Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Unirea Venue: Anfield Date: Thursday 18 February Kick-off: 2005 GMT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That's wat i'd be hoping for.

i don't really know what to say. That's been one of our big problems this season - persisting with "reliables" even though they are out of form, as Aurelio is. Insua does not need to be babied, he's been excellent the last couple of weeks. So our left winger should be picked on a)form and b)attacking ability - Babel wins on both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

He quite ****in clearly is.

what are you getting wound up for? he's a decidedly average player with a good left foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

pacheco ahead of gerrard as well so?

Yes and Degan in goal for Reina.

a) attacking ability - Gerrard
    b) form - can hardly judge we haven't seen enough of pacheco at this level recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yer one is f*ckin amazing :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Holy sh1t, check out the bird on TV3 football now!!! Kirsteen O'Sullivan. Yum yum. The rest of this was somewhat cringeworthy but my interest just picked up!! :D

Dave! wrote: »

I take it you're watching channel 5, miguel is cute and all but i wouldn't call him amazing. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hang on , is that Kirsteen woman the one does the news/weather on newstalk? I cant stand listenign to her on the radio. She's the one that reads the weather temperatures as "the weather will be between 12 to 15 oc" It's small but it grates on me .

Anyway, OT rants over.Maybe teh girl just cant read, shes makes lots of mistakes :-)

look-i hope babel proves me wrong. but i sense if he starts, i'll be on here talking about how he stunk the place out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Stekelly wrote: »
    Hang on , is that Kirsteen woman the one does the news/weather on newstalk? I cant stand listenign to her on the radio. She's the one that reads the weatehr temperatures as "the weathe rwill be between 12 to 15 oc" It's small but it grates on me .

Anyway, OT rants over.Maybe teh girl just cant read, shes makes lots of mistakes :-)

Hah that's always annoyed me too :D Dunno if it's the same one
    I take it you're watching channel 5, miguel is cute and all but i wouldn't call him amazing. :pac:

Ahh you'd give him a length in fairness :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Not a great game but Unirea gave a masterclass in parking the bus I thought.

On another night it could have quite easily been a three or four nil win.

I think part of the problem in terms of performance might be having one eye on the City game on Sunday.

In the away leg Unirea will have to make some effort to get forward which should suit Liverpool as there will be more space. Would be surprised if Liverpool don't make it through to the last 16 on the basis of what I saw from Unirea tonight.

I thought Riera, Aquilani, Aurelio, Carra, Kuyt and Gerrard all turned in average or below-average performances. Pepe, Skrtel and Agger had nothing to do but did it very well. I thought Dave had a decent game. Would give Babel MOTM for the impact he had when he came on and would expect him to start Sunday on the left. Pacheco wasn't on long enough to really judge but did well for the assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

look-i hope babel proves me wrong. but i sense if he starts, i'll be on here talking about how he stunk the place out.

or you maybe pleasantly surprise

your too harsh on him Alan :)

well our play can't get much worse, so we might as well give it a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

good to see babel was trying when he came in. we were atrocious in the final 3rd and he made the difference.

pacheco didn't do much, but he did do the 2nd most important contribution of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Babel was the player that made the difference tonight, the moment he came on his intent was clear, the pity is he didn't come on a bit sooner. Riera was dawdling. I was watching Kuyt closely tonight (not often I get the chance to see whole games on the telly) has he ever trapped a ball cleanly? You can practically hear the ball rattle off his shins. Will Uniera be as unambitious in a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Dave! wrote: »
    Fizman wrote: »
    Holy sh1t, check out the bird on TV3 football now!!! Kirsteen O'Sullivan. Yum yum. The rest of this was somewhat cringeworthy but my interest just picked up!! :D
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Hang on , is that Kirsteen woman the one does the news/weather on newstalk? I cant stand listenign to her on the radio. She's the one that reads the weather temperatures as "the weather will be between 12 to 15 oc" It's small but it grates on me .

Oi..any pics

EDIT: Is this her?

Kirsteen_osullivan.png

Oi..any pics

don't bother. "F*cking amazing" is the overstatement of the century. She's attractive, but nothing exceptional. Just the mediocity of the evening playing with peoples heads i think.

edit: ok she looks pretty good in the picture above to be fair

headshot-maybe i am too harsh on him. his attitude infuriates me though.rapping,tweeting,tryin to engineer a move, moaning publically,lack of bottle etc. its everything i hate about modern footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

1170_kirst.jpg%26bgc%3De6e6e6

mini-BAM

headshot-maybe i am too harsh on him. his attitude infuriates me though.rapping,tweeting,tryin to engineer a move, moaning publically,lack of bottle etc. its everything i hate about modern footballers.

His attitude does stink Al but he changed the game tonight.

He has a good reason to bust his gut with the world cup in the summer so hopefully we see him produce some decent performances for us.

I'm his biggest critic but I'd love more than anything to see him prove me wrong.

He has massive ability, that's the frustrating thing about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

1170_kirst.jpg%26bgc%3De6e6e6

mini-BAM

Christ I dont know if thats man, woman or beast!

i get where your coming alright, there's a good few posters saying he changed the game for pool so they cant be all wrong, can they ?

why do you think he had a bad game ?

i don't think he had a bad game?! I think he did alright. On for half an hour, ran at their left back a couple of times and one decent cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Change the record AL. Who did he engineer a move to?.......ajax on loan when he wasnt getting any game time?. Thought you would be happy to see him out the door. When brum offered him games and cash he turned it down, he wants to make something happen at our club. Fair play to him. Its the lads who drop their knickers (and kick up a stink) at the sound of a fresh signing on fee is what i hate about modern footballers.

• Advertisement

i don't think he had a bad game?! I think he did alright. On for half an hour, ran at their left back a couple of times and one decent cross.

2 descent crosses

remember the one at the far post, think it was to gerrard

also i think he got obstructed in the box when he was dribbling through the Unirea defenders

didn't babels agent say he'd be open for a move and it was in actual fact Liverpool who turned down the bid, nothing to do wit babel. Who a couple of weeks earlier was tweeting about how he'll be great a great player, but it might have to be at a new club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

didn't babels agent say he'd be open for a move and it was in actual fact Liverpool who turned down the bid, nothing to do wit babel. Who a couple of weeks earlier was tweeting about how he'll be great a great player, but it might have to be at a new club?

Benitez said, "i spoke with ryan and he doesnt want to move" (re brum) so if thats liverpool turning down a bid and babel wanting away then i must be losing my mind tbh.

I'd still be surprised if he started against city at the weekend, actually now that i think of it wasn't is last start against City? and his pal De Jong fnckd up his ankle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Babel was outstanding when he came on.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say outstanding, he just done what a decent wide man is supposed to do beat players and whip in crosses. We lack that so much in our side when someone actually does it its like, woah! so thats what its like to actually create chances. He did well, but i'd still be surprised if Benitez includes him on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I wouldn't say outstanding, he just done what a decent wide man is supposed to do beat players and whip in crosses. We lack that so much in our side when someone actually does it its like, woah! so thats what its like to actually create chances. He did well, but i'd still be surprised if Benitez includes him on Sunday.

Probably some truth in that.

He was good when he came on, looked up for it.

My suspicion is, he looked good against average enough opposition. The positive would be, he's an option when teams park the bus, definitely worth a half an hour.

Anyway, best think I seen in Red last night was the blonde on TV3 afterwards.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Christ Almighty that was attrocious, was there a worse game in Europe last night? The only savig grace for the 2nd leg is that Pool scored so at Unirea have to attack next week. Could have seen them going for two 0-0s and pennos.

Where was the team that took Rangers apart? They showed pool too much respect, there was signs of their ability but they came for a 0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Awful performance - where the fuck was the movement!? Half the time the box was full of statues while another few chaps seemed to playing a seperate game of 'pass the ball from one side of the D to the other'.

They seemed completely unaware that if everyone in the box starts moving, with some of the players outside the box swapping over with those inside, that markers can get dragged out of position and space can open up. Infuriating to watch.

I dont know if it was mentioned here, but was anyone else infuriated (infuriate is my word for today i think) by Gerrards 'going down easy' thing in the first half to win a free when he could have easily stayed on his feet and kept going to leave him with a shot on goal? Seems more often then not now, if he gets any contact within shouting distance of the box, he'll throw himself to the ground.

Also, finally, I love Pacheco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

At least Babel was pacey and ran at them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

At least Babel was pacey and ran at them

agreed, i don't care about Babel's attitude right now.

he came on, made a difference, showed pace, showed he cared for once, beat his man and gave us impetus.

i am sick and tired of watching players pass it back to the full-back in order to hoof it up the pitch to N'Gog, who is doing admirably with the service he's getting.

Babel must start the next game IMO.

with Benayoun, Johnson and Torres, 3 of our players who can beat players and penetrate defences still missing, and Gerrard still off-colour, we need his pace and power.

I know his inclusion leaves us open to him potentially stinking the place out, but it's a risk i'm willing to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

I know he scores the odd goal and usually an important one but how the fVck does Kuyt get a game, he has the touch of a wall and his passing is attrocious.

I know he scores the odd goal and usually an important one but how the fVck does Kuyt get a game, he has the touch of a wall and his passing is attrocious.

because he personifies 'work-rate' and 'desire'.

two things you'll find Rafa ranks above all other things.

just listen to any of Rafa's post-match interviews. they're two words he'll mention more than any others.

to be fair he's had a decent month or 2, but i just never trust him to ever control the ball, and attacks break down too often because of him.

SlickRic wrote: »
    agreed, i don't care about Babel's attitude right now.

he came on, made a difference, showed pace, showed he cared for once, beat his man and gave us impetus.

i am sick and tired of watching players pass it back to the full-back in order to hoof it up the pitch to N'Gog, who is doing admirably with the service he's getting.

Babel must start the next game IMO.

with Benayoun, Johnson and Torres, 3 of our players who can beat players and penetrate defences still missing, and Gerrard still off-colour, we need his pace and power.

I know his inclusion leaves us open to him potentially stinking the place out, but it's a risk i'm willing to take.

I agree with everything said here.
    Kuyt is going to start against City regardless, and I’ve no problem with that because he’s been better the last couple of weeks.
    That leaves Maxi, Riera, Aurelio and Babel fighting for the left wing slot.

Maxi has been poor to be honest since he’s arrived. He needs time to settle, and has absolutely no place playing in such a big game for us right now.
    Riera was the worst I’ve ever seen him last night. He doesn’t deserve to start on Sunday.

That leaves Aurelio or Babel. Babel is in better form than Aurelio at the minute (I think Fabio’s days at the club are even more numbered than Babel’s). Babel has more pace and power – the very thing our attacks are lacking. Yes, he’ll give the ball away more, but I’ll live with that. We’re not retaining the ball anyway.
    Aurelio playing ahead of Babel on Sunday would send out a very f*cking clear message – that our wingers are being picked primarily for their defensive aptitude. Aurelio has offered us nothing in attack all season, bar that one cross against Stoke.
    Babel came on against Arsenal and did ok, unlucky not to get us an equalizer. He came on last night for half an hour and was most people’s man of the match. That’s what people were saying two weeks ago that Babel needed to do to get more starts.

I thought Kuyt was alright last night, he was one of the few players that actually looked like scoring.
    Was it his brilliant pass that set up Gerrards first chance in the first half??

• Advertisement

I'd agree Babel should start on Sunday, it's very much sink or swim time for him. He's earned his chance with his cameo's, so now he can put up or shut up with a starting role.

Was good to see Rafa put a little pressure on Pacheco to throw him into an important situation as a potential game changer, and excellent to see pacheco's reaction. As well as the assist, i thought he had some excellent touches to retain possession at times he had no real right to.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'd agree Babel should start on Sunday, it's very much sink or swim time for him. He's earned his chance with his cameo's, so now he can put up or shut up with a starting role.

Was good to see Rafa put a little pressure on Pacheco to throw him into an important situation as a potential game changer, and excellent to see pacheco's reaction. As well as the assist, i thought he had some excellent touches to retain possession at times he had no real right to.

I think he should start Babel and Pacheco on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think Babel was the difference last night, but I would not start him against City. I would give him 30 minutes though to let him prove that last night was not a one off. Then if he can maintain a run of form after getting maybe three or four 30 minute run outs in a row, then give him a starting berth, and let him keep it if his form warrants it.

Too big a game to be starting Pacheco, particularly out of position, would be a pretty unfair introduction to the team.

The only place they could put him is wide right (unless we put Pacheco in his rightful position and move Gerrard wide, but thats just not going to happen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I think this thread has gone slightly off topic, but I think Babel should start up front on Sunday(but he won't), put Aurelio on the wing. Reira was muck last night, and Rafa usually puts aurelio on the left for big games, bit of extra cover for the left back.

Lucas to come back in for Aquaman(as he was poor last night and Rafa doesn't seem to think he is cut out for the premiership).

Jumping on the Pacheco bandwagon, would love to see him get 20 minutes on Sunday. He didn't get much time last night, but I think he might give us a bit of something different. Rafa is prepared to give youth a chance at the back, so why not up front!!!!

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think Babel was the difference last night, but I would not start him against City. I would give him 30 minutes though to let him prove that last night was not a one off. Then if he can maintain a run of form after getting maybe three or four 30 minute run outs in a row, then give him a starting berth, and let him keep it if his form warrants it.

but barely ANYBODY else is performing at a high enough level to keep him out of the team.

his cameos IMO already warrant a start.

Pacheco, maybe give him 15/20 minutes, but i wouldn't start him yet.

although i am really liking the look of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SlickRic wrote: »
    but barely ANYBODY else is performing at a high enough level to keep him out of the team.

his cameos IMO already warrant a start.

Pacheco, maybe give him 15/20 minutes, but i wouldn't start him yet.

although i am really liking the look of him.

I just feel that if Babel starts a game and does not pull up trees, then Rafa will not stick with him in the same manner that he has stuck by other players who have been poor for most of the season.

For that reason I think it would suit both Rafa and Babel better if Babel was used as a 30 minute impact sub for a few games.

Rafa wrote: »
    We started really well and I was really pleased for a while," said the Spaniard.
    "We cannot play at the same level that we played against Real Madrid every game, especially when the away team is defending well.
    "You have to take your chances and if we had taken the first one in the first minute it could have been totally different but we had to be patient and keep on attacking.
    "We were trying, passing the ball and continuing to move the ball

whose he trying to fool?

I wouldn't start Pacheco in such a big game away from home. Easing him into the team is the right thing to do.
    Kess73 wrote: »

Who would you play instead?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't start Pacheco in such a big game away from home. Easing him into the team is the right thing to do?

Sure if he doesnt rise to the challenge then take him off, i think he's worth the risk.

Advertisement