Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Updated offer]Boards.ie exclusive limited offer: switch to UPC and get a €50 voucher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Thanks Pet

If you are still a student, did you know that you can sign up again this year and get 4 months free again next summer?

Regards

Jason
    Pet wrote: »
    Pretty happy with mine tbh. 4 months free internet, €50 voucher, free installation, great internet, customer service has been fairly decent .....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mattol58

Is there any deals for just getting UPC Fibre Power Broadband 20mb without TV or Telephone add-ons?

Hi there

Yes, order it here www.upc.ie/boardsoffer and you will get it installed free and you will get a €50 voucher too

Enjoy

Regards

Jason
    mattol58 wrote: »
    Is there any deals for just getting UPC Fibre Power Broadband 20mb without TV or Telephone add-ons?

If you want to order new products from us and get a voucher for €50 through this boards offer, (and free activation of product) just click through this link http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/ (Please see the terms & conditions)

- For all customer service queries, please contact 1908.

**I am not authorised to comment in general threads without approval***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Hi Jason, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions since I only ever get automated responses promising a reply any time I send UPC an email.
      I'm looking at the TV, Broadband & Phone bundle on the site and it clearly says
    "Upgrade your speed to 100mb - €5.00 extra a month", and you can tick the box and it adds it to the cart.
    Now in the conditions it says,
    "Double your speed for €5 extra a month refers to increasing your broadband speed from 25Mb to 50Mb. To increase your speed from 50Mb to 100Mb is an additional €10 a month."

Is this some kind of shifty hidden charging?

[*]Finally, the 500GB limit - is this upload and download? So say if I download 250GB and upload 250GB, I've reached my limit... by the way, this is bytes (B) and not bits, right?

Hi Monotype

I can confirm that we have just reduced our 100mb broadband pricing, so now you can increase your speed from 50mb to 100mb for €5 extra (last week it would cost you €10) - thanks for spotting that error on our website, I will have that corrected straight away.

THe 500GB (gigabyte) Acceptable Usage Policy limit is calculated by download and upload. http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/

Hope that helps

Regards

Jason

Monotype wrote: »
    Hi Jason, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions since I only ever get automated responses promising a reply any time I send UPC an email.

• I'm looking at the TV, Broadband & Phone bundle on the site and it clearly says
      "Upgrade your speed to 100mb - €5.00 extra a month", and you can tick the box and it adds it to the cart.
      Now in the conditions it says,
      "Double your speed for €5 extra a month refers to increasing your broadband speed from 25Mb to 50Mb. To increase your speed from 50Mb to 100Mb is an additional €10 a month."
      Is this some kind of shifty hidden charging?

• Finally, the 500GB limit - is this upload and download? So say if I download 250GB and upload 250GB, I've reached my limit... by the way, this is bytes (B) and not bits, right?

If you want to order new products from us and get a voucher for €50 through this boards offer, (and free activation of product) just click through this link http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/ (Please see the terms & conditions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

What is the benefit of the UPC/Boards deal of a €50 voucher over the UPC/PC World/Currys/DID/Carphone Warehouse deal of a €250 voucher?

Also how much will installation be if there has never been UPC in the house before?

Thanks
    Daniel

Hi dkane

Good question.

2 Different offers with very different benefits, and both are popular.

The boards offer www.upc.ie/boardsoffer gives you free activation of all boxes installed and a €50 voucher, whereby the retail offer www.upc.ie/retailoffer means you pay for all activation fee's (These can be €40 per box if we install for you) but you get either a €125 voucher or a €250 voucher depending on the order.

Also, in a retail partner you must order a new bundle, whereas on boards you can order 1 new product and get an offer

Hope that clarifies it for you

Regards

Jason
    dkane wrote: »
    What is the benefit of the UPC/Boards deal of a €50 voucher over the UPC/PC World/Currys/DID/Carphone Warehouse deal of a €250 voucher?

Also how much will installation be if there has never been UPC in the house before?

Thanks
    Daniel

Thanks for the quick response Jason.
    I am looking to get Fibre Power Essential.

So if I went with the boards offer installation would be free and I get a €50 voucher.
    If I go with the retail offer Installation would be €40 and I get a €250 voucher?

There has never been UPC installed at the house before so I think I need an engineer out to install it. Is €40 the maximum install price and does it cover installing both the set top box and the broadband modem or does this count as two boxes?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Hi Daniel

If we install your bundle and you order it in a retail partner then you will pay us €40 for your TV box, €40 for your broadband modem, and if you require a cordless phone a further €15 for that.

If you do not need a phone handset then the total you will be billed on your first bill for activation fee's for the Fibre Essential bundle will be €80.

If you choose to install these boxes yourself, you pay us just €40. If you have a UPC cable box on the wall in your main roon then you should be able to self install. (if not then we will have to do the installation)

Completely up to you.

Regards

Jason

Thanks for the quick response Jason.
    I am looking to get Fibre Power Essential.

So if I went with the boards offer installation would be free and I get a €50 voucher.
    If I go with the retail offer Installation would be €40 and I get a €250 voucher?

There has never been UPC installed at the house before so I think I need an engineer out to install it. Is €40 the maximum install price and does it cover installing both the set top box and the broadband modem or does this count as two boxes?

Thanks,
    Daniel

• Advertisement

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure I have this right.

There is no UPC box in the house so I need an engineer to run the cable in and put the box on the wall.

Once that is in place I am happy to install the set-top box, modem and phone myself and I am happy for all three to be in the same room. I don't currently have a landline phone so I need a handset.

Will the installation cost be...
    €40 for putting the UPC box on the wall in one room?
    €40 for putting the UPC box on the wall plus €15 for a phone?
    €95 for installing the set-top box, modem and phone all in one room?

Thanks,
    Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

I had ordered 50mb broadband last Wednesday. Was speaking to someone on the phone and asked if there were any student offers out, and was told there weren't, so I went ahead with the standard 12 month contract as I wasn't given any other option. Only had it installed today. Is there anything that can be done to move to the student offer?

No worries at all. Based on this, it will cost you €95 in total (including supplying you the phone) - Installed by us as we will be there to cable

- Assuming we can supply you service already at your home

Regards

Jason
    Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure I have this right.

There is no UPC box in the house so I need an engineer to run the cable in and put the box on the wall.

Once that is in place I am happy to install the set-top box, modem and phone myself and I am happy for all three to be in the same room. I don't currently have a landline phone so I need a handset.

Will the installation cost be...
    €40 for putting the UPC box on the wall in one room?
    €40 for putting the UPC box on the wall plus €15 for a phone?
    €95 for installing the set-top box, modem and phone all in one room?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Hi ned

The student offer was only launched last week. We may be able to switch you depending on the status of your order. To try progress, please call 1908

Thanks

Jason
    ned14 wrote: »
    I had ordered 50mb broadband last Wednesday. Was speaking to someone on the phone and asked if there were any student offers out, and was told there weren't, so I went ahead with the standard 12 month contract as I wasn't given any other option. Only had it installed today. Is there anything that can be done to move to the student offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Hi Jason,

I sent you aPM over an outstanding billing issue I am having regarding the Boards.ie Student offer. I have to yet to get my 3 months free.

I would be grateful if you could reply.

Thanks

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    No worries at all. Based on this, it will cost you €95 in total (including supplying you the phone) - Installed by us as we will be there to cable

- Assuming we can supply you service already at your home

Regards

Jason

Thanks Jason,
    Last question, I promise :)
    So with the retail offer installation would be €95 and I would get a €250 voucher.
    With the boards offer installation would be free (would I still be charged for the phone?) and I get a €50 voucher?

Thanks,
    Daniel

• Advertisement

Hi Kingkong

I have escalated this and await a reply. If you want a response tomorrow first thing then please call 1908 and go to the billing team, and they can deal with you directly

Thanks

Jason
    Kingkong wrote: »
    Hi Jason,

I sent you aPM over an outstanding billing issue I am having regarding the Boards.ie Student offer. I have to yet to get my 3 months free.

Thanks

Hi dkane

Yes on the retail offer (except the installation will be €80 Plus €15 for the phone = €95) and the boards offer description is also correct.

Thanks

Jason
    Thanks Jason,
    Last question, I promise :)
    So with the retail offer installation would be €95 and I would get a €250 voucher.
    With the boards offer installation would be free (would I still be charged for the phone?) and I get a €50 voucher?

Thanks,
    Daniel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Thanks Pet

If you are still a student, did you know that you can sign up again this year and get 4 months free again next summer?

Regards

Jason
    Ooh, really? I got a callback after filling out the online form, and was told I'd have to cancel my current service (I'm out of contract now) and wait a month before I could sign up again. I'd be quite happy to sign into another year's contract if I didn't have to go without internet for a month...

Pet

Even better, if you do nothing, your service will continue as is. If you would like to add phone we can arrange that for you www.upc.ie/boardsoffer

Regards

Jason
    Pet wrote: »
    Ooh, really? I got a callback after filling out the online form, and was told I'd have to cancel my current service (I'm out of contract now) and wait a month before I could sign up again. I'd be quite happy to sign into another year's contract if I didn't have to go without internet for a month...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Yeah but can I get the student offer of 4 months free if I sign up to a new contract? And in that case, do I have to cease services for a month?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 littlemick

Am I forced to pay via direct debit (dd) with this offer? I know it's written somewhere there is a £3 charge, but I can't even get that with UPC deals. I tried ordering online, and seperatly via the carphone warehouse. Even though the sales people told me I could avoid dd, the agents who had to call and confirm the agreement always insisted on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Sidetracker

Hi Jason,

Thanks

Hi Kingkong, how did you get on with your querie to 1908 ? .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Hey Jason,

I need a letter of proof of address for the student accommodation I'm in. Would a letter singed by my landlord stating who he is and the address be adequate?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 yobgod

im getting rid of my tv for good
    television has had its day

Hi

You need to pay by direct debit if you subscribe to a bundle with phone in it. If you order broadband on is own you can pay by giro

Regards

Jason
    littlemick wrote: »
    Am I forced to pay via direct debit (dd) with this offer? I know it's written somewhere there is a £3 charge, but I can't even get that with UPC deals. I tried ordering online, and seperatly via the carphone warehouse. Even though the sales people told me I could avoid dd, the agents who had to call and confirm the agreement always insisted on it.

Hi Ricky91t. Yes that is fine complete with a bill head from wherever you have been living within the last 90 days

Regards

Jason
    Ricky91t wrote: »
    Hey Jason,

I need a letter of proof of address for the student accommodation I'm in. Would a letter singed by my landlord stating who he is and the address be adequate?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Hi Ricky91t. Yes that is fine complete with a bill head from wherever you have been living within the last 90 days

Regards

Jason

See that's a huge problem, We've only been living here a few days and all bills go through the landlord...

Why do UPC have to make this so awkward, this is the second year in a row and it's kinda unfair that the new tenants have to go to major trouble because the old ones didn't pay... :mad:

Ricky91t

You dont have to show a bill or letter from the address you are after moving into, just something from your last address within the last 90 days, for example a bank statement, bill, college letter etc. This is to prove to us that you are not the person that owes us money at the address you have moved to.

I trust this makes it clearer for you now.

Thanks

Jason
    Ricky91t wrote: »
    See that's a huge problem, We've only been living here a few days and all bills go through the landlord...

Why do UPC have to make this so awkward, this is the second year in a row and it's kinda unfair that the new tenants have to go to major trouble because the old ones didn't pay... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mattol58

Hi Jason,
    Potentially silly question but how would I go about ordering Broadband 25mb with Home Phone for 40 euro per month using the Boards.ie offer as a student to avail of the last 4 months free deal?
    Many Thanks in advance

mattol58

No worries, just order via www.upc.ie/boardsoffer and when my team call you to confirm, just ask for the student offer

Regards

Jason
    mattol58 wrote: »
    Hi Jason,
    Potentially silly question but how would I go about ordering Broadband 25mb with Home Phone for 40 euro per month using the Boards.ie offer as a student to avail of the last 4 months free deal?
    Many Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Jason. I subscribed via the abov link but never got a voucher, how long should it take ?

Hi there heathersonline

It can take 30 days after you were installed. If you are outside that timeframe, then please call my team on 1890940635 and they will get an ETA for you off the retail partner who you requested the voucher from. (They track the postage)

Thanks

Jason
    Jason. I subscribed via the abov link but never got a voucher, how long should it take ?

Hi Jason,

I have been trying to resolve a billing issue with my account since the 17 August. I would be grateful if you could respond to PMs, I know you must get a lot of messages but this has been outstanding for some time.
    Hi Jason,

RE: UPC STUDENT OFFER

I wonder can you help me I am having awful trouble getting my 4 months free with UPC at the moment. We noticed we were being direct debited the last 2 months are rang up. They informed us we had not signed up for the offer and were not entitled to the 4 months free.

The agent was very adamant and would not investigate it. I told the agent we had received the 50 euro voucher and we signed up via the website like www.upc.ie/boardsoffer

After that experience I didnt feel like ring up again and sent an email to upc explaining my case and that we were being billed. (see below response)

Quote:
    Dear Mr X,

Thank you for your recent email.

As per the account details I can confirm that one of the agents have already assisted your query also I would like to advise you please forward the copy of the confirmation email for the Offer so that we can assist you further.

For more helpful information, please visit the Customer Support section of our website.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Manisha

As you can see the response was not very helpful and immediately put the onus of proof on me. If you search my boards.ie posts you can see I posted about signing up for the offer back in september.

After digging through all my emails I did manage to find the original email from UPC confirming I had used the www.upc.ie/boardsoffer page. The email is dated is 17 September and has a reference of GNN-463051.

I also noticed that a company called Rigney Dolphin is/was acting as an agent of UPC for this offer. Can I ask is UPC having difficulties tracking the accounts which have signed up to the student offers due to outscouring customer service support to this company?

Thank

Thanks Jason, I received a voicemail today saving my account has been credited.

H Kingkong

No worries, glad it is sorted for you

Regards

Jason
    Thanks Jason, I received a voicemail today saving my account has been credited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Jason,

I'm a UPC customer and want to go to HD. There is a €5/month charge for this and a once off charge of €30 for the box. Can this later charge be wavered?

Thanks

Hi

Yes if you move your existing TV box into another room, and become a multi room customer your €60 activation fee from upgrading is waived.

Regards

Jason
    flanzer wrote: »
    Jason,

I'm a UPC customer and want to go to HD. There is a €5/month charge for this and a once off charge of €30 for the box. Can this later charge be wavered?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Thanks Jason. I'm already a multi room customer. I take it that matters for making the payment?

I ordered the Fibre Power Essential package through PC World last week.
    On Monday I was talking to a girl from UPC who set up my installation.

I specifically asked for a morning appointment and we agreed that it would be this Friday, 23rd between 9am and 1pm.

Yesterday (Wed 21st) I got an automated message telling me that my installation was booked for Friday between 1pm and 6pm.

I called UPC back this morning to check to be told that sometimes the automated system gets the times wrong, that looking at the system the installation is scheduled for the morning.

This afternoon (Thurs 22nd) at 3pm I got a call from the installer saying that UPC have my install scheduled for the afternoon. I told him it was meant to be in the morning, he says there's nothing he can do, its booked for the afternoon.

Once again I rang UPC back. They confirmed it is still on the system as being in the morning and are not sure why the installer says its booked for the afternoon, maybe he's busy!

To be honest its all very unprofessional. I am completely lost as to when I should expect the installer to arrive. I was hoping to be able to take a half day off work to be there for the installation, getting notice at 3pm the day before they are due to come out that the time has changed is not really good enough.

• Advertisement

Hi Daniel

Sorry for the confusion.

Installations are not my area and this is not the forum to discuss it, it is a reward thread for boards users.

You have not given me your account number so I cannot help you directly. If you want my team to help out I would be happy for them to assist. Please call them on 1890940635 and explain. They can check the system straight away.

Regards

Jason
    I ordered the Fibre Power Essential package through PC World last week.
    On Monday I was talking to a girl from UPC who set up my installation.

I specifically asked for a morning appointment and we agreed that it would be this Friday, 23rd between 9am and 1pm.

Yesterday (Wed 21st) I got an automated message telling me that my installation was booked for Friday between 1pm and 6pm.

I called UPC back this morning to check to be told that sometimes the automated system gets the times wrong, that looking at the system the installation is scheduled for the morning.

This afternoon (Thurs 22nd) at 3pm I got a call from the installer saying that UPC have my install scheduled for the afternoon. I told him it was meant to be in the morning, he says there's nothing he can do, its booked for the afternoon.

Once again I rang UPC back. They confirmed it is still on the system as being in the morning and are not sure why the installer says its booked for the afternoon, maybe he's busy!

To be honest its all very unprofessional. I am completely lost as to when I should expect the installer to arrive. I was hoping to be able to take a half day off work to be there for the installation, getting notice at 3pm the day before they are due to come out that the time has changed is not really good enough.

Hi flanzer

Unless you want another box in another room unfortunately you will need to pay the activation charge for HD

Thanks

Jason
    flanzer wrote: »
    Thanks Jason. I'm already a multi room customer. I take it that matters for making the payment?

Hi Jason,
    I have contacted 1890940635, it was an agent from here who confirmed that I had booked an AM installation and suggested that the installer might be busy tomorrow.

I don't have an account number, I can PM you my mobile number if you think that there is anything that can be done to get an AM appointment tomorrow.

I know that this is a thread about the boards/retail offer. I ordered through the retail offer and am sharing my experience with UPC and this process.

Regards,
    Daniel
    Hi Daniel

Sorry for the confusion.

Installations are not my area and this is not the forum to discuss it, it is a reward thread for boards users.

You have not given me your account number so I cannot help you directly. If you want my team to help out I would be happy for them to assist. Please call them on 1890940635 and explain. They can check the system straight away.

Regards

Jason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Wish I could avail of this but unfortunately UPC don't seem to think it a good business strategy to give our hill access to broadband, despite living in the middle of Cork city centre, despite my requests over 3 years. Ditto re cable.

Hi tommy21

That is a pity, hopefully you wont have to wait much longer. We are working on completing the upgrading of the existing TV network first, and once that is complete, we will be looking to expand to new estates.

Regards

Jason
    tommy21 wrote: »
    Wish I could avail of this but unfortunately UPC don't seem to think it a good business strategy to give our hill access to broadband, despite living in the middle of Cork city centre, despite my requests over 3 years. Ditto re cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Sidetracker

Hi dkane, dont be too hard on your self. You are but one of many. I signed up with UPC in June 2010. I would have cancelled in July 2010 but I was locked in. Only yesterday my phone, broadband and television services went dead. No warning. No notice and most importantly, no apoligy. That is the major problem with UPC. You loose one service you loose the lot. They give you a free call number to ring but they cut your phone off. Staff are a) most unhelpful, b) most untrained. Like you, when I signed up I arranged to have my services connected on a Monday Morning. The crew arrived at my door on Friday Morning @ 10am. I cant wait for my contract to end.

• Advertisement

Hi dkane

I understand Mark was speaking to you. Enjoy your products.

Regards

Jason
    Hi Jason,
    I have contacted 1890940635, it was an agent from here who confirmed that I had booked an AM installation and suggested that the installer might be busy tomorrow.

I don't have an account number, I can PM you my mobile number if you think that there is anything that can be done to get an AM appointment tomorrow.

I know that this is a thread about the boards/retail offer. I ordered through the retail offer and am sharing my experience with UPC and this process.

Regards,
    Daniel

All I can say is wow. I cannot believe that an official company representative would write a smartass response like that on a public thread.
    Hi dkane

I understand Mark was speaking to you. Enjoy your products.

Regards

Jason

dkane

Not sure what you mean. I escalated your query and was notified by my team that they had spoken to you and had sorted the issue out.

You are due to have your UPC products installed tomorrow, I was wishing you well and meant it.

Regards

Jason
    All I can say is wow. I cannot believe that an official company representative would write a smartass response like that on a public thread.

The issue has not been sorted out. I was offered a reduced installation charge because of the error on UPC's end.

The agent told me that the system confirms that my install was booked for the morning, I find out at 3pm the day before the install that there has been a mix up. There was no effort made to rectify the problem.

Of course there are no available AM slots now so I have no choice but to loose an additional 1/2 day's holidays and accept the PM slot.
    dkane

Not sure what you mean. I escalated your query and was notified by my team that they had spoken to you and had sorted the issue out.

You are due to have your UPC products installed tomorrow, I was wishing you well and meant it.

Regards

Jason

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hello!

I tried to sign up to the student offer in college on Tuesday. Was told an engineer would be out to see if my area is suitable in 2 days or so and haven't heard peep yet. I've filled out the boards form now anyway because at least then it'd be free installation and a €50 voucher.

Can you just clarify the wireless router thing. The guy in college said it comes with it but it seems on the website like that is usually an extra thing. Which is it?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement