable, nice guy who won't rip you off. In the beginning it was alot of us deer shooters and hunters going there now it is target shooters as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Just6 phoned 4 gunshops in Cork, none of them have a cleaning kit, or even a rod for a .223:rolleyes:

patsat wrote: »
    I'd nearly put money with ya that he told ya he would be getting them in in two weeks time??

No matter what i look for in there (.22 magnum,.223,.243,.270 ammo or cartridges and clays) the reply is always two weeks time!

Better off try Ray Sampson!
    he said next week as they are ordered???
    who is ray samson by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Lazy Dog Shooting Shop

He is out in knocklong, opens monday, tuesday, thursday, fridays 6-9 in the evening.

On wednesdays he is closed because he is at his clay pigeon shooting ground. U may be intersted in that also!

I'll pm you his number if u want?

• Advertisement

patsat wrote: »
    Lazy Dog Shooting Shop

He is out in knocklong, opens monday, tuesday, thursday, fridays 6-9 in the evening.

On wednesdays he is closed because he is at his clay pigeon shooting ground. U may be intersted in that also!

I'll pm you his number if u want?
    just back from there,great prices on ammo and other stuff.
    got some shells,for a fiver per box and 150 clays for 15 euros.
    thanks

Advertisement