Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Camera - Help!

• 17-02-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've been putting some money away for a new camera/lens for the past while and I'm almost ready to spend spend spend!! But I'm torn between the Canon 7D + 10-22mm lens and the Canon 5D Mkii. Both options work out to exactly the same price.

I primarily want to take landscape photos, which I'm a little bit restricted with my 20mm lens and a cropped sensor. If I buy the 7D I'll need to splash out on a new lens too. If I get the 5D I have a great lens for it already. Good low light capability is also something I'm looking for but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in their performance overall.

I'm also thinking that I'll probably update to a full frame model at some stage in the future so why not now?

So can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks
    Sp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

As you say why not. I moved from crop bodies up to full frame and it was like night and day, make sure you use good glass on the 5dmk2 as it will stretch them to the limit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

For landscapes go for the Full Frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Get the 5d mk ii

<---- jealous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

sprinkles wrote: »
    If I buy the 7D I'll need to splash out on a new lens too. If I get the 5D I have a great lens for it already.

Why do you say you'll need to buy new glass for the 7d?
    (PS, I have the 7d, and it's great!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

gman2k wrote: »
    Why do you say you'll need to buy new glass for the 7d?
    (PS, I have the 7d, and it's great!)
    If I go for the 7D I'll need a wider lens. I have a 20mm f2.8 which I love so a full frame would mean this would do me as opposed to a cropped 10-22 f3.5.

Me thinks the 5D it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I have the 7D and 5D (mrk1) ....if the mk1 is anything to go by 5D is a better camera for landscapes, buildings etc .... 7D is better for sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

No contest there. 5D MkII ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

5DMKII would be a wiser purchase if you intend to invest further in quality glass. Like Borderfox said though, poor glass will really show on the 5dmkii.
    It performs great in low light from my limited experience with night photography.

Advertisement