Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panasonic Lumix

• 17-02-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

OK, I've been wanting to upgrade my camera (I have a Lumix already, a TZ5 I think?)

Anyway, through lots of searching I found the FZ28 and FZ38.
    Now, I'm wondering which one to get...is the FZ38 a lot better? It's either €340 online (on Pixmania, not sure how reliable this site is??) or €389 in town.
    The FZ28 is €310 online. I havent been able to find it in a shop.

Both are 18x optical zoom, but the FZ38 has a better stabiliser and has HD video recording.

I guess firstly, anyone know how reliable Pixmania is (reason I'm loojing from there is because it accepts Laser cards)? Or am I better off buying from a shop. And secondly, is it worth the extra cost for the updated camera??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I've been using pixmania since 2003 or thereabouts without any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Put "pixmania problems" into Google and you'll find that quite a significant amount of people (both here and elsewhere) have had enormous problems with Pixmania. I wouldn't suggest using them personally and I don't find it fair that people compare the prices to theirs given their reputation.

If you can, buy off Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk. Check this out.

Best online retailer by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Thank you.

I don't really wanna buy off a site that doesn't have the best reputation, especially for something like a camera and a fair bit of money involved.

Thanks Rb, that one on Amazon is a really good deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

I have bought a few things from Pixmania in the past and i have never had any problems.
    Just a word of warning about Amazon when you buy from their site its not amazon directly Simply electronics and purely gadgets sell through Amazon and have a terrible track record.

i found out last year after i bought a sigma lense from amazon only to find that simply electronics were the sellers it took over three weeks for the order to arrive after a lot of emails in the meantime ! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I have bought a few things from Pixmania in the past and i have never had any problems.
    Just a word of warning about Amazon when you buy from their site its not amazon directly Simply electronics and purely gadgets sell through Amazon and have a terrible track record.

i found out last year after i bought a sigma lense from amazon only to find that simply electronics were the sellers it took over three weeks for the order to arrive after a lot of emails in the meantime ! :mad:
    Yeah well you've only yourself to blame for that because Amazon list who the seller is on the main page of the item under "Dispatched and sold by" directly under the ad.

You can click the seller and see their feedback like Ebay, or go to X new or X used and pick a different vendor if you're concerned about the main one.

Amazon > every other online retailer by a long shot.

• Advertisement

Luckily my dad is able to get it through the trade...so it's costing only €260 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Luckily my dad is able to get it through the trade...so it's costing only €260 :D

Good price! I bought the FZ28 a few months ago. As a long time Fujifilm user, I was a bit reluctant to jump ship. Most of the review sites rated the FZ28 as one of the best bridge cameras available and significantly better than the current Fujifilm models. I am very pleased with the camera. Image quality is excellent, Leica zoom lens is excellent and the HD movie mode is very good. The macro mode is the best I have ever seen. On a slightly racist note, the camera is made in Japan. I like my Japanese cars and cameras to actually be made in Japan, not China, UK etc...

Good Luck with your new camera.

Thanks!

Can't wait for it to arrive. Glad you find it good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Out of interest why are you changing?
    I have a FZ28 and thinking of 'down'grading to a TZ7 or something similar (Canon Powershot SX200IS etc). My reasons are for something similar but pocketable.
    I'd then sell my Canon S90 and upgrade to a DSLR....

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sometimes, less zoom and more aperture is the path to improved photo quality.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭dinneenp

cnocbui wrote: »
    Sometimes, less zoom and more aperture is the path to improved photo quality.
    :rolleyes:

I know and that was one of main reasons I bought the S90. But there's been a good few occasions where I've been out and wanted the longer zoom.
    Sure if I get a dslr as well that'll do for low light etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

For that money I'd have put a little extra on and went for a G-1.

Advertisement