Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting - Formatting Problem

Options
  • 17-02-2010 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭

I guess I've enabled/disabled something accidentally, but when I compose a new post, the formatting options (bold, italics, etc.) aren't available to me, the smilies aren't clickable and even the paragraphs are run together (< p > and < / p > surround the text).
    BB code is On ... Smilies are On ... code is On ... HTML code is Off I don't know the technical term for it but the description of the formatting appears in the preview window, rather than the formatting itself Any idea why folks?  Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

That's odd. Try this and see if it works:

Click here for your User CP Options. Way down at the bottom of the page, you'll see a heading titled "Message Editor Interface". If it says "basic editor - a simple text box" in the dropdown menu, change it to "standard editor - extra formatting controls" (or the full wysiwyg editor if you're feeling extra adventurous). Click "save changes" and see if it's all fixed.

Now, having said that, if you're inserting the formatting markup yourself, vbulletin uses BBcode rather than HTML so rather than typing [noparse]<b> and </b>[/noparse] for example, you'd type [noparse] and [/noparse] instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Thanks for trying, but no joy I'm afraid. When I went to my CP the Message Editor Interface was set to "Enhanced Interface", I changed it to "Standard Editor" but no luck. I'm definitely not inserting any formatting mark-ups myself.

It's as if the darker grey area around the text window is disabled ... I can see the icons for the smilies and the formatting but when I put my mouse to them and click absolutely nothing happens.

Wait a minute, I just hit "Preview Post" and at least the paragraphs are working (without the < p > around the text in the text window) but the smilies and formatting still seem to be disabled.

Thanks anyway

Wait again! The "Post Icons" work! But the smilies and formats don't ...???

Hmmm, screams possible javascript problem to me then but that's a bit beyond the help from here. I'd check that js is working though if you can do that.

Personally I never use the mouse to add smilies, I always add them by hand ([noparse] :) and :D[/noparse] for :) and:D) but that's not a solution to your problem.

Try doing a hard reset of your cache though to see if that helps. Hold down ctrl and hit F5.

Thanks very much for your help Sceptre. I think you're right about it being a Javascript problem, I'm getting odd messages from time to time.

I'm happy enough just to have the paragraphs working and I've already taken your advice about typing the smilies. I can live without the formatting.

Thanks again :)

Ah, sort of sorted so:) Happy to help, at least you know what the problem almost certainly is.

Overhead has written an excellent guide to formatting text manually here which is well worth a looksee for you I think - it'll give you full functionality if you're willing to do the markup by hand.

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote: »
    Ah, sort of sorted so:) Happy to help, at least you know what the problem almost certainly is.

Overhead has written an excellent guide to formatting text manually here which is well worth a looksee for you I think - it'll give you full functionality if you're willing to do the markup by hand.

:rolleyes:
    :)
    ;)
    :p

Thanks again :)

Advertisement