Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose please. Should I risk it.

• 17-02-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Can someone try to advise me please.
    I recently switched from BT to Vodafone on 7.6mb connection. The change was seamless and I'm achieving full speeds!!!

While on the phone to Vodafone today, I asked about their advertised 24mb speeds. I was tol my line can handle 12.5mb so that would be all I'd get.
    It's a fiver extra a month so I'm thinking cool.....

I was with Eircom for a while on their 7mb and the speeds were crap, which I think was down to the 48:1 contention ratio.

The Vodafone 24mb is on a ratio of 48:1 too so I'm a little hesitant. I think my current connection is on a ratio of 24:1

The woman on the phone said that once I leave my current (old BT) deal, i would have to take up a Vodafone offer (this is if the 24mb doesn't work out for me). Should I not be able to return to my original BT package with it's 24:1????

How can Vodafone suddenly have 24mb available in Ashbourne when BT and Eircom didn't.
    I don't want to drop my current package if it's gonna lead to a world of pain. The options here aren't exacty fantastic if I need to switch provider.

Anyone got any suggestions??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Hey i'm currently with UPC's Fibre power broadband of 15mbp and getting 14.5mpb which i'm really happy with. have you tried taking at look at UPC http://www.upc.com

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

UPC not available here. Would love it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

All Vodafone packages whether you were an ex-BT customer or not or on 48:1 contention ratio - if she told you otherwise then she is talking rubbish. On BT you were on 24:1 - when they switched you, you moved to 48:1

anoble66 wrote: »
    All Vodafone packages whether you were an ex-BT customer or not or on 48:1 contention ratio - if she told you otherwise then she is talking rubbish. On BT you were on 24:1 - when they switched you, you moved to 48:1

You're right.
    I rang back when I seen your post and they confirmed I am currently on 48:1!!!!!
    So seeing as I've no issues at the moment I rang and ordered the upgrade!! He said I will only get 12MB at the moment but my exchange is due an upgrade before April and I could benefit from the entire 24MB!!!!

He also said it'll kick in within 48hrs but the contract guy I spoke to said upto 21days!!!!!
    Anyone know when I'm likely to notice the speed increase?

also, I still think it's strange that they can offer 24mb when bt and eircom couldn't. The ashbourne exchange wasn't one of BT's LLU unbundles exchanges. I've raised this with the guy on the phone and he said I'll get the 12mb!!!

Thanks Anoble66 for pointing out the ratio issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

jarvis wrote: »
    You're right.
    also, I still think it's strange that they can offer 24mb when bt and eircom couldn't. The ashbourne exchange wasn't one of BT's LLU unbundles exchanges. I've raised this with the guy on the phone and he said I'll get the 12mb!!!

That's probably due to the fact that eircom maybe have just upgraded the equipment in the exchange to ADSL2+ which would mean that Eircom and all their resellers can offer the "up to 24Mb/s" package

• Advertisement

I rang them back this morning because the sales guy said the upgrade will take 48hrs and the verbal contract guy said 21days!!!!

They confirmed this morning that it WILL take 21 days:eek:

Is this actually how long people experience the upgrade takes to kick in????

Got my upgrade today and I'm really happy with it, getting 12mb solid down and my pings have improved too!!!
    My router is syncing at 12285Kbps, is his because they capped it at that? could I get more if I rang asking them to up it?

Stats:

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 12285 Kbps 670 Kbps
    Noise Margin 6.6 dB 23.2 dB
    Line Attenuation 27.0 dB 12.4 dB
    Output Power 12.4 dBm 17.6 dBm
    Anyone know?

Advertisement