Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good gun shop

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

paul o halloran in drangan is sound and great to deal with

never dealt with stakelums in thurles (yet) but have phoned a few times over prices and other stuff and he was sound and helpful on the phone and would nearly chat all day with you, even one day when i rang over a moderator i was told they were busy and within 10 minutes he was on the phone to me, still waiting for my new license to come back to see can i buy the moderator:mad:

Jim Barry in newtown outside nenagh is bang on to deal with aswell and my father usually gets his stuff from him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

daveob007 wrote: »
    just back from there,great prices on ammo and other stuff.
    got some shells,for a fiver per box and 150 clays for 15 euros.
    thanks

Was up there last nite a picked up a ase Northstar Mod for 200e.

It was second hand but i no the man who traded it in and there was only 5 shots gone through it! Great Deal :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

was in with sean in stakelums today for the first time, great place he has, i thought he was a gent on the phone, i cudn get out of the place today, he wouldn't shut up, fair sound chap, i'd have no problem on blowing a few grand there:D has some lovely rifles and scopes there, hopefully once my license finally comes through and i get some monet together over the summer i'll be back again to trade in my rifle for something shiny and new:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

dicky82 wrote: »
    i went into tallaght rod n gun on three seperate occasions to buy some hunting clothing. each time i left my contact details and never heard anything back. didnt find them helpful at all and have not gone back since. oh and they still hav'nt contacted me. .
    Have to agree a compleat waste of time, Dave was a gent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

Tannyoky Guns, Poyntzpass

I can give my resounding recommendation for all of the above. I'
    have to disagree
    2 stories with them..you be the judge
    i went to them twice, first i spent around 600 euro and i asked for one part that i was looking for and they didnt had. they said "no problem, will order and when we get it WE GIVE YOU CALL", his words! his idea, they even took my details into the book and what i;m looking for!..ok 1 week..2 weeks..3..weeks..4 weeks.. passed, and this supposed to be next week. so i called to them, first nobody knew what i'm, talking about. when we got it..yeah they had it. so i asked why they didnt call me like it was promised as soonest they got it, no answer.."i dont know" heh.
    but i;m not trouble maker i went ther, bought the part and orderd other one. so order number:
    same story , took my details ... but this time i asked them can they send it to me..NO PROBLEM AT ALL! ..my address to magic book, "delivery should be next week so we call you for credit card details" ok..!and i said, call me this time for sure. OK! ok? hehe..so after 2 months..i called them.. again ..what? who? what i;m talking about. so i said thank you, and i went to other people.

they have good stock, and they are ok, in front.. but nothing else, they are amateurs..thats it.
    email? sent one i December..do you think i got answer ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭highduck

Have to agree with JohnGalway re Duffys.

Why?

I looked a quite at 2 quite expensive guns in there after dealing with them for a good few years. When I mentioned a trade in of another expensive gun that I had(not bought there) I was told it was a "**** gun!" and he wouldnt take it for nothing:eek:. directly after that statement he had the cheek to say to me "so will I put the new guns aside for you?".Did he think that I was a total ass?:mad:

Now if he any decent sales skills he wouldnt have insulted me about my trade in.(a gun which I sold privately for 2K)He would have said what the next gun dealer I went to said." I have 2 second hand guns of that model in stock and they are slow to move in the current climate"(Gerry Scully):)

I bought one of the guns that I would have bought in Duffys 24hrs later from (Gerry Scully) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

recived a bad attitude from brian duffy on a few occasions. never spend a cent there again, hugh was well able to tell a story, but not ignorant. james mcbride provided top service and a laugh too, didnt leave his shop angry, unlike duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Paul O'Halloran - Drangan. Very straight guy to deal with and absolutely no bullshyt about him. He answers his phone and rings you back unlike many others. Prices are good and he carries a good standard of rifles - some shops seem to have nothing but rusted crap on the shelves.

John Lambert - Camolin. One of the nicest blokes in the business. Evening opening hours are really handy. Good guns too and VERY good on his prices. His dog doesn't like me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Was in Duffy's 2 weeks ago and the guy told me that he knew where I could get an AYA No 2 for €600 and that he would get back to me.
    I'm not holding my breath !

Obviously not or I'd be dead by now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Would agree with you there on Mervyn,
    Contacted many dealers about getting a .223 rifle and looking for prices etc , they either didnt get back, would be waiting until next shipment 4-6 months:eek:or way over priced!

Contacted Mervyn and he had a list as long as my arm of suitable guns and suggested i call up. Man he has alot of stuff for rifle men.
    Ended up buying a Sako 85 with Mod, Bushnell elite 2.5 16x42 scope, Harris bipod, Case and buffulo river 6/7 gun cabinet. oh and ammo aswell. :cool:

There there you go Southern Irish Dealers a big sale lost over your incompetence!:mad::mad::mad:

He even rang the next day to say he has sorted out the import with a dealer 5 mins where i live.
    Couldn't recommend him enough!!:D:D:D:D

+1 on Mervyn. Good service and good prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

milkerman wrote: »
    Paul O'Halloran - Drangan. Very straight guy to deal with and absolutely no bullshyt about him. He answers his phone and rings you back unlike many others. Prices are good and he carries a good standard of rifles - some shops seem to have nothing but rusted crap on the shelves.

+ 1 for Paul O'Halloran, very honest person to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

milkerman wrote: »

+ 1 for Paul O'Halloran, very honest person to deal with!

Yeah, I've been dealing with Paul(and his father before him) for the last 30 years and he has never done me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnwayne2

read here about island sports in castlebar been over priced i think they are on par with web prices just got me remmy .223 today after waiting 6 .5 months for licence to come through and couldnt ask for more help than i got from john an absolute gent to deal with.nothing was a problem threw in a scatter of boxes of rounds mounted and bore sighted scope for me (which i got as a present and we both know it wasnt even bought there ,and strongly advised me against changing it for a diff model )v high in my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭highduck

johnwayne2 wrote: »
    read here about island sports in castlebar been over priced i think they are on par with web prices just got me remmy .223 today after waiting 6 .5 months for licence to come through and couldnt ask for more help than i got from john an absolute gent to deal with.nothing was a problem threw in a scatter of boxes of rounds mounted and bore sighted scope for me (which i got as a present and we both know it wasnt even bought there ,and strongly advised me against changing it for a diff model )v high in my opinion .
    Totally agree is John is a real gent.there is a deal in him too.and he gives a very fair trade in price on any trade in that was purchased from him.carries good gear too.let's you browse the gun room too with no pressure.I like him and his shop.

Highduck.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

highduck wrote: »
    Totally agree is John is a real gent.there is a deal in him too.and he gives a very fair trade in price on any trade in that was purchased from him.carries good gear too.let's you browse the gun room too with no pressure.I like him and his shop.

Highduck.

Take a look www.islandsports.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I was in Top Gun in Drogheda during the week good value on cci subs €12 per 100 also good price on scopes. First time there since it changed hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

anyone have dealt with Knocknagoshel shooting grounds re buying of shotguns,also can someone PM me stakelums number in Thurles,is it in the town?,looking for a 2nd hand beretta ultralite u/o,hard to come by

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Have to disagree with a lot of the negativity about Duffys. I have had considerable dealings with Brian & Hugh in my fishing/shooting exploits. As organiser of a number of events requireing prizes I have always shopped around and the deal Duffys give me is just unbeatable.
    As for aftermarket service when something goes wrong, I bought a second hand gun a few months ago and the hammer broke last week, Brian is covering the cost of the repair. Given the gun is seccond hand and approx 20 years old I was not expecting and did not feel that he had to do such a thing, but he insisted. Fair play i say.
    Yes I have and will purchase elsewhere when the mood takes me but I allways give Duffy a shout and give him a chance to better any bargin i see and I think he appriciates it.

Also I can recomend Eugune McCusker in Lifford

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭DJandDeid

Boiled-egg wrote: »

Also I can recomend Eugune McCusker in Lifford

+ 1 on Eugene McCusker. Good prices on cartridges and a good range in stock. If you want something he will get it for you. No cr@p, and good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 snakemanjohn

I am new to this sport and only got my licence last year.I live in Dublin the tallaght area.I went to the
    Tallaght shop people were talking about to get some .22lr ammo.To me it was very intimidating i got no help
    and was watched like a hawk.i got the ammo and got out very quick to me it was a big disappointment i thought
    when i joined my club.(which is a great club.) and great help were everyone helped me.that i would be able to go to my local
    gun store and have a chat with the owner and talk about being new to this sport.but NO i felt like i was intruding and it left me
    feeling like is this what its like in gun stores.so a bad start but i am not going to let that trow me off.
    I know now that their are lots of nice places about.but i will give it another try.maybe i caught them at a bad time.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You should go to crescent sports in monkstown, Neil is a gent and will be happy to give you advise etc.. I always end up talking to him for atleast an hour. Sound man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bprend

Pat White, Claremorris, Co. Mayo - 087 287 2415

I bought a rifle and all ammo since from him. Cheapest .22 ammo he has is CCI topshot for €4.20 (I think) Great range of rifles and rifle ammo. Also sells shotgun cartridges

• Registered Users Posts: 5 snakemanjohn

Thanks guys for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭KE_MAN

Cass wrote: »
    Sean Harding - Stakelums - Thurles
    Jim McBride - Ballykeeran - Athlone
    Sean O'Neill - Atlantic Sports - Carlow
    Neil - Lakelands - Mullingar
    John Butler - Griffin and Hawe - Athy
    Jim Griffin - Rahann - Tullamore
    Gerry Scully - Scully's - Athlone

I have used all the above over the years. Was going to mention a few in Dublin but 2 of them are closed and i haven't been to the 3rd in some years.

Found Griffin Hawe (Athy) very expensive for everything. Certainly would not recommend them on price for firearms or scopes !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For a start that post is nearly 4 years old.

However no argument. I've found them to be between 10 - 15% more expensive on a lot of items, but they have a decent selection of items/firearms. Nothing within 30 miles of them or more to the point with any where near the same selection.

Some other things have changed since that post too. For example Atlantic in Carlow. Would not recommend them. Poor selection of rifles, and also more expensive than most other shops for most items.

Poor old Gerry Scully is no longer with us, and Lakelands are right up there in the expensive range of shops.

The only two i'd stand by or visit now are Sean Harding in Stakelums and Jim Griffin in Tullamore. Also since that post i'd recommend Paul O'Halloran in Drangan. Good lad, nice selection, and keenly priced.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

island sports closed also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Seems that gun dealers in the RoI are as mixed a bunch as I've found anywhere else.

Many seem to have forgotten why they have a gun store, or any other kind of a store, at all.

The store I most frequent at home has a sign on the back wall - in the form of a large mirror. At the top are the words 'You are looking at the most important person in this store.'

Some folks need a reminder about that foundation fact.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I am new to this sport and only got my licence last year.I live in Dublin the tallaght area.I went to the
    Tallaght shop people were talking about to get some .22lr ammo.To me it was very intimidating i got no help
    and was watched like a hawk.i got the ammo and got out very quick to me it was a big disappointment i thought
    when i joined my club.(which is a great club.) and great help were everyone helped me.that i would be able to go to my local
    gun store and have a chat with the owner and talk about being new to this sport.but NO i felt like i was intruding and it left me
    feeling like is this what its like in gun stores.so a bad start but i am not going to let that trow me off.
    I know now that their are lots of nice places about.but i will give it another try.maybe i caught them at a bad time.?

Not a shop but when I joined my club I was a bit awkward because I knew nothing about shooting and everyone knew each other but a whiles on and I couldn't meet a nicer, friendlier bunch.

I find the shops the same. They get to know your face and its all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Since gerry scully passed there has been a gap in the town for a gun shop, Iwent into wild hunter in golden island a few times. they had a fair bit of kit decoys and some airsoft, the staff there, are of the type, that they are doing ya a favor letting ya walk around, very sour lot. no interest in serving ya. take it or leave it attitude
    It's strange Iwas in there 1 Saturday morning and the boss Brian conaughton was there. different story jesus they over and under lads.:rolleyes:
    there's not a whole lot of money around at the moment and ya need to be at least civil to your customers, I won't spend a penny in Wild Hunter. Wi It's been said Macbride is dear, he is, but at least he's friendly and he knows his stuff unlike the bluffers in the other place.
    Outdoor sports say they are going to carry ammo and firearms after Christmas, and the 2 lads are friendly

• Advertisement

james McBride is as sound as you get. very helpful

Advertisement