Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Poll'

• 17-02-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

In the words of PrivateEye: VOTE FOR CAPSLOCK!

Rather than loads of different polls, this one is multiple choice. Vote once in each 'category' for the candidate of your choice. If you don't know yet, you can come back and vote once you've made your mind up :)

I can has vote? 277 votes

(prez) Gavin Brady
    0% 0 votes
    (prez) Tara Clarke
    2% 7 votes
    (prez) Karen Fox
    0% 1 vote
    (prez) Michelle O Leary
    0% 0 votes
    (prez) Aengus Ó Maoláin
    0% 0 votes
    (prez) Jason Whelan
    16% 47 votes
    (VP Welfare) James Boyle
    0% 2 votes
    (VP Welfare) Mark Duffy
    6% 18 votes
    (VP Welfare) Lydia Farrell
    1% 5 votes
    (VP Welfare) Liz Murray
    5% 16 votes
    (VP Welfare) Mary Quinn
    4% 12 votes
    (VP COMMS) Rob Munnelly
    0% 2 votes
    (VP COMMS) David Tuohy
    16% 46 votes
    (Finance) Damien Gorman
    2% 7 votes
    (Finance) Conor Hurly
    2% 8 votes
    (Finance) Declan Meenagh
    1% 4 votes
    (Ents) Barbara (Basia) Bekelska
    12% 35 votes
    (Ents) Catríona Hoban
    2% 7 votes
    (Ents) Louise Feaheny
    4% 12 votes
    (Ents) Pat Byrne
    6% 19 votes
    (Irish) Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin
    4% 12 votes
    (Irish) Naoise Ó Cearúil
    6% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I don't think it makes much difference who I vote or don't because I won't be here next year. But I'll be back for a masters the year after and I think if the elected candidates are kickass and actually do what they promise and actually deliver, then there'll be greater competition and greater ambition among the next lot of candidates.

In all fairness, some people clearly just do it for the laugh, or just think it'd look good on their CV, but if they feel that they have a reputation to live up to (and God help the following VP Comms if Rob gets it) then they might think twice before throwing up a Facebook page and getting elected cos they know a load of people, then just fecking around all year doing f-all.

So that's why I'm voting, even though I won't be here next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

You won't believe the awesomeness of The Print as a newspaper next year if I get it.

I'm not voting in this poll yet, I've yet to make my mind up. Leaning strongly toward Aengus for prez, esp after talking to him in O' Neills the other night. Otherwise, I'm not ready to commit. Cait is impressing me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Who clicked Tuohy? This is the guy who used ask my housemates to type up his essays for him and quite recently asked me how he could make all the fonts the same size on a word document and this is the guy who wants to be an editor?! MENTAL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I saw the Tuohy people out in force today. One person they approached asked them what he'd do if elected. They paused for a minute before giggling awkwardly and saying and I quote 'haha, just vote for him sure'

Rob, you've my vote needless to say :P

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Please vote Louise Feaheny for Ents :):):)

As a long-standing member of boards.ie :)

• Advertisement

Not being bad but I'm not gonna vote for ya just cause you're a member here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Sell yourself to us Louise :P I'm voting for Rob, will check out the candidates for Pres when I have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Not being bad but I'm not gonna vote for ya just cause you're a member here.

I'm really glad you said that- It was only after I posted the thread that I realised how it sounded! I don't expect you to vote for me based on that at all!

I'm going to have my manifesto up on my FB site hopefully before tomorrow so you can check that out and hopefully that might change your mind!

I know it sounds like I'm really slow getting around to putting up the manifesto etc but I'd just like to point out also that I am the only Ents candidate (AFAIK) that has a FB page, posters or a manifesto so far. I hadn't heard of any of the other candidates until yesterday, and I had been keeping an eye out for them, especially around the SU on some of the nights that were held there this week.

Yer one Cait has hers up for the last week or two I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Best of luck trying to get first years to vote!
    I'm not voting for ents anyway but good luck.

• Advertisement

I always find it hard to find my last post in a thread when K4t is online :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Honestly, I've never voted and I doubt I will this year either.

And that's mainly because a large portion of the voting will be based on who is Mr or Mrs popular over in the students union, part will be pure random and none of them have ever really appealed to me as a non-drinking commuter. I guess I'm not their target demographic though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 the_Meh_Girl

hi guys,
    I actually got three quotes on buses, I am intending on publishing them and the offer is to run it as a trail basis to start with and we'll see how it goes, one of the quotes received was even for three weeks free as a trail which unfortunately I can not yet take as I intended to run this as a trail starting with only Bar Exs the terms need to reviewed further but it is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Where's the option for "can't honestly be arsed to vote" ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Aengus (Pres)
    Rob (Comms)
    Declan (Finance)
    Louise (Ents)
    James (Welfare)

Irish Officer, hmm, not thought about it. And me a Gaelgoir. I'll probably vote Naoise. In fact, I will.

So, all the above plus a big YES for the Union of Students in Ireland, and I'm also going to vote yes on the three year matter (That we'll have another referendum on USI in three years. While I'm campaigning for a Yes, if the thing doesn't deliver we deserve the right to say so)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I told the other Comms candidate that I was a "Rob Man", Lazor Eyes!

hi guys,
    I actually got three quotes on buses, I am intending on publishing them and the offer is to run it as a trail basis to start with and we'll see how it goes, one of the quotes received was even for three weeks free as a trail which unfortunately I can not yet take as I intended to run this as a trail starting with only Bar Exs the terms need to reviewed further but it is possible.
    Trial.

Sounds like a good, sensible idea providing it doesn't cost too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Can someone explain Declan Meenagh's polling? Holding more Bar Ex's and making the SU carbon neutral don't strike me as matters which really fall under the Finance Officer's remit. :confused:

It's good to have a voice for that in the Union though, imo.

My 2c :D
    Honestly, I've never voted and I doubt I will this year either.

Long time no see! :D

irish_goat wrote: »
    Can someone explain Declan Meenagh's polling? Holding more Bar Ex's and making the SU carbon neutral don't strike me as matters which really fall under the Finance Officer's remit. :confused:
    He's obviously going to go above and beyond the call of duty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

I saw the Tuohy people out in force today. One person they approached asked them what he'd do if elected. They paused for a minute before giggling awkwardly and saying and I quote 'haha, just vote for him sure'

Rob, you've my vote needless to say :P

Im a Rob man myself, but to be fair, in the interest of openness i feel i should point out that its Robs Girlfriend (Who is actually a real person) who's saying this. Hardly Neutral.

Edit: Totally, 100% wrong. My bad.

Wrong Michelle Oisin.

:D

K4t wrote: »
    He's obviously going to go above and beyond the call of duty!

SU Elections are largely to do with knowing lots of people, especially on a poll like this. Also, Declan's a Boardsie , this a poll of Boardsys

banquo wrote: »

Wrong Michelle Oisin.

:D

I just realised this, my bad.

Nision wrote: »
    SU Elections are largely to do with knowing lots of people, especially on a poll like this. Also, Declan's a Boardsie , this a poll of Boardsys

Oisin's right in this respect. I'm a boardsie, so even if I were promising to make every single student come to my office so I could punch them in the face I'd probably be top of the poll. It's the non-boardsies about whom the poll is way more accurate.

Still, it all comes down to how many vote on the day. The general rule is that you aim for 600 votes on the first count if you want to win.

Nision wrote: »
    I know, It was just a quip in relation to IrishGoat's point about his manifesto giving the impression that he's running for ents and not finance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

irish_goat wrote: »

Who cares! More booze! HUUZAH!

;;<_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Red_Niamh

banquo wrote: »
    even if I were promising to make every single student come to my office so I could punch them in the face

If you get elected...there may be days that you feel like doing that.. ;)

This will be the 5th group of sabbaticals I will have the pleasure to work with and would you believe it, today is the first hustings I've been to. I was really impressed with the candidates. It's such a bittersweet time, really exciting to see who succeeds, but remember the outgoing group still have half their term in office to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Very impressed withe the votes for Aengus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Holda

As for the Tuohy thing. I can't believe his own people don't know what he stands for, it makes me wonder if he's all that sure of it himself. Reminds me of a slightly younger version of him that was certain that typing jstor beside a quote was good enough and thought anyone who told him otherwise mad. Thankfully he's not bad now, but by the sounds of his unprepared campaigners, he's not much better! :-P

Advertisement