Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Unirea Venue: Anfield Date: Thursday 18 February Kick-off: 2005 GMT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Yeah coverage starts on 3e at 7.30pm. Very hard to know about the team but it should remembered that these boys gave Rangers a good hammering at Ibrox and will be no mugs.

Anyone know if Aquilani is fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

just reading the team news for each team
    TEAM NEWS

Liverpool

Key attackers Fernando Torres (knee) and Yossi Benayoun (broken rib) are back in training but will not make the squad, while Jamie Carragher has been passed fit after limping out of last week's loss to Arsenal with a groin complaint. Star full-back Glen Johnson remains sidelined with knee trouble.

Last starting XI (vs. Arsenal): Reina, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Insua, Mascherano, Lucas, Kuyt, Gerrard, Maxi, Ngog.

Unirea Urziceni

Levy's main concern is keeping his team intact for the return leg, as Iulian Apostol, Marius Bolasco, Pablo Brandan, George Galamaz and Ricardo Vilana are all one booking away from suspension.

Last starting XI (vs. Iasi): Arlauskis, Nicu, Maftei, Fernandes, Brandan, Semedo, Paduretu, Paraschiv, Frunza, Rusescu, Bilasco.

i expect a low scoring match, possibly 0-0 or 1-0 liverpool

I do look forward to see what kind of team Rafa will put out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

this from our friends at LFCTV
    Liverpool's European Record (overall): Pld 306 Won 173 Drawn 66 Lost 67.

Liverpool's record in UEFA Cup/Fairs Cup: Pld 95 Won 52 Drawn 23 Lost 20.

The winners of this tie will face either Lille or Fenerbahce in the last 16 with the second leg being at home.

This is the only last 32 fixture which two features two of the teams that finished third in the Champions League group stages.

This will be the first time Rafa Benitez has managed Liverpool in Europe's secondary club competition.

Liverpool's last tie in what was the UEFA Cup saw them eliminated by Marseille 3-2 on aggregate in March 2004.

On the only other occasion the Reds have parachuted from the Champions League into the UEFA Cup they were knocked out by Celtic in the Quarter Finals in 2002-03.

The Reds have lifted the UEFA Cup on three occasions - 1973, 1976 and 2001 - and ended those three seasons by also qualifying for the European Cup.

Only Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher remain at Anfield from that 2001 win.

Steven Gerrard has scored 32 goals in Europe, the most by any British player for one English club. His next goal will take him past Alan Shearer whose 32 goals came with two teams (30 for Newcastle and two for Blackburn).

Four of Gerrard's goals in Europe have come in this competition including the Final of 2001.

Liverpool need five goals for 350 in Europe at Anfield.

Albert Riera scored in the 2007 UEFA Cup Final for Espanyol only for his side to lose to Sevilla 3-1 on penalties after a 2-2 draw at Hampden Park.

Rafa Benitez won the UEFA Cup in 2004 with his Valencia team defeating Liverpool's conquerors Marseille in the Final.

In five meetings with Romanian opposition at Anfield, Liverpool have never conceded a goal.

The Reds have only ever lost two first leg ties played at Anfield - Chelsea 2009, Leeds 1971. That is two out of 44 home games and are unbeaten against non- English opposition.

Surprisingly, Liverpool have lost three of their last four home games in Europe.

Unirea are the fifth different Romanian team to face Liverpool in Europe. The Reds have never been eliminated by a team from that country and on two of the previous five occasions they went on to European glory, winning the European Cup in 1984 and the UEFA Cup in 2001.

Liverpool are one of nine former winners still involved at this stage of the competition.

The Reds are looking to become the first club ever to lift the trophy four times. They are level on three successes with Inter Milan and Juventus.

Pepe Reina has not conceded a goal at Anfield since Charles N'Zogbia scored for Wigan in injury time of the meeting in December.

Unirea's European record: Pld 8 Won 2 Drawn 3 Lost 3.

Their UEFA Cup record: Pld 2 Won 0 Drawn 1 Lost 1.

Last season Unirea won their first and so far only major honour winning the Romanian league.

They finished third in their Champions League group behind Sevilla and Stuttgart with Rangers as the bottom placed club. They picked up eight points (one more than Liverpool did in theirs).

They won one and lost two of their away games - the highlight being a 4-1 victory at Rangers.

Three of the eight Unirea goals in the Champions League were own goals, two of which were scored by Kyle Lafferty and Lee McCulloch of Rangers.

Last season in their first campaign in Europe Unirea lost 2-0 to Hamburg in the first round drawing the first leg in Germany 0-0.

Their first ever season in the top-flight in Romania came as recently as 2006. The season after they finished fifth and reached the domestic Cup Final, only to lose to Cluj.

Unirea are Liverpool's 107th different opponent in European football.

Dan Petrescu was coach during this season's Champions League campaign but left the club just before Christmas. His successor Roni Levy has faced Liverpool before.

He was coach of Maccabi Haifa in the Champions League third qualifying round in 2006-07. His team lost 2-1 at Anfield before drawing 1-1 in the second leg in Kiev.

In all competitions Unirea have lost just one of their last seven away games - that came in their final Champions League group match in Stuttgart.

They went into their winter break as one of three teams on 34 points at the top of the Romanian League. They were second behind Cluj.

Scorers this season:- (Europe in brackets):

Liverpool: Torres 12 (0), Kuyt 10 (1), Benayoun 7 (2), Gerrard 6 (0), Ngog 6 (1), Babel 3 (1), Johnson 2 (0), Insua 1 (0), Kyrgiakos 1 (0), Mascherano 1 (0), Skrtel 1 (0), own goals 2 (0).

Unirea: Bilasco 7 (1), Onofras 5 (1), Danalache 4 (0), Semedo 4 (1), Apostol 2 (0), Brandan 2 (1), Frunza 2 (0), Varga 2 (1), Galamaz 1 (0), Maftei 1 (0), Marinescu 1 (0), Paduretu 1 (0), Rusescu 1 (0).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id love to see Pacheco start but i dont think so. I did have a dream last night that he did, got a goal and we won 3-1 though. Its hard to know what team Rafa is going to put out because of the Citeh game on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

deccurley wrote: »
    He's a possibility, according to BBC Sport

Maxi Rodriguez is out though, ineligible because he's already played for Atletico Madrid in Europe this season

• Advertisement

deccurley wrote: »
    Yeah coverage starts on 3e at 7.30pm. Very hard to know about the team but it should remembered that these boys gave Rangers a good hammering at Ibrox and will be no mugs.

Aquilani came down with vomitting bug recently which is why Rafa didnt play him. Whether Aqua is prepared to play a bit part for rest of season is the bigger question. Rafa has lost faith in him by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

must check to see if i have 3e

should be on your basic NTL package

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Irishkop banner will be making its debut tonight.

Dub13 wrote: »
    The Irishkop banner will be making its debut tonight.
    Yes good luck with that. How big is it in terms of dimensions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yes good luck with that. How big is it in terms of dimensions.

6m high by 2.5m wide with 4 sleeves for the poles to fit in so this can be held up without it sagging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Scouting report: Urziceni look to test Liverpool's patience
    The most telling thing about Liverpool’s season is probably that, had they managed to scrape into second place in their Champions League group ahead of Lyon before Christmas, it would be they who faced nine times European Cup winners Real Madrid and their army of Galacticos this week, instead of the French side.
    Instead they play host to Unirea Urziceni, a team very few beyond the borders of Romania had heard of before the back end of last season, and one that had not even played top flight football before 2006.
    Perhaps a headline clash with Atletico Madrid, Juventus or Ajax would have provided a more palatable transition from Champions to Europa League, for Liverpool’s fans. However the players can’t afford to lapse into that mindset, not least because Urziceni have already proven a more than capable outfit at European level, and in truth probably made a better fist of attempting to qualify for the Champions League knock-out stages than Liverpool did this season.
    The Romanian champions finished third in Champions League Group G, behind Sevilla and Stuttgart, knocking Rangers out of the European reckoning altogether. They accrued eight points from their six group matches (one more than Liverpool could muster in Group E, incidentally), in a campaign that saw them win emphatically at Ibrox 4-1, and overcome 2006 and 2007 UEFA Cup winners Sevilla 1-0.

Rangers 1-4 Urziceni - probably not the best moment in Rangers' history...
    However it’s not all been sunshine and roses for Urziceni over recent months. During the winter break, manager Dan Petrescu (him formerly of Sheffield Wednesday, Chelsea and scoring that ruddy annoying late goal against England in ‘98) opted to jump ship in favour of the sizable pay-rise offered by Russian side Kuban Krasnodar.
    He will certainly be missed by the Romanian side, having overseen the most successful period in their history after arriving back in 2006, the pinnacle being last season’s unexpected league triumph.
    Such was Petrescu’s influence at Urziceni, that he was able to nickname the club ‘the Chelsea of Ialomita’ (Ialomita being the region of Romania in which Urziceni is based), after his former employers in London.
    Former Maccabi Haifa coach Ronny Levy has since taken to the helm, with tonight’s clash at Anfield being his first competitive match since taking over. The Israeli won three consecutive league titles in his homeland between 2004 and 2006, and will be hoping to defend Urziceni‘s title, with his new club one of three tied on 34 points at the top of the Romanian Liga at the half way stage.
    But first he'll be looking to frustrate Liverpool, having done so in the qualifying round back in 2006, when his Maccabi side were only undone by an 88th minute Mark Gonzalez (remember him?) goal at Anfield, before holding the eventual finalists to a 1-1 draw in Israel.
    The new system implemented by Levy during the club’s mid-season friendlies has been a 4-2-3-1 when defending, switching to 4-1-4-1 when in possession. This system utilises Urziceni’s main strengths: their solid defence – they’ve only conceded 13 league goals in 17 matches so far this season, having let in 20 in 34 last term – and their ability to soak up pressure and catch teams on the break – a strength Rangers are only too aware of after the Romanians’ win at Ibrox back in October.

Levy: "Yeah, I'll take the job, who's the first game against...?"
    This would tend to suggest that Liverpool will need to keep their patience going forward, and also their concentration at the back. Urziceni have the resilience to frustrate the Anfield crowd, who will doubtless be looking for a victory.
    While Liverpool certainly should have enough quality to overcome their less illustrious opponents over two legs, what they’ll really need is composure – and that’s exactly what they’ve lacked time and time again this season.
    Expected line-up:
    GK: Arklauskis
    DR: Maftei
    DC: Galamaz
    DC: Bruno Fernandes
    DL: Brandan
    MR: Semedo
    DM: Apostol
    CM: Paduretu
    AM: Onofras
    ML: Frunza
    ST: Bilasco
    Three to watch out for:

Name: Giedrius Arlauskis
    Date of Birth: 01/12/1987
    Place of Birth: Telšiai (Lithuania)
    Nationality: Lithuanian
    Height: 184cm
    Weight: 79kg
    Position: Goalkeeper
    Squad number: 1
    Arlauskis made his Urziceni debut in the 2007/08 season, but it was last season that he really established himself as a key member of the side. He made 30 league appearances as Urziceni conceded the fewest goals in Liga 1 and went on to win the title.
    Rumour has it that Sevilla and few other clubs in Europe’s more established leagues have been watching the young keeper during the course of this impressive spell.
    The Lithuanian is a confident, agile keeper and an excellent shot stopper. However Liverpool may look to exploit his weakness from set pieces – the 22-year-old is not a keeper who will dominate the box by leaving his line to pluck crosses out of the air, instead he tends to stay on his line & lets his defenders deal with the aerial threat.

Name: Pablo Brandan
    Date of Birth: 05/03/1983
    Place of Birth: Buenos Aires (Argentina)
    Nationality: Argentinean
    Height: 181cm
    Weight: 82kg
    Position: Left back
    Squad number: 19
    Now in his third season with Urziceni after signing from Alaves in January 2008, the talented left back is a key figure in a sturdy Urziceni back four.
    The Argentine is a skilful player with a nice first touch and excellent dribbling skills, making him a good link between defence and midfield.
    e has a tendency to dwell on the ball and sometimes tries to play his way out of trouble rather than just finding a teammate, but he possesses the pace and is a fine tackling ability to get him out of most sticky situations.

Name: Marius Bilasco
    Date of Birth: 13/07/1981
    Place of Birth: Sighetu Marmatiei (Romania)
    Nationality: Romanian
    Height: 184cm
    Weight: 79kg
    Position: Striker
    Squad number: 7
    The 28 year old striker had been floating around the Romanian leagues for the best part of a decade before arriving at Urziceni, playing most of his football for Arges Pitesti. He joined Urziceni in January 2007 and has been a regular fixture since.
    Bilasco is perhaps not the most technically gifted player, and he’s not the most prolific goal scorer, but what he does bring to the side is a tremendous work ethic – remind you of a certain Dutchman in the Liverpool ranks (not Ryan Babel, obviously...)?
    Very good in the air and is quite agile considering his height, Bilasco works hard for the team and is able to keep a cool head in a one-on-one situation, meaning he often benefits from the aforementioned Urziceni counter-attacks.

Probably the most low key build up a match in a while. To be expected tbf.

First things first, we can't concede. Anything after that will be a bonus.

Sunday's game is far bigger than this so would love to see a few young lads get a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Got this team from RAWK – don’t know if I believe it to be honest. I hope that’s not the team anyway.

Reina

Carra
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Aurelio

Kuyt
    Masch
    Lucas
    Riera

Gerrard
    Ngog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Probably the most low key build up a match in a while. To be expected tbf.

First things first, we can't concede. Anything after that will be a bonus.

Sunday's game is far bigger than this so would love to see a few young lads get a run out.

Jaysus that's not exactly reaching for the stars is it. We are playing a team that are far inferior to us at home. Anything less than a two goal victory is a disappointment in my opinion.

magma69 wrote: »
    Jaysus that's not exactly reaching for the stars is it. We are playing a team that are far inferior to us at home. Anything less than a two goal victory is a disappointment in my opinion.
    Why?

Why?
    I'm beginning to worry about you. As I said in my post which you replied to, we are playing a team with far less quality at home. We should be taking a two goal advantage with us to Romania.

I'm beginning to worry about you. As I said in my post which you replied to, we are playing a team with far less quality at home. We should be taking a two goal advantage with us to Romania.
    2-0 means we dont concede the away goal. Do you think they are capable of scoring three goals against us. Given that we have been fairly tight at the back recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

According to the odds yes, but I think it'll be harder than people think. Let's not forget they did beat Rangers 4-1 at the Ibrox. Plus they'll be well rested and concentrating on this match, whereas we're keeping one eye on the match at the weekend.

So I'm predicting a tight match, and if we do any better than a 2-0 win I'd be surprised.

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    According to the odds yes, but I think it'll be harder than people think. Let's not forget they did beat Rangers 4-1 at the Ibrox. Plus they'll be well rested and concentrating on this match, whereas we're keeping one eye on the match at the weekend.

So I'm predicting a tight match, and if we do any better than a 2-0 win I'd be surprised.
    hard to believe our stock has fallen that low. This time last year we murdered Real Madrid. Now everyone is starting to panic. Not worried about tonight

• Advertisement

The minimum requirement when playing at home in Europe is not to concede.

Anything after that is a bonus as I said, ie 1-0, 2-0 etc.

We are capable of scoring away from home so a clean sheet is essential.

These guys were in the CL and aren't useless by any means.

Try thinking back to the supposedly "easy" group we had in the CL this season and remember our performances at home.

Shocking to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Got this team from RAWK – don’t know if I believe it to be honest. I hope that’s not the team anyway.

Reina

Carra
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Aurelio

Kuyt
    Masch
    Lucas
    Riera

Gerrard
    Ngog

I got this one an hour ago :

Reina
    Aurelio
    Skrtel
    Kyrgiakos
    Kelly
    Lucas
    Mascherano
    Aquilani
    Riera
    Kuyt
    Ngog

2-0 means we dont concede the away goal. Do you think they are capable of scoring three goals against us. Given that we have been fairly tight at the back recently.

WTF? Are you just trying to piss me off or something? Seriously dude.

I said anything less than a two goal win would be a disappointment. I said nothing about thinking we will lose by 3 goals in the away leg. We are playing a far inferior team and anything less than a two goal win would be a disappointing performance in my eyes regardless of what happens in the second leg.

Do you read a post and think to yourself "What possible way could I misinterpret this post?" and then reply?

The minimum requirement when playing at home in Europe is not to concede.

Anything after that is a bonus as I said, ie 1-0, 2-0 etc.

We are capable of scoring away from home so a clean sheet is essential.

These guys were in the CL and aren't useless by any means.

Try thinking back to the supposedly "easy" group we had in the CL this season and remember our performances at home.

Shocking to say the least.

I agree it is important to keep things tight at the back but we really ought to be taking an advantage into the second leg.

Dub13 wrote: »
    6m high by 2.5m wide with 4 sleeves for the poles to fit in so this can be held up without it sagging
    Will look out for it. Will be good to see our flag premiered for first time.

Rosco1982 wrote: »

Reina
    Aurelio
    Skrtel
    Kyrgiakos
    Kelly
    Lucas
    Mascherano
    Aquilani
    Riera
    Kuyt
    Ngog

Kelly at RB :)

Happy enough with that team tbh

I agree it is important to keep things tight at the back but we really ought to be taking an advantage into the second leg.

Hopefully mate. An early goal is key and get the crowd right behind us.

Yes great to see Kelly back in the reds shirt again

Reina
    Aurelio
    Skrtel
    Kyrgiakos
    Kelly
    Lucas
    Mascherano
    Aquilani
    Riera
    Kuyt
    Ngog

If that is the selection, I will be satisfied. Nice to see Gerrard left out and Kelly given another chance to impress. Slightly disappointed not to see Pacheco but I'm sure he'll make an appearance at some stage. That team should do the business for us.

• Advertisement

Yes thats as strong a team as Rafa could put out. A good display tonight is the key in terms of putting us in right frame of mind for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

That team isn't from the usual fella so I don't know how reliable it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Ajax 1-0 up against Juve, Ajax don't look a bad side at all tonight, a lot better than I thought they'd be. Saw the riot cops escorting a load of Juve fans from the central station earlier, I hope the Ajax fans don't kick off, they've been getting rowdy lately.

That team isn't from the usual fella so I don't know how reliable it is.

It had better be right or you're fired! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd hazard a guess the first team posted up will be closer to it.

Jaysus its quiet here. Keep the heads up followers ;)

• Advertisement

People saying a 2 or 3-0 win is a must are making me laugh. These are a good side who were unlucky not to qualify for the 2nd round of the Champions League, and we havent scored 2 in a game in weeks.

Jaysus its quiet here. Keep the heads up followers ;)

There'd have been mass suicides from pool fans this season if you hadn't been here to lift our spirits

My post should have said we havent scored 3 goals in a game in weeks(if at all this season)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Put 6 past Hull, ah those were the days!

Could be 4-4-2 but I'll guess the usual.

Pepe,
    Carra, Skrtel, Agger, Aurelio,
    Masch, Aquilani,
    Kuyt, ---Gerrard----, Riera
    Ngog

Subs: Cavalieri, Greek, Babel, Lucas, Insau, Degen, Pacheco

• Advertisement

Ah yes, when was that? Very early this season IIRC

There'd have been mass suicides from pool fans this season if you hadn't been here to lift our spirits
    know the feeling. The amount of grief I take for you lads from the others is unreal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

1924: TEAMS Liverpool v Unirea Urziceni
    Liverpool: Reina, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Aurelio, Mascherano, Aquilani, Kuyt, Gerrard, Riera, Ngog. Subs: Cavalieri, Kyrgiakos, Babel, Lucas, Insua, Degen, Pacheco.

possibly are best possible lineup at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Surprised there's no start for Babel.
    Would have liked to have seen Kelly play and Carra rested.

Really think babel warrants a start.

MR NINE wrote: »
    1924: TEAMS Liverpool v Unirea Urziceni
    Liverpool: Reina, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Aurelio, Mascherano, Aquilani, Kuyt, Gerrard, Riera, Ngog. Subs: Cavalieri, Kyrgiakos, Babel, Lucas, Insua, Degen, Pacheco.

possibly are best possible lineup at the moment
    Im guessing that Rafa will play aqua tonight and then bring back Lucas for sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Garry Kelly and a lesbian, jesus this is bargain basement stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Id've liked to see Babel get a start ahead of ngog or kuyt, also wouldve liked to see Kelly playing. Still though, its a sign of intent for anyone who was wondering if we were going to take the EL seriously. I'd imagine Aqua will indeed be replaced by lucas for Sunday. Lucas defo needed a rest tonight IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

2 mins into 3e coverage and i'm already willing to put it forward as the worst of the year...

Chanel No 5 are also showing this if you can access it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement