Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken at 125 degrees?

Options
  • 17-02-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

One of my recipes calls for a whole chicken to be roasted in the oven at 125 degrees for 5 hours. I normally slam it in closer to 200. I'm guessing that as long as the resulting meat is clear of pinkness, then there's no danger of food poisoning or anything?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That would be akin to cooking it in the slow cooker - on the higher setting a chicken would cook in 4-6 hours from cold, and your oven will be preheated.
    You're right - once all pinkness is gone it's safe to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Could you post a link to that recipe please? Once the internal temperature comes up to around 71-73c it should be ok. It might be worth brining the chicken to prevent it from drying out too much at that temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Could you post a link to that recipe please?

This is not the original one I found, it's been Americanised, so the 250 degrees in that is equivalent to 125 celsius (er, right?), but it's much the same

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/ROAST-STICKY-CHICKEN-1278339

I think I'll give it a go this weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It sounds yummy, let us know how it turns out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

heston blumenthal roasts his at 60celsius for 6 hours then browns it in a large hot frying pan from what i remember....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Corblimey, did you try it? Did it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Minder wrote: »
    Corblimey, did you try it? Did it work?

I did. It was extremely easy to make the rub using my brand new pestle and mortar that DizzyBlonde pointed me at in this thread. I'm not convinced I left the rub on long enough before cooking. They had no fresh chickens in Tesco yesterday, so I picked one up early this morning. The rub had been marinating for about 4-5 hours by the time I went to cook it. I'd say a good few more hours, and the chicken meat would have been perfectly spiced, but as it was, it was basically the skin and a couple of cm below. Nice though. I'd add more paprika and I used fresh garlic instead of garlic powder. It's one of those rubs you can keep adjusting and re-using.

Another one for the recipe drawer :p

I'll definitely give it a try sometime.

You just can't beat a granite pestle and mortar :)

Advertisement