Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel arch rolling in Dublin

• 17-02-2010 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Okay, so after driving around Dublin the other day with a full car (BMW e46 coupe), and hearing my wheels rubbing in the arches around every bend, every time I put the foot to the floor, it's time to get this sorted.
    I've got 18" M3 alloys on my e46, and it's grand until I've got a lot of weight in the boot, or 2 in the back. Of course one solution is new alloys, but screw that - I like these ones! The front tyres are 8" wide, the rear 9" - and it's only in the rear that it rubs, so I'm guessing the arches need to be flared out more so than anything to make them fit (like an M3).
    Does anybody know somewhere in Dublin that will roll out the arches in my 325ci? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how about stiffer suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

i'd of thought most panel beaters would so it...fair simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I would actually like to hear from an experienced panel beater or whatever exactly what this entails - may need it done myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

1922 wrote: »
    i'd of thought most panel beaters would so it...fair simple

Not really, proper rolling involves removal of the panels and respraying. Not to mention changing the plastic inner arch liners.
    I reckon upgrading the suspensions would be simpler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

To be honest it's an m-sport suspension on 18" tyres, making it any stiffer isn't going to be very practical :(

If getting them properly flared/rolled is a big job I'll just put up with it, it's literally once in a blue moon i have people in the back anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I still want to know how it's done to accommodate big wheels / tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dizzydave10

Why do u need bigger wheels your only gonna put more strain on your gearbox
    I know a panel beater in ranelagh http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64528718&postcount=15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I know a panel beater in ranelagh http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64528718&postcount=15
    Enough. Banned for a week for spamming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Myth.

kazul wrote: »
    Not really, proper rolling involves removal of the panels and respraying. .

Not true, proper arch rolling is done with an arch rolling tool and its done on the car by bolting the tool to the cars hub it can be done without respraying if the person doing it is familiar with doing it, nobody is going to cut off a rear 1/4 panel to roll a wheel arch:rolleyes:, the going rate for rolling an arch is between 80 and 130 euro an arch.

9108.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Not true, proper arch rolling is done with an arch rolling tool and its done on the car by bolting the tool to the cars hub it can be done without respraying if the person doing it is familiar with doing it, nobody is going to cut off a rear 1/4 panel to roll a wheel arch:rolleyes:, the going rate for rolling an arch is between 80 and 130 euro an arch.

9108.jpg
    Would that be visible from outside afterwards, or is only the inner metal affected?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Would that be visible from outside afterwards, or is only the inner metal affected?

It can be done either way. The most common way is to just roll the little lip inside the arch to give a bit of clearance for tyres and the other way flares/pulls the arch which is harder to do but gives (imo) a nicer effect as in the pic(the car in the pic has arch extensions for much wider wheels but the same effect can be got with rolling) tata1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

gofaster_s13 - legend! Thanks for the pics, glad to hear it can be done without respray as i had hoped. Do you know anybody who can do this, even if it is outside of Dublin?
    Thanks!

Don't know of anyone in Dublin doing it, Probodyworx in Urlingford do it and do a good job 087 9471545

If you need someone closer try asking some of the tuning shops like Trackdayperformance, Coutre autos or the Tuning factory and they should be able to put you in contact with someone in Dublin.

cianclarke wrote: »
    gofaster_s13 - legend! Thanks for the pics, glad to hear it can be done without respray as i had hoped. Do you know anybody who can do this, even if it is outside of Dublin?
    Thanks!

The first thing you will be told when getting it done is that the paint might be damaged but its a risk you have to take when getting it done.

Advertisement