Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Chef in Galway City..

Options
  • 17-02-2010 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

For some time now I've day dreamed about becoming a Chef and have decided to make it a reality. I'm working in an office at the moment and feel like I don't belong here. Food is my passion and I'd consider myself to be a very good cook. I loev experimenting with food and have a natural flair for knowing what would go well with what etc..

I love nothing more then watching shows like Come Dine with me and spend hours looking at food websites. Anyway I digress. Seeing as I'm working I can't go study Culinary Arts in GMIT as I don't quality for dole or rent allowance.

I was wondering does anybody know of any Chef Schools or culinary courses I could do part time or in the evening in Galway City?
    I looked into the Ballymaloe course but it's almost 10 grand!! Hold jaysus I don't have close to that kind of money to spend but I really want to do this..

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

GMIT, Culinary Arts (degree) or Professional Cookery (Higher Cert) are your best bet.

Prof. Cookery students have a LOT more practical time and after 2 years will walk into more kitchens than a Culinary arts grad because of it.

Culinary arts degrees are only handy if you want to be a hotel chef, not if you actually want to learn how to cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cooknupastorm

Beetlebum wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

For some time now I've day dreamed about becoming a Chef and have decided to make it a reality. I'm working in an office at the moment and feel like I don't belong here. Food is my passion and I'd consider myself to be a very good cook. I loev experimenting with food and have a natural flair for knowing what would go well with what etc..

I love nothing more then watching shows like Come Dine with me and spend hours looking at food websites. Anyway I digress. Seeing as I'm working I can't go study Culinary Arts in GMIT as I don't quality for dole or rent allowance.

I was wondering does anybody know of any Chef Schools or culinary courses I could do part time or in the evening in Galway City?
    I looked into the Ballymaloe course but it's almost 10 grand!! Hold jaysus I don't have close to that kind of money to spend but I really want to do this..

Thanks

Hi Beetlebum,
    I couldn't help but sign up to boards.ie to answer your question!

Over 7 years ago I left school to become a chef and havn't looked back since. The best way to go ,as I have gone, is to attend an interview with failte Ireland previously known as C.E.R.T. (you will have to look this up as I trained in Limerick and you wish to go to Galway.) This is a 16week course and gives great insight into what is involved and expected of a chef. This is also good as you should get a weekly allowance to attend! You may not need this course to get into the I.T. in Galway but I did as I didn't have a leaving cert and needed to prove that I had an interest.

After this if you are still interested in continuing you will need to go for an interview with FETAC through the Galway-mayo institute of technology. Im sure this can be looked up online. This is the two year Level 6 certificate in professional cookery it is full time ,but, if you do not wish to be full time it is also available to attend on day release over a longer period of time!

Although the courses are fantastic and you get certified. At the end of the day its the experience that counts.
    Good luck in you new venture, hope the advice helps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 spids

yep gmit is the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TravellinMan

I saw your post and wanted to reply as well :). I'm a travelling chef from Canada working around the world. Here's a little tip about the industry.

Cheffing is not glamorous, is unbelievably hard work, stressful, harrowing, hard on the body, hard on the soul, and very ungrateful.

I WOULDN'T CHANGE INDUSTRIES FOR THE WORLD!

As much as that's true it's also rewarding, full of freedom, satisfying and an amazing job. As I said I'm travelling, France or Spain is next, what other job do you know that you can do this with?

Do the right thing though, go to school first, the 16 week course is fine. Spend time working from job to job, learning as much as you can about your craft. Also take time to actually LEARN about food, not just how to cook it. Some great authors are Harold McGee (On Food and Cooking), Michael Pollan (The Omnivores Dilemna, In Defense of Food), Anthony Bordain (Kitchen Confidential, A Cooks Tour), Jacques Pepin (Complete Technique).

Enjoy the rest of your life, I certainly am :)

Advertisement