Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

German left on lift at end of day

• 17-02-2010 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

I think we all secretly fear being stuck on the lift at the end of the day. Well it happened for this guy:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8520286.stm
    A German snowboarder stranded in the Austrian Alps for six hours has been rescued after attracting attention by setting fire to his cash.

Hmmm think i'll be bringing extra cash with me in future ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Did he not have his phone! Jazus.. if this is a lesson to everyone. Bring your bleedin phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

They also run alarms when they are shutting down the lifts. Man Ive been stuck up there for 20 minutes or less once or twice and its a cold cold cold place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

kmick wrote: »
    They also run alarms when they are shutting down the lifts. Man Ive been stuck up there for 20 minutes or less once or twice and its a cold cold cold place to be.

+1 here.

When there is wind blowing and the lift is stopped (due to people falling
    at the exit) it gets very cold very quickly!

Where were his friends??? Did they not notice that he was missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Shiny wrote: »
    +1 here.

When there is wind blowing and the lift is stopped (due to people falling
    at the exit) it gets very cold very quickly!

Where were his friends??? Did they not notice that he was missing?

Lesson no 2 - dont ski alone!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think it's pretty standard for them to leave the lifts running for a full circuit after they close it. So he more than likely got on well after the lift was closed and in the wrong direction, the lads at the top station are at fault slightly for not spotting him getting on but from what it says in that article most of the blame les with the bloke himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

olaola wrote: »
    Did he not have his phone! Jazus.. if this is a lesson to everyone. Bring your bleedin phone!

You get signal when you're boarding? :eek:

I've ****ed up two phones that I'd forgotten to leave behind when boarding. :mad:

Bring a watch and know the lift times might be better advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Tristram wrote: »
    You get signal when you're boarding? :eek:

I've ****ed up two phones that I'd forgotten to leave behind when boarding. :mad:

Bring a watch and know the lift times might be better advice :)

I've never LOST signal while on the mountain. IMO it's dangerous to go without your phone on the piste. I bring an old crappy phone with me for use on the slopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

olaola wrote: »
    I've never LOST signal while on the mountain. IMO it's dangerous to go without your phone on the piste. I bring an old crappy phone with me for use on the slopes.

Also never lose signal whislt skiing.

Yes I lose signal going up a medium size hill in Meath, but never whilst skiing on 3000m mountians in Europe. Go figure

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The phone signal all depends on how big a resort it is and how many people they get there per day. The more people and the bigger the resort the more worthwhile it is for the phone networks to stick a transmitter up there. I've een on a good few mountains where there was never any signal apart from in the base area.

I'd still have my phone on me though, if for nothing else than to let the other people know which bar we ended up in at the end of the day when we never make if back to the accommodation first when coming off the slopes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement