Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a good deal?

• 17-02-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of getting a Canon EOS 450D on EBay. Came highly recommended from my boss who knows his stuff, and I remember there was a bargain alert here when Dixons where selling it for around €600. So the following looks like a good deal.

Works out at about €615 and comes with a gansai load of accessories.

Any thoughts or alternate recomendations much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

NothingMan wrote: »
    Hi,

Thinking of getting a Canon EOS 450D on EBay. Came highly recommended from my boss who knows his stuff, and I remember there was a bargain alert here when Dixons where selling it for around €600. So the following looks like a good deal.

Works out at about €615 and comes with a gansai load of accessories.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Accessories aren't worth that much. As for the 3 lenses, that's total BS, it comes with one lens and 2 crap converters that you don't want to put anywhere near your camera.

Hold on. It's only €600 in conns cameras, that's an expensive bricks and mortar store and it's cheaper than on ebay. Dont buy it on ebay when you can get it here for less. All the other crap he's giving you with it you can get yourself if you really want it, but they are all just cheap, useless products you don't need. The flash for example, it won't be as good as the on camera flash already on the 450D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Effects wrote: »
    Hold on. It's only €600 in conns cameras, that's an expensive bricks and mortar store and it's cheaper than on ebay. Dont buy it on ebay when you can get it here for less. All the other crap he's giving you with it you can get yourself if you really want it, but they are all just cheap, useless products you don't need.

Thanks, That looks excellent. The main accessory I wanted was the case, and I think the half day training course is worth way more than the bits of bobs from Ebay. My boss did the course when he got his and said it was very handy for learning all the features of the camera.

EDIT: Just looked closed. €599 is the body only. It's €699 with the 18-55 lens. That's jumping up quite a bit.

I haven't done any of those courses so couldn't comment. Go to Gunns on wexford street, they will give you all the advice you need and you can try out any of their camera bags. Adverts.ie is good for picking up second hand camera bags in great condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Here's a good deal here

http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-CANON-EOS-REBEL-XSI-450D-DSLR-CAMERA-KIT-4GB-SDHC_W0QQitemZ300396314943QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN?hash=item45f104013f

the reason why the price is so low is because the camera is refurbished. I was going to buy a 500d of this crowd last week think it was around 550 including P&P but then i seen an ad for a 40d on adverts and agreed to buy that instead then the lovely fella who agreed the sale with me let me down at the very last minute(what a nice chap). That shop have since raised their price for the 500d to 720(don't know what thats all about) so looks like i'll be getting the 450d off them, still at least i'll have a few extra bob in my pocket to buy a 50mm perhaps.

On the subject of refurbishment, it seems as though the camera is basically brand new but may not be in it's original box(yet still have all the accesories manuals etc.) or might have some very slight cosmetic damage. I bought a refurbished point and shoot camera for my girlfriend a few years back off ebay and it was fine, no problems at all.

edit: oh and i wouldn't bother paying extra for all those cheap accessories either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'd be very careful of both of those ebay offers, I'd be pretty sure both are grey imports and would carry no Canon warranty, you'd want to be careful to get confirmation before you buy.

What do you mean by grey import?

the reason why the price is so low is because the camera is refurbished.

It states in big letters on the page that the camera is BRAND NEW!

Why do yo think it's refurbished? If it is new with warranty, it is an excellent deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

What do you mean by grey import?

I emailed that seller and it is imported from the US. The seller offers a 90 day warranty, but they can provide a retail invoice but you most likely won't get warranty from Canon in Europe.

Great price, but i'd rather the security of having proper warranty.

• Advertisement

It states in big letters on the page that the camera is BRAND NEW!

Why do yo think it's refurbished? If it is new with warranty, it is an excellent deal.

You're right, i had a look and it seems to be the 500d which is refurbished, can't believe they've put up the price of the 500d since a few days back. Anyway the price of the 450d and card is very tempting certainly the cheapest i've found, the seller seems to have a good reputation too.

I emailed that seller and it is imported from the US. The seller offers a 90 day warranty, but they can provide a retail invoice but you most likely won't get warranty from Canon in Europe.

Great price, but i'd rather the security of having proper warranty.

True its all about compromise i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Canon body warranties don't extend worldwide, so if you had an issue with it you'd have to send it back to the country you bought it from to be serviced.

Their warranties on lenses however, depending on the source, do carry worldwide.

True its all about compromise i guess.

True, very tempted. It's €200 cheaper than bricks and mortar and €130 cheaper than that other ebay seller.

I asked a few more questions regarding the power supply provided and if they can provide a serial number to check before purchase.

Also emailed Canon regarding international warranty, but I expect Rb is on the money. I work for a Japanese electronic company and we only offer pan european warranty.

So have you heard anything back off them nothingman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

hey folks i bought a 1000d , refurbished, off e-bay with the exact same kit offered in the OP's ad, i find it a great kit, bar 2 things, the tripod is flimsey its still useable though, it wont fall over its just very light, and i bought a lowepro micra trekker 100 bag (amazon for €30, which i got for free cos i got vouchers for completing surveys online :P) shortly after buying the camera as the bag that came was basiclly ...well a man bag, lol, it had no protection in it so i wanted one that if it was dropped you'd not be too bothered.

as for all the other kit that comes i find it all very usefull, the lense's / extenders are very handy, if like me you dont have an awfull lot of cash to spend they do actully work fairly well and the 2x mag gets you in a good bit closer than the standard kit, the uv filter is always on my 55m and the memory card that comes is great (ive since bought another one), the second battery that comes last every bit as long as the origional too.

anyway mine only cost me €430 (or similar can't remember exact after postage) and no it isnt a grey one, they do sell the gray ones too but they are listed as gray and sure even if a grey one did come you simply send it back. I'd reccomend them kits to anyone done me the world of good over the last few months and loving every minute of my camera so far.

ooh and P.S. you will need a plug converter cause the charger is the american 2 prong type plug, well it did come out of america origionally (english based seller so no duty ect as it was sent from a uk warehouse) so i guess it was to be expected, and mine came with a 12month canon europe warranty card too.

So have you heard anything back off them nothingman?

I haven't heard anything back from Canon regarding international warranty.

The seller just said they do not know about Canon warranty, which I assume means it has none. They do include a converter for the American plug though, which is nice.

Getting quite tempted by it now.

Cool, yeah i'll take the plunge if you will, lol. I still can't believe they put the price for the 500d from around 550 to 720.

Cool, yeah i'll take the plunge if you will, lol. I still can't believe they put the price for the 500d from around 550 to 720.

To let you know. I did take the plunge. Got my refurbished 450d on Monday. It's flawless, perfect condition and it arrived in 4 working days. Now I just have to learn how to use it properly.

Advertisement