Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 HDDs

• 17-02-2010 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Any of you experience a hard drive failure and have to go through the buying a new HDD and transfers kit malarkey? Do all the arcade games, gamer tags, and game saves transfer with that kit?

Is there anything that doesn't transfer that i should know about? The girl on the phone said the failed hard drive will transfer but they would say mass.... will a failed HDD acutally transfer its contents?

I first have to find a hard drive, taught it post this here in hope some of your might know some places where I would get one a little cheaper that average? And what GB would you recommend?

I've a pain in my ring with xbox breaking this is the last of it, any more and im switching allegiance!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can recover your gamer tag from Xbox Live. You don't need a transfer kit assuming the damaged drive will be able to transfer data. Then you can verify your arcade games so they will work on the new harddrive. The only thing you will lose are game save files everything else is held on Microsoft's servers.

Only legit MS harddrive will work so don't bother getting cheap ebay knockoffs as you will be wasting time and money. You might find them a bit cheaper than usual if you buy online, maybe Amazon or something.

If its 2 years old or less and you have proof, receipt or Xbox serial date then under EU law MS have to replace it or you can take them to the small claims. Its 3 years for a RROD failure which you can force on the system if you want to go down that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SIBERIA

Cheers good man. I was a bit in the dark about my DLC and arcade games, was afraid I was going to lose them all and have to buy again. And yeah I want all official stuff no cheap imitations had a look and Amazon some good deals alright.

Just thinking would a borrowed official xbox memory card (264*mb) work for the game saves? I don't mind having to do them one at a time. The less money i have to give microsoft the better!

The xbox i bought second hand from gamestop, the date was 2005 or 2006 on the back any ways it RROD about 8-9 months after purchase, luckily it was still in the 3 year warranty (by 19days) I sent it away and got one back with 2009 on the back. The HDD is from the 2005/2006 model though.

So don't think i have a case there.

She told me i have no warranty and i will have to buy a new hard drive. I tried to say ill just be better off with a PS3 (trying to get me a freebie) she told me that's my own decision :( she really can't do much shes in a call centre isn't she.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Depend on how bad the failed harddrive is you can use a memory card to port your save over. A transfer kit would also work if this is the case. Transfer kits are free with 120Gb HDDs or MS can send one out to for around €5 I think, could be around €10 I'm not sure. Someone here may have one to loan to you. I got one sent out for free before because I told them I had 2 360s, a Pro and Elite. I dont have the kit anymore though.

I used one before on what I though was a perfectly fine HDD but during the transfer it found corrupt data which it could not move but I got through Live anyway.

Advertisement