Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Buncrana

Options
  • 17-02-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I've been informed that I got a job that I had applied for in Buncrana.

I'm really just wondering about renting a room up there, there doesn't seem to be much on daft.ie and I'm only looking to rent a room, not a whole house. Are there any local papers I should try that would have many listings??

The problem is I'm from Athlone and living in Galway, I don't know much about Buncrana itself, and its not really a runner for me to go up looking as its an 8 hour round-trip.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not sure how helpful these links are but the 2 most popular papers around Buncrana would be the Inish Times and the Derry Journal

You could google auctioneers or estate agents in Buncrana and see what they may have to offer.

There are a couple of people from that area posting here so they may be able to help you out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

also try the dealer...theres a fairly large property section near the back with rooms for rent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Firstly, well done on getting the job, hope it goes well for you.

Mufflers advice is spot on. Some of the local agents that do a lot of rental property are Remax and Crana Financial.

These two mainly do property rentals, but may be able to suggest properties that are looking to share. Also, there are a shed load of vacant flats in the town atm, especially around Ardavan Square. This is a new developement in the centre of town, with shops, banks, chemists etc. Don't be afraid to haggle hard, as some of these have been empty for a long time.

You could try the local SuperValu as it has a notice board which sometimes have rooms advertised.

As for The Dealer - it's a great local Free Ads paper, that comes out every thursday.
    Last weeks had some one bed apartments for €75 - €80 per week, two bed for €100 per week. Three beds, close to town centre - 1 @ €150 per week, 1 @ €600 per month - a little bit out of town, €120 per week.

So you see, a room in a house will cost €50 a week approx, but if you're a single, working professional, and haggle, you could get your own apartment for a little more! :)

Hope that gives you some ideas, and rough prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

I also recently started a new job in Buncrana and in our office there are several adverts for houses and rooms to let.
    I can make a list of them for you and send them on if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

foggy wrote: »
    I also recently started a new job in Buncrana and in our office there are several adverts for houses and rooms to let.
    I can make a list of them for you and send them on if you like?

Please do, that would be great, thank you.

Thanks a million to all of you for your help, i really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

The classified section of the Inishowen News may help as well: http://www.inishowennews.com/Classifieds.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Possibly out of your price range but there's a few nice apartments in Fahan (5 min drive from Buncrana) for rent.

http://www.property.ie/property-to-let/Roneragh-Apartments-Fahan-Co-Donegal/809704/

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Great to see people getting jobs well done to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭inishindie

Hi Deccurley

Have you moved to Buncrana and found accommodation yet?

If not I'm in and out of the Supervalu shop every day and could give you some numbers off of the noticeboard if you like.

Congrats on the job..Hope it goes well

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

inishindie wrote: »
    Hi Deccurley

Have you moved to Buncrana and found accommodation yet?

If not I'm in and out of the Supervalu shop every day and could give you some numbers off of the noticeboard if you like.

Congrats on the job..Hope it goes well

Ian

Cheers Ian, and thats to everyone for their help. I wont be moving up there until the second week in April as it turns out so I'm really just kinda feeling it out to see whats available but theres no point in you checking it out for me at the mo as its a while away yet. Thanks again!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement