Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing halogen downlighters

Options
  • 17-02-2010 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

When we built our single storey house 5 years ago we had 26 50Wrecessed GU10 halogen fixtures installed in the living areas and kitchen.
    They have a hole in the attic insulation above them so they don't get too hot and burn out too fast.
    Of course, it isn't only the lamps' heat that warms the attic, but the hot air from the house escapes up there too.
    What are my options to replace them? They take a 50mm long bulb, not the 76mm versions.
    I have already put CFLs and LEDs in the bedrooms and bathrooms but they are too dim for the public areas.
    Thanks.
    PS I am thinking I may need to replace the fixtures as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Their is plenty of options now. You could go with some 11w cfl's, or philips led's where recommend on here lately that they are quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

But the Philips Master LEDs are 80.5mm long and won't fit in my housings. The higher wattage CFLs also seem to be too long.
    I'd like something at 50mm in length.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

JonMac wrote: »
    PS I am thinking I may need to replace the fixtures as well.

But i thought you were going to change the fittings?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055826623

the post above by lumaxx has smaller power LED lamps on it, the post looks a little spammy and i have no knowledge of the quality of these lamps either way, but they are smaller than the philips units and use a cree led circuit

Advertisement