Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backup of NAS to NAS through Rsync

Options
  • 17-02-2010 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a Synology NAS in the office acting as a server for all office files (~100gigs).

Although it has RAID 1, I also want to be able to backup offsite.
    I've looked at rsync backup service websites but they all seem pretty pricey.

If I were to setup a NAS at home, would it be easy to setup a nightly rsync backup to it?

Would it make it easier if the NAS at home was Synology or could I go for a different make as Synology NAS's are fairly pricey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Jimbo wrote: »
    Hello,

I have a Synology NAS in the office acting as a server for all office files (~100gigs).

Although it has RAID 1, I also want to be able to backup offsite.
    I've looked at rsync backup service websites but they all seem pretty pricey.

If I were to setup a NAS at home, would it be easy to setup a nightly rsync backup to it?

Would it make it easier if the NAS at home was Synology or could I go for a different make as Synology NAS's are fairly pricey.

As long as the home NAS is bigger or same size it shouldn't matter there's alot of setup from the home side though and alot of routes which they can be done you would need at least a server and a nas at home or just maybe a very smart nas, it's probably not your best option though as realisticly you'd probably need a leased line or a very very good home internet package to get this done, have you considered any other options, such as running daily/weekly backups locally and taking them away in the evenings, would be alot cheaper, remote replication is a VERY expensive process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

There's a ton of free opensource tools you could use here -

http://clonezilla.org/

Clonezilla, based on DRBL, Partition Image, ntfsclone, partclone, and udpcast, allows you to do bare metal backup and recovery. Two types of Clonezilla are available, Clonezilla live and Clonezilla SE (server edition). Clonezilla live is suitable for single machine backup and restore. While Clonezilla SE is for massive deployment, it can clone many (40 plus!) computers simultaneously. Clonezilla saves and restores only used blocks in the harddisk. This increases the clone efficiency. At the NCHC’s Classroom C, Clonezilla SE was used to clone 41 computers simultaneously. It took only about 10 minutes to clone a 5.6 GBytes system image to all 41 computers via multicasting!

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

rsync is an open source utility that synchronizes files and directories from one location to another while minimizing data transfer using delta encoding when appropriate. An important feature of rsync not found in most similar programs/protocols is that the mirroring takes place with only one transmission in each direction. rsync can copy or display directory contents and copy files, optionally using compression and recursion.

http://www.nongnu.org/duplicity/

Duplicity backs directories by producing encrypted tar-format volumes and uploading them to a remote or local file server. Because duplicity uses librsync, the incremental archives are space efficient and only record the parts of files that have changed since the last backup. Because duplicity uses GnuPG to encrypt and/or sign these archives, they will be safe from spying and/or modification by the server.

http://www.bacula.org/en/

Bacula is a set of Open Source, enterprise ready, computer programs that permit you (or the system administrator) to manage backup, recovery, and verification of computer data across a network of computers of different kinds. Bacula is relatively easy to use and efficient, while offering many advanced storage management features that make it easy to find and recover lost or damaged files. In technical terms, it is an Open Source, enterprise ready, network based backup program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Sposs wrote: »
    There's a ton of free opensource tools you could use here -

http://clonezilla.org/

Clonezilla, based on DRBL, Partition Image, ntfsclone, partclone, and udpcast, allows you to do bare metal backup and recovery. Two types of Clonezilla are available, Clonezilla live and Clonezilla SE (server edition). Clonezilla live is suitable for single machine backup and restore. While Clonezilla SE is for massive deployment, it can clone many (40 plus!) computers simultaneously. Clonezilla saves and restores only used blocks in the harddisk. This increases the clone efficiency. At the NCHC’s Classroom C, Clonezilla SE was used to clone 41 computers simultaneously. It took only about 10 minutes to clone a 5.6 GBytes system image to all 41 computers via multicasting!

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

rsync is an open source utility that synchronizes files and directories from one location to another while minimizing data transfer using delta encoding when appropriate. An important feature of rsync not found in most similar programs/protocols is that the mirroring takes place with only one transmission in each direction. rsync can copy or display directory contents and copy files, optionally using compression and recursion.

http://www.nongnu.org/duplicity/

Duplicity backs directories by producing encrypted tar-format volumes and uploading them to a remote or local file server. Because duplicity uses librsync, the incremental archives are space efficient and only record the parts of files that have changed since the last backup. Because duplicity uses GnuPG to encrypt and/or sign these archives, they will be safe from spying and/or modification by the server.

http://www.bacula.org/en/

Bacula is a set of Open Source, enterprise ready, computer programs that permit you (or the system administrator) to manage backup, recovery, and verification of computer data across a network of computers of different kinds. Bacula is relatively easy to use and efficient, while offering many advanced storage management features that make it easy to find and recover lost or damaged files. In technical terms, it is an Open Source, enterprise ready, network based backup program.

Thanks Sposs. I'll add these to the handy links.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

A colleague recommended tarsnap.com to me recently. It's made to be the same as the tar command-line application for unix/linux, except any archive you create is backed up to the online backup service. It also will only copy new or extra data as required, so you're not wasting bandwidth.

I'm using it on a (personal) server of mine and I also wrote a couple of cron-scripts to do nightly backups, a cleanup to remove any archives older than 2 weeks (so that I always have upto 2 weeks of versions available but don't use unnecessary storage space) and a weekly cron to email me the list of backed up archives.

The actual file storage for it is done via Amazon S3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Viper_JB wrote: »
    As long as the home NAS is bigger or same size it shouldn't matter there's alot of setup from the home side though and alot of routes which they can be done you would need at least a server and a nas at home or just maybe a very smart nas, it's probably not your best option though as realisticly you'd probably need a leased line or a very very good home internet package to get this done, have you considered any other options, such as running daily/weekly backups locally and taking them away in the evenings, would be alot cheaper, remote replication is a VERY expensive process.
    Would it really be that much of a problem?
    I'd probably have maybe 1 or 2 gigs to back up (incrementally) every night. I've a 7mb connection in the office and a 3mb connection at home.
    Does eircom have a fair usage policy?
    Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Mozy would be ideal but because its a NAS, I need to backup through rsync. Enterprse Mozy would work out way too expensive.
    There doesn't seem to be any cheap rsync backup services around :(
    kdouglas wrote: »
    A colleague recommended tarsnap.com to me recently. It's made to be the same as the tar command-line application for unix/linux, except any archive you create is backed up to the online backup service. It also will only copy new or extra data as required, so you're not wasting bandwidth.

I'm using it on a (personal) server of mine and I also wrote a couple of cron-scripts to do nightly backups, a cleanup to remove any archives older than 2 weeks (so that I always have upto 2 weeks of versions available but don't use unnecessary storage space) and a weekly cron to email me the list of backed up archives.

The actual file storage for it is done via Amazon S3

That looks good but too pricy for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Have you tried any of the Irish aniline backup companies?

KeepITsafe
    Savenet solutions

We use them both and have found the service + costs quite reasonable.

So much so, we are now thinking of trialling a much large backup set, 500Gb per night. (Seemingly you do a Disk to Disk to get the information up, and then its just incremental from there).

You can also set your backup policies and do detailed retention periods etc

Worth looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Jimbo wrote: »
    Would it really be that much of a problem?
    I'd probably have maybe 1 or 2 gigs to back up (incrementally) every night. I've a 7mb connection in the office and a 3mb connection at home.
    Does eircom have a fair usage policy?

It'd definitly be worth a try even if you firstly try backing up to a pc at home to save on buying the equipment out right to discover it would not be suitable, Eircom do have a fair usage alright buy depends on if you have a business line or not they're very relaxed on the business lines cap-wise. Does your business have 7mb upload aswell as downlaod? (I know the majority of eircom products would offer a much smaller upload speed then the download)

There's alot of points of failure in the equation, almost too many for mission critical data. I'm not too sure there's any cheap option for this outside of maybe....tape backups - which are the devil and would still require you to physically take them away...which could be done to disk but disks don't like being moved so much.

Advertisement