Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulmers Berry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

drinking a can of this as i read the comments...well hesitant to open at first as i read them.
    as a bulmers apple cider drinker for 6 years, i didnt like the pear but the berry cider is quite drinkable. i would be looking forward to a warm sunny day with a pint bottle and a pint glass full of ice sitting in a cider garden, not a beer garden, and enjoying one of these.
    seen them in dunnes on main street in cork city today, 2.25 each or 4 for 7 quid and picked them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

picked up a can of this in tesco maynooth earlier....

Just cracked it open.

In one word.. YUCK ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

i'd have kopperberg over bulmers any day...much nicer ciders although quite sweet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Got a free can of this of a bulmers rep to sample and thought it was ok, a bit like ribena.
    I didn't really embrace the pear and don't see myself embracing the berry on a regular basis either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 theglynny

Hi Guys,
    I was at the launch of this at the accadamy on Monday night and taste wise it's not too bad, no where near as sweet as Kopperberg, nor as strong at 4.5%. Just tastes like bulmers, but a little bit different really. The bad news is that they seem to have made the same mistake that they did with the pear one, no doubt some of you know what i'm on about.... a few hours into the launch party there was a certain stench of 'bad berries' popping up all over the place. Yes, it gives you terrible wind! I had to go home early because i felt really bloated and had a very bad dose of hic-ups. Lets just say the very first thing i did when i got home was RUN to the toilet..... Nuff said??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

didnt like the pear @ all, it was mankyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, but have to say very fond of the Berry, looks just like a pint of Blackcurrant in the pint glass, and wayyyyyyyyyyyy to eazy to drink, i'd say nice sunny warm day, pubs will run out of this stuff...... eazier to drink than original bulmers,

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rentacrowd

Ah yes, mid strength cider, for the drivers who just have to drink Bulmers product on a night out. It tasted alomst identical to Cidona, but 2% alc. Pointless. The market showed them!!
    The main reason it failed is cos they weren't allowed use the marketing catch phrase "Bulmers Mid-Strength - Five and Drive"

Got a can of the berry today in Tesco, tis rotten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Bulmers Berry is basically their apple cider with flavourings of 16 different berry varieties mixed in with it. Its not fantastic but its much more quaffable than that disgusting koppaberg mixed fruits cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Have some of this from promo stuff, as I generally wouldn't have bought it otherwise...

Must say that it ain't that bad, considering I despise Bulmers Original and don't like Pear (especially the newer recipe). I'd even considering buying a few more to have another time!

It's definitely a lot nicer to drink than Kopparberg Mixed Fruits which I always thought was like badly watered down Ribena!

edit: I had it out of a bottle, curious to see what it's like out of a can as most users on here seem to have hated it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kanedaly60

I had it the other week, thought it tasted like gone off calpol...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

kanedaly60 wrote: »

I think you have hit the nail on the head there. Tried it myself there last week it was bloody rotten!:mad: That description i am using if anyone asks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

stevexo wrote: »
    seen them in dunnes on main street in cork city today, 2.25 each or 4 for 7 quid and picked them up.
    Why on why is Bulmers so expensive? I actually like the cider, but just refuse to pay the mental price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Why on why is Bulmers so expensive? I actually like the cider, but just refuse to pay the mental price for it.
    You have to chip in a lot for their advertising, and duty was increased on cider a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

Yep, tasted it, liked it, but they have coppied all koppaberg flavours so far..but mixed fruit koppaberg 5.2%..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Why on why is Bulmers so expensive?
    Because people will pay that. If they didn't, it'd be cheaper. Notice the beginnings of price competition in Irish pubs after years of what was basically a cartel. Keep not buying Bulmers for what you regard as a stupid price and you're helping bring it down to something sane.

shuvly wrote: »
    Yep, tasted it, liked it, but they have coppied all koppaberg flavours so far..but mixed fruit koppaberg 5.2%..
    The Bulmers one is dry though, not anything like the same degree of sweetness of the Koppaberg or Rekorderlig versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

One pub in waterford city has stopped selling koppaberg mixed fruit and has replaced it with bulmers berry.

Bulmers berry is horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

kanedaly60 wrote: »
    I think you have hit the nail on the head there. Tried it myself there last week it was bloody rotten!:mad: That description i am using if anyone asks :P

How do you know this?

Me and a mate tried it the other night. I hated it, barely got it in to me, but he didn't mind it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭starburst87

this berry stuff is the job, cant wait for the summer to sit out in the garden drinking it, i've been drinking the original one for as long as i can remember but wouldn't touch it now, the pear is rotten and was never a fan of koppaberg...........disgusting, all they need now is to put in large bottles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Not a big fan of these drinks but tried it out. Thought the Koppaberg offering is nicer tbh.

i can't see this around in summer 2011
    It's mank..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 HumpM

Just finished a can of it I share people saying I'd drink one or two but I'd let it at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

toiletduck wrote: »
    Not a big fan of these drinks but tried it out. Thought the Koppaberg offering is nicer tbh.

Same.

I like Bulmer's apple cider, but I thought this tasted very watered down. It was like tasteless Ribena, but very fizzy!
    Couldn't taste alcohol in it, I'm yet to decide if that's a good or bad thing! :pac:

Same.

I like Bulmer's apple cider, but I thought this tasted very watered down. It was like tasteless Ribena, but very fizzy!
    Couldn't taste alcohol in it, I'm yet to decide if that's a good or bad thing! :pac:
    Its a good thing because its easier to knock back a few this way. If we get any decent kind of summer this stuff will take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

is it too late for it though? i mean there are plenty of other mixed berry drinks out there? bulmers are about 3 years too late imo.

they are probably hoping on the name and power of their brand to sell it though.

i haven't tried it as i'm not a great fan of mixed berry drinks or bulmers for that matter (complete piss), so i won't judge the berry one until i try some of someone's one day :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

rubadub wrote: »
    You have to chip in a lot for their advertising, and duty was increased on cider a few years back.

Has anyone SEEN the new ad? Killnascully meets Village Tales.....Brutal! :mad:

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    Its a good thing because its easier to knock back a few this way. If we get any decent kind of summer this stuff will take off.
    Its selling quite well so far, the good weather has helped. We ordered 15 cases of the stuff last week and had run out by Saturday night.

Advertisement