Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem Ripping CDs to WAV

• 17-02-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have roughly 40K songs (all ripped from cd) in MP3. I am now going through the process of ripping them all again in WAV format. This is so I can keep high quaility while streaming.

The problem is, I have Winamp, WMP and Itunes.

Winamp and WMP sort the files in this format Artist/Album/Track Number and Title. This means when I play the track, it just has a title, not the artist and album etc.

With Itunes, I cant seem to find any way of ripping in WAV format, or changing the bit rate. Also, I am not certain this wont rip the same way.

All these tracks will be going into a broadcasting programme that will display all the information on my website such as the last 10 songs played with album and artist names. This in turn allows links direct to Amazon.

So rather than spending the next 5 weeks ripping them wrong, is there something I can do to correct this or is there another programme I can use to rip.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think you should look into FLAC. It is lossless (i.e. exactly the same quality as the wav version) and supports tagging (like MP3's). It also results in significantly smaller file size than .wav.

That sounds like a mammoth task. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Any chance you could rip to FLAC, or does it have to be WAV? Because organising/editting the tags are much simpler in FLAC, as well as easy to rip (using foobar2000).

Just a thought.

EDIT: Hehe, just too slow this time. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Thanks for the replys.

I have tried Foobar 2000 and im getting the same dealio. I did forget to mention that I formatted the external hard drive they are going onto today. Would that make a difference or is there anything else Im messing up?

I have tried to rip 6 cds and as of yet, none of the info has come up. I have put all the info in manually (Im not overly concerned as the majority of the music id listen to would be on independant labels, not well known or just really old). When I ripped it, though, same result. No artist in the artist section, and no album in the album section.

Again, thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

LeBash wrote: »
    mention that I formatted the external hard drive they are going onto today. Would that make a difference or is there anything else Im messing up?

Wouldn't affect it at all.
    LeBash wrote: »
    I have tried to rip 6 cds and as of yet, none of the info has come up.

In foobar2000? I don't quite understand what you mean by "none of the info has come up". You will need to query a cddb to get the artist / album information for the cd.

This screen is probably what you're looking for.

Are you ripping to FLAC now though, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

i find cdex very good for ripping cd's, if artists aren't in the cd databases you will need to manually tag

will also do flac http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/cdextip.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement