Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fixing plasterboard to soild block walls

• 17-02-2010 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

advise please!
    I have a solid block wall that is plastered and painted, chase for electrics was run too wide, so builders spanned the chase with plasterboard and skimed across, now there is some movement between one of these spans, and cracks running, up, down side to side.
    best solution I think is to put up new plasterboad on the whole wall and skim.
    My question is: I've had two plastered come to price it , one wants to use mushrooms and the other one wants to dot and dab, which is the best method? or is it a matter of preferance for the plasterer

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Mushrooms will hold every thing to the wall,with dot and dab you are depending on the existing bond (if you are leaving existing plaster board up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 reefray

Dot & Dab will not bond to a painted finsh. It will only bond to a rough or keyed background.

When done properly tho it grips like a drowning man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Whenever Im renovating I much prefer when the plaster has been dabbed on, as it comes off so easily...

Mushroomed or batoned on is much harder to remove...
    That said Ive never had a dabbed wall fall down on me either.

Advertisement