Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy:Rooney the best player since Pele

• 17-02-2010 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭

Dunphy has just proclaimed Live on RTE that Rooney is the best player since Pele and has surpassed Maradona.
    I think I've heard it all now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Crisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

hes a puffball tbh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

And Giles says Beckham will playing right back till he is sixty. Might be a place for him on Des's team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Dunphy has just proclaimed Live on RTE that Rooney is the best player since Pele and has surpassed Maradona.
    I think I've heard it all now.

He says he believes he will be the best player since Pelé, didn't say he is the best player since Pelé.

[x] Difference
    [ ] No Difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

bit crazy alright. i would say he's playing the best in the world at the moment though. He's unstoppable right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the man always speaks alot of sense

same with Ronnie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Frisbee wrote: »
    He says he believes he will be the best player since Pelé, didn't say he is the best player since Pelé.

[x] Difference
    [ ] No Difference

He said he is the best player since Pelé.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That Messi lad ain't bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

He's a funny guy.
    I don't rate any of his opinions tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

spent a half hour speaking about manure when its the arsenal game their covering???WTF

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dunphy said it, why do you care?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

davyjose wrote: »
    bit crazy alright. i would say he's playing the best in the world at the moment though. He's unstoppable right now.

There's a guy called Cristiano Ronaldo who is playing better than Rooney at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Frisbee wrote: »

[x] Difference
    [ ] No Difference

No ,he said he is the best.
    Bill said to Eamonn that some time ago he said Rooney would be the new Pele and Eamonn then pronounced he is better than Pele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    There's a guy called Cristiano Ronaldo who is playing better than Rooney at the moment.

Nope. Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Lads a bit disrespectful to Beckham imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Rooney is a better player than Ronaldo, and there haven't been many better. Dunphy talks a lot of crap, but he's closer to the mark than people realise on this. Rooney sacrificed so much in previous seasons to allow Ronaldo get on the end of things, he did all the spade work, all the harrying to create space. He is the complete forward tbh, very few so blessed with such a combination of strength and technique, he is very very hard to defend against. Now with Ronaldo out of the picture we're finally beginning to see the player Rooney can really be.

Dunphy said it, why do you care?

Because its an outrageously unbalanced statement.
    Reminds me of Dr Evil's father
    He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Lads a bit disrespectful to Beckham imo.
    Agree 100%

Well I have no hesitation in saying Rooney is better than Ronaldo ever was for United. The difference: Rooney doesn't have Rooney doing all the donkey work for him, like ronaldo did. Ronaldo was class, but Rooney made him look better.

And I have my doubts that Ronaldo is anywhere near as good as he was a couple of seasons ago. So I'd respectfully disagree with you.

Messi and Ronaldo are incredible, but right now nobody is dominating, nor dragging their team to victory like Rooney is. He doesn't have a Xavi/Iniesta or a Kaka playing with him either.

Rooney is a better player than Ronaldo, and there haven't been many better. Dunphy talks a lot of crap, but he's closer to the mark than people realise on this. Rooney sacrificed so much in previous seasons to allow Ronaldo get on the end of things, he did all the spade work, all the harrying to create space. He is the complete forward tbh, very few so blessed with such a combination of strength and technique, he is very very hard to defend against. Now with Ronaldo out of the picture we're finally beginning to see the player Rooney can really be.

Silly.

Rooney didn't simply "sacrifice", Rooney was told to sacrifice by SAF, because Ronaldo was the best player on that team. Simple as that.

• Advertisement

Well I have no hesitation in saying Rooney is better than Ronaldo ever was for United. The difference: Rooney doesn't have Rooney doing all the donkey work for him, like ronaldo did. Ronaldo was class, but Rooney made him look better.

And I have my doubts that Ronaldo is anywhere near as good as he was a couple of seasons ago. So I'd respectfully disagree with you.

Messi and Ronaldo are incredible, but right now nobody is dominating, nor dragging their team to victory like Rooney is. He doesn't have a Xavi/Iniesta or a Kaka playing with him either.

Haha, well then you're changing the rules. I thought best player was ability wise(aka Messi). Fabregas carries Arsenal but it doesn't make him the best in the world.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Haha, well then you're changing the rules. I thought best player was ability wise(aka Messi). Fabregas carries Arsenal but it doesn't make him the best in the world.

How am I changing the rules? Rooney is playing the best football in the world. If ability was the only factor then ronaldinho would be the world's best every time. Arsenall aren't being led by Fabregas in the same way united are - Cesc doesn't have 25 goals this season. And Fabregas IS one of the best in the world anyway.

Rooney is a better player than Ronaldo, and there haven't been many better.

Ronaldo is faster,a far superior dribbler,a better header of the ball,has a better left foot and is a more efficient finisher .And thats only Cristiano Ronaldo .

How am I changing the rules? Rooney is playing the best football in the world. If ability was the only factor then ronaldinho would be the world's best every time. Arsenall aren't being led by Fabregas in the same way united are - Cesc doesn't have 25 goals this season. And Fabregas IS one of the best in the world anyway.

So Rooney is playing better than Ronaldo because Ronaldo has team mates with more ability? Is that what you are saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Eamo is a legend though he must have been smoking crack prior to making that comment

You're changing the rules because you said Rooney is the only one dragging his team like this whereas Messi is just a sprinkle on the top of the Barca magic. You're justifying things with mitigating circumstances for your own means. I don't really rate C.Ronaldo, but are United better without him, their league position doesn't look that way.

Silly.

Rooney didn't simply "sacrifice", Rooney was told to sacrifice by SAF, because Ronaldo was the best player on that team. Simple as that.

Wrong, if we'd have had it the other way round, Ronaldo would have been totally ineffective - it was the only way SAF felt he could get the best out of players (personally I disagreed strongly with how he played Rooney for 3 years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

silly statement from dunphy. however-when rooney emerged and made the move to united, i genuinely thought we were looking at potentially the best player in the world, however, for one reason or another, i don't think he quite lived up to that initial potential, while still being very very good, i don't think he was ever amazing. that is, until this season when he has finally lived up to his potential imo. i don't buy the 'he sacrificed himself for the team' line, true to an extent, but he has also just improved massively. a case in point is, i remember a couple of seasons ago him talking about how he was poor in the air and had not scored from a header for united. look at him now, i'd hazard a guess 10 of his goals are from headers and he has improved dramatically, he just has a great attitude towards the game and wants to get better and better. Skies the limit for him to be honest, however, if he wants to a true great, he needs to keep up the level he is at NOW,not revert back to how he has been in the last number of seasons.

• Advertisement

Rooney = over rated diver. :)
    *runs away*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Any United fan who knew anything about soccer would have told you they'd have chosen Rooney over Ronaldo any day of the week, even in Ronaldo's epic 40+ goal season. The heart and soul of team. He's fast becoming the greatest player I have ever seen in a United shirt, he's that good ( and I rarely throw superlatives about soccer players unless they're deserved).

You're changing the rules because you said Rooney is the only one dragging his team like this whereas Messi is just a sprinkle on the top of the Barca magic.

i never said that - you're putting words in my mouth. If you look at United's position, we're still performing without CR. that's down to the fact that Rooney has taken a lot on his shoulders. Messi is amazing, but he's not doing that. you have to give Rooney credit where due. Plus he's banged in 25 goals, and united are sitting 1 point off the top of the league (not much different to a year ago).

At least, i've given you my reasons why I think Rooney is the best in the world right now, whether you agree or not. You're telling me I'm wrong, but you're not telling me why Messi, or A.N. Other is???

Rooney = over rated diver. :)
    *runs away*

:rolleyes:

you should have written this earlier in the thread; I wouldn't have wasted my time arguing with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

You're changing the rules because you said Rooney is the only one dragging his team like this whereas Messi is just a sprinkle on the top of the Barca magic.

Well, tbf, a team with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Bojan, Henry, Ibrahimovic and Yaya Touré aren't going to fail without Messi.

i never said that - you're putting words in my mouth. If you look at United's position, we're still performing without CR. that's down to the fact that Rooney has taken a lot on his shoulders. Messi is amazing, but he's not doing that. you have to give Rooney credit where due. Plus he's banged in 25 goals, and united are sitting 1 point off the top of the league (not much different to a year ago).

At least, i've given you my reasons why I think Rooney is the best in the world right now, whether you agree or not. You're telling me I'm wrong, but you're not telling me why Messi, or A.N. Other is???

Yes you've given reasons, and Dunphy has his. But to me the best player is on ability, not if the team around them is any good. What is Messi "not doing" exactly? Being top goal scorer in La Liga?

• Advertisement

Dunphy does it again,

Gets people arguing about what he says on RTE and therefore tuning in to see what controversial statement he will come out with next.

Genius.

:rolleyes:

you should have written this earlier in the thread; I wouldn't have wasted my time arguing with you.

Haha, that was your argument for why Dunphy is right?

baz2009 wrote: »
    Well, tbf, a team with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Bojan, Henry, Ibrahimovic and Yaya Touré aren't going to fail without Messi.

*sigh*

And Pele single handedly won those World Cups. That Garrincha lad was useless.:rolleyes:

Calling Rooney an Overrated diver in a conversation discussing the merits of one of the best players in the world. Is immature and stupid, and it's trolling. Not going to waste my time on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

baz2009 wrote: »

Well, tbf, a team with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Bojan, Henry, Ibrahimovic and Yaya Touré would have won Fcuk all without Messi.

(last season)

• Advertisement

Wrong, if we'd have had it the other way round, Ronaldo would have been totally ineffective - it was the only way SAF felt he could get the best out of players (personally I disagreed strongly with how he played Rooney for 3 years)

He did it to get the best out of his best player, Ronaldo. And it worked, look how well they did with Rooney out of position. Rooney did a great job, don't get me wrong, but Ronaldo was miles out on front as the main man. He practically dragged United to two champs league finals.

Rooney is playing very well this season ,there's no doubt about that and he is a fine player but he is not a great player.
    He doesnt have the necessary turn of pace ,acceleration or dribbling skills of great players and when marked tightly he can be snuffed out quite easily.
    In fact he gets frustrated as evidenced by his behaviour last night where he was fortunate to stay on the pitch before scoring his goals when the Milan defence went to sleep.

Calling Rooney an Overrated diver in a conversation discussing the merits of one of the best players in the world. Is immature and stupid, and it's trolling. Not going to waste my time on it.

Sensitive, not a Manchester United fan are ya?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

redout wrote: »
    Well, tbf, a team with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Bojan, Henry, Ibrahimovic and Yaya Touré would have won Fcuk all without Messi.

(last season)

And wouldn't be 1st in La Liga without him this season either. I actually hate how these debates run, people have already belittled Messi by saying he has more skilled team mates. How about the fact Messi's as prolific now as Rooney despite him not being a striker? Rooney has been better this season overall, but that could all change in the next few months, and imo Rooney only has the edge in his work rate, physicality, and heading ability. Messi is the better player in every other respect.

I remember about 5 years ago people debating whether youngster Rooney or Messi would turn into the better player. This is just the second stage in that argument, except 5 years ago the majority agreed Rooney was the better prospect, I'd hazard a guess and say nowadays Lionel has the upperhand in what he's proved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,564 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Dunphy does it again,

Gets people arguing about what he says on RTE and therefore tuning in to see what controversial statement he will come out with next.

Genius.

I do like Dunphy for his dramatic statements and unpredicatbility.

So much better than the terrible coverage on TV3 last night.

As for Rooney, he's playing great alright, not quite sure if he's up there with Pele, Maradona, Zidane & Kilbane, but he's still young and will keep improving.

He's certainly the best player around at the moment (I'm a 'Pool fan BTW)and for me contributes much more than Ronaldo did in his Utd days.

Frightening to think what he could be like in 4 years if he keeps improving.

Just hope he has a terrible World Cup!:)

murpho999 wrote: »

And knocks his confidence as a result :confused:

Edit: ah see you are a Liverpool fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,564 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

OPENROAD wrote: »
    And knocks his confidence as a result :confused:

Edit: ah see you are a Liverpool fan

no, I just don't want England to win it. He can have a bad WC and not have his confidence affected, depends how the team around him play!

Also, I can just imagine the English media hype about him if he does play well, just like the Beckham metatarsal drama in the build up to 2002 WC.

I do like Dunphy for his dramatic statements and unpredicatbility.

So much better than the terrible coverage on TV3 last night.

As for Rooney, he's playing great alright, not quite sure if he's up there with Pele, Maradona, Zidane & Kilbane, but he's still young and will keep improving.

He's certainly the best player around at the moment (I'm a 'Pool fan BTW)and for me contributes much more than Ronaldo did in his Utd days.

Frightening to think what he could be like in 4 years if he keeps improving.

Dunphy's great, sure look at the comotion he has caused on boards since he came out with that statement !

I didn't see a thread like this about something Cascarino or Lennon said last night!

As for Rooney, he's the one united player I really enjoy watching. The guy has everything and is mentored by the best in the business.

He has a while to go to beat Pelé's reported 1280 goals in 1363 apps though ;)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Dunphy's great, sure look at the comotion he has caused on boards since he came out with that statement !

I didn't see a thread like this about something Cascarino or Lennon said last night!

As for Rooney, he's the one united player I really enjoy watching. The guy has everything and is mentored by the best in the business.
    He has a while to go to beat Pelé's reported 1280 goals in 1363 apps though ;)

Mickey O?

no, I just don't want England to win it. He can have a bad WC and not have his confidence affected, depends how the team around him play!

Also, I can just imagine the English media hype about him if he does play well, just like the Beckham metatarsal drama in the build up to 2002 WC.

Bit like our own ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement