Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawns

Options
  • 17-02-2010 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've been putting off this project for a couple of years, but the birth of a duaghter who is now walking is giving me the push I need.

Basically i have an unusable front and back garden, Front south Facing, smaller and rear North facing and larger.

Anyway bith gardens are waterlogged 365 days of the year, totally unusable and at this stage driving me nuts.

SO I was wondering from those in the know, is my solution to dig out both gardens put down stone and re top with good quality top soil, seed and roll and hoprfully have usable lawns?

Would this be the right time of year for this type of work also.

Any advice is greatly appreciated by me and hopefully later in the year from an adventerous 13 month old. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Your little girl is unlikely to be playing in the front garden is she? so why not put down gravel and a few pots. In the back, it depends on why it is waterlogged. How high is the water table - if you dig a hole does it fill up with water. Are you in a dip, getting water from all around. Is it a top layer of clay with something more porous underneath? If you put in drainage is there anywhere for the water to go? Try and identify why it is boggy and it will be easier to come up with a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

looksee wrote: »
    Your little girl is unlikely to be playing in the front garden is she?

Yeah at times, supervised of course, were in a cul de sac and most kids play out front anyway.
    so why not put down gravel and a few pots.

Maybe as finish touches, but I want a lawn.
    In the back, it depends on why it is waterlogged. How high is the water table - if you dig a hole does it fill up with water. Are you in a dip, getting water from all around. Is it a top layer of clay with something more porous underneath? If you put in drainage is there anywhere for the water to go? Try and identify why it is boggy and it will be easier to come up with a solution.

The water table seems to be high here, water is always on surface, when walking on it. Any hole will be full of water in no time.

Were not in a dip, but we are surrounded by other houses, Semi D. Houses directly behind us are lower in fact.

I would call the layer of soil as builders rubbish leveled out and highly compacted.

A neighbour two doors up told me he got someone in to drill down through the top layers and he claims it is draining better. Haven't seen it so cant comment.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement