Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy:Rooney the best player since Pele

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

When did people start taking eamonn dunphy seriously?

Rooney is playing his best stuff at the moment. To even mention him in the same breath as maradona and zidane?????.......well, thats just 'blowhole' journo talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,564 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Bit like our own ;)

Sorry....don't get ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Right now, at this very moment, I'd say Rooney is the world's best. I'd put Messi a very close second.

What impresses me most about him is the fact that most of his stellar performances this season have come from being on his own up front. I think if we compare him to other top players, Messi, Ronaldo, Drogba, etc, then we see these guys have other world class players around them who can lighten the load and thus they have not as big a burden on their shoulders as he does.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Mickey O?

Eh? :confused:

Was talking about Mr Ferguson

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry....don't get ya?

Our media :)

Right now, at this very moment, I'd say Rooney is the world's best. I'd put Messi a very close second.

What impresses me most about him is the fact that most of his stellar performances this season have come from being on his own up front. I think if we compare him to other top players, Messi, Ronaldo, Drogba, etc, then we see these guys have other world class players around them who can lighten the load and thus they have not as big a burden on their shoulders as he does.

Certainly has come into his own since Ronaldo left, having a great season, would say he is nailed on for player of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ronaldo is faster,a far superior dribbler,a better header of the ball,has a better left foot and is a more efficient finisher .And thats only Cristiano Ronaldo .

Rooney is a better tackler, Rooney is stronger, Rooney is more tactically aware, Rooney presses better, Rooney's game was more rounded tbh and he links up with his team mates better. He's not quite the goal threat Ronaldo is, but Rooney has a much more rounded game than Ronaldo imo. Ronaldo can't play CB, Rooney can. Ronaldo can't play CM, Rooney can.

At the end of the day, Ronaldo wouldn't have had the opportunity to score 40 goals a season for United if Rooney wasn't on the pitch to create the space and chances for him. Some value the finisher more, I respect that as an opinion, but I think Rooney made the better all round contribution and I would want Rooney over Ronaldo every single day of the week tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Ush1 wrote: »
    Sensitive, not a Manchester United fan are ya?;)

It's irrelevant. Trolling is trolling. It's not a big deal, but i've seriously better things to do than argue with you. I had a feeling when you tried twisting my words, that was your attitude. Now i know.

No hard feelings etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Rooney is a better tackler, Rooney is stronger, Rooney is more tactically aware, Rooney presses better, Rooney's game was more rounded tbh and he links up with his team mates better. He's not quite the goal threat Ronaldo is, but Rooney has a much more rounded game than Ronaldo imo. Ronaldo can't play CB, Rooney can. Ronaldo can't play CM, Rooney can.

At the end of the day, Ronaldo wouldn't have had the opportunity to score 40 goals a season for United if Rooney wasn't on the pitch to create the space and chances for him. Some value the finisher more, I respect that as an opinion, but I think Rooney made the better all round contribution and I would want Rooney over Ronaldo every single day of the week tbh.

By that logic John O'Shea is one of the best players in the world today.

Ronaldo's goalscoring is showing no signs of slowing up and he's already got 6 in the champions league. All this without Rooneys world class tracking back.

Fukk who can play in the most positions. In a Champions League final i would take Ronaldo in his best position over Rooney in his best position. Any day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I don't know about him being the best player since Pele, but he definitely could be the best player in the world now and probably will be an all time great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It never cease to amaze me how people still listen to Dunphy. If only I could harness his power for good, or for me even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It's funny, when Eamo and John were giving Ronaldo stick back in the day Utd. Fans were outraged now he's gone they're belittling his impact on the team to try and justify Eamo's latest claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

It's funny, when Eamo and John were giving Ronaldo stick back in the day Utd. Fans were outraged now he's gone they're belittling his impact on the team to try and justify Eamo's latest claim.

It's even funnier that people are reading what they want to in other peoples posts. Even stuff that isn't there.

Nobody is debating ronaldo's quality or importance to united. What they are saying is that he had a very good team-mate facilitating him. Rooney is doing what Ronaldo did, only he's got Fletcher to help him.

Edit: it's not a slight on CR, nor is it a criticism of Messi, or anyone else. It's merely underlining how impressive Rooney has actually been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

eZe^ wrote: »
    And wouldn't be 1st in La Liga without him this season either. I actually hate how these debates run, people have already belittled Messi by saying he has more skilled team mates. How about the fact Messi's as prolific now as Rooney despite him not being a striker? Rooney has been better this season overall, but that could all change in the next few months, and imo Rooney only has the edge in his work rate, physicality, and heading ability. Messi is the better player in every other respect.

I remember about 5 years ago people debating whether youngster Rooney or Messi would turn into the better player. This is just the second stage in that argument, except 5 years ago the majority agreed Rooney was the better prospect, I'd hazard a guess and say nowadays Lionel has the upperhand in what he's proved.

Sense alert!
    Wow wow wow now. What you're saying may all be true but on an irish message board dominated by Irish Manchester United/EPL fans with an English warrior(Pat Dolan voice) like Rooney playing, he must be the best in the world. Only little rubbish players play in that silly old Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

World's best

Messi
    Rooney
    Ronaldo

at the moment in form.

• Advertisement

By that logic John O'Shea is one of the best players in the world today.

Ronaldo's goalscoring is showing no signs of slowing up and he's already got 6 in the champions league. All this without Rooneys world class tracking back.

Fukk who can play in the most positions. In a Champions League final i would take Ronaldo in his best position over Rooney in his best position. Any day!

That's an exceptionally literal interpretation of my post tbh. I know better dribblers than Rooney irl who never made it past trials, does that make them better players than him?

I can't comment on how Real play so I'm not going to comment on that. But in relation to how United play, they were a team with a limited RB and a team with a very limited midfield compared to the rest of Europe so it's not comparing like for like. Ronaldo at Real has Alonso, Diarra and Kaka to create chances for him. A considerably more creative trio than Scholes, Carrick and Fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

World's best

Messi
    Rooney
    Ronaldo

at the moment in form.

Didier-Drogba_1081957.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Dunphy also slated Seamus Heaney, John Hume etc. Prone to the odd mad statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ronaldo is a huge loss to the Utd team and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.
    He has scored 17 goals in 17 games for Real this season and is a gamewinner.
    So far this season Rooney is carrying the can for a deteriorating team and if Rooneys goals were to dry up ,I can see people crying and saying why did we sell Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Im suprised people are focusing on whether Rooney is the best player in the world right now. Dunphy's suggestion is that Rooney is probably the second best player of all time

Thats more of a statement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Say what you like about the RTE boys but the level of debate we're getting about finances in football is light years ahead of anything you'll get on any other channel.

Except Ronnie Whelan, hes just a pure sham of an analyst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

flahavaj wrote: »
    Say what you like about the RTE boys but the level of debate we're getting about finances in football is light years ahead of anything you'll get on any other channel.

yap it was very good

and Roonie made a good point in the end there

Very refreshing and honest analysis.
    For once Dunphy is talking alot of sense.
    As long as people are willing to pay outrageous amounts of money to Sky to subsidise footballers obscene wages there will be no improvement in footballing finances.

Except Ronnie Whelan, hes just a pure sham of an analyst.

Please God Liam Brady comes back

For once Dunphy is talking alot of sense.

Dunphy's a smart bastard tbh. He plays the controversial card whether it's right or wrong because RTE want the debate. He has his role and he plays it to a tee whether people realise it or not. Afterall the debate is the only thing RTÉ have going for them against the tech available to Sky or the big names of the BBC. They are still the only channel in Ireland or Britain where the article in the papers tomorrow is as likely to be about the analysis as it is the actual game, and for that they have to be commended.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

hopefully we can get some sort of HD coverage so I can actually see the bile coming out of dunphy's mouth in exquisite 1080p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

FWIW, Messi and Fabregas are far better players. I'd also take Villa and Ibra ahead of Rooney if I was picking the best forwards.

I haven't listened to Dunphy in years but, from what people say, his comments are getting further from reality.

Rooney's having the season of his career but I still think there are currently better players out there and there have been dozens more in the thirty years since Pelé.

That's an exceptionally literal interpretation of my post tbh. I know better dribblers than Rooney irl who never made it past trials, does that make them better players than him?

I can't comment on how Real play so I'm not going to comment on that. But in relation to how United play, they were a team with a limited RB and a team with a very limited midfield compared to the rest of Europe so it's not comparing like for like. Ronaldo at Real has Alonso, Diarra and Kaka to create chances for him. A considerably more creative trio than Scholes, Carrick and Fletcher.

It's a bit sneaky to try to downplay a great players ability by saying he's playing in a team with better players. But if you wish to apply that logic then why not apply it to when Ronaldo was playing in a United team with pretty much the same limitations and Rooney running around like a headless chicken?

Only Rooney could be hailed as an all-rounder for running around like an absolute lunatic. It's no coincidence that he's looking a lot better since he cut that out of his game.

Dunphy's a smart bastard tbh. He plays the controversial card whether it's right or wrong because RTE want the debate. He has his role and he plays it to a tee whether people realise it or not. Afterall the debate is the only thing RTÉ have going for them against the tech available to Sky or the big names of the BBC. They are still the only channel in Ireland or Britain where the article in the papers tomorrow is as likely to be about the analysis as it is the actual game, and for that they have to be commended.

Very true,I think himself and Bill rehearse what controversial topic he will talk about .
    Bill always prompts him .
    Its good stuff ,far better than the anemic guff on BBC and Sky.
    The pundits across the sea are afraid that they might offend the players so they praise them all.
    Messr Hansen states that everything is "absolutely magnificent" when in fact its most likely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

FWIW, Messi and Fabregas are far better players. I'd also take Villa and Ibra ahead of Rooney if I was picking the best forwards.

I haven't listened to Dunphy in years but, from what people say, his comments are getting further from reality.

Rooney's having the season of his career but I still think there are currently better players out there and there have been dozens more in the thirty years since Pelé.

Whatever about Messi, Fabregas is not better than Rooney. Villa is not a better forward - not at the moment anyway - and Ibrahimovic isnt fit to lace his boots.

• Advertisement

Archimedez wrote: »
    Whatever about Messi, Fabregas is not better than Rooney. Villa is not a better forward - not at the moment anyway - and Ibrahimovic isnt fit to lace his boots.
    Rooney best player since Pele? better than Maradonna? Better than Messi. Wouldnt think so. He is doing well at the moment but wouldn't place him above those two

Rooney best player since Pele? better than Maradonna? Better than Messi. Wouldnt think so. He is doing well at the moment but wouldn't place him above those two

Jesus Christ, I never said anything about him being better than Maradona or Pele. Do you actually read posts or do you just get high on acid, generate random sentences and press enter? Seriously, what the hell is your problem??

Villa is not a better forward - not at the moment anyway - and Ibrahimovic isnt fit to lace his boots.
    How often have you seen these two play?

Ibra isn't the same kind of forward so they are hard to compare but he has been nothing but impressive for Barca anytime I've seen him this season.

Imo, Villa is the best Spanish forward at the moment. He can finish and he can create chances for others. If you watch him play, you'll see how hard he works and how he is more than just a great goal scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Rooney is a great footballer and has the potential to be one of the best. He is still a young guy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Villa is not a better forward - not at the moment anyway

Villa has scored over 20 a season for 8 season in a row, 8 seasons, 2 away from doing it for his 9th in a row.

It doesn't take a genius to tell you who's playing for the better team either, Villa is more clinical, maybe when you say "at the moment" you mean over the last 2 months or so, but other than that Villa as a striker is in a different League to Rooney.

Jesus Christ, I never said anything about him being better than Maradona or Pele. Do you actually read posts or do you just get high on acid, generate random sentences and press enter? Seriously, what the hell is your problem??
    I didnt say you did. I was saying that i didnt he was better than Maradonna or Messi which as such defeats Dunphys argument

Ibra isn't the same kind of forward so they are hard to compare but he has been nothing but impressive for Barca anytime I've seen him this season.

Imo, Villa is the best Spanish forward at the moment. He can finish and he can create chances for others. If you watch him play, you'll see how hard he works and how he is more than just a great goal scorer.

I cant stand Ibrahimovic. He's a forward for the youtube generation, and is probably the most guilty footballer out there of not showing up in big games. As for Villa, I agree that he is as good if not better than Torres, and up until this season Id have rated him as a better striker than Rooney, but Rooney has elevated himself to a hgher level this season. Id take him over Villa any day of the week, but hey, thats the joy of opinions ;)

Agreed, and I do rate Rooney. Villas natural skill and finishing though is ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ill have to disagree, there is a certain spanish forward at Liverpool who IMO is a far superior player

• Advertisement

I didnt say you did. I was saying that i didnt he was better than Maradonna or Messi which as such defeats Dunphys argument

Why did you quote me then, and reply to absolutely nothing I had said?

Only Rooney could be hailed as an all-rounder for running around like an absolute lunatic. It's no coincidence that he's looking a lot better since he cut that out of his game.

To be ridiculously blunt here, if all you saw was Rooney running around like a headless chicken then you have absolutely no footballing brain.

He pressed defenders which caused errors that Ronaldo could capitalize on. He dropped deep to drag defenders out of position so Ronaldo could run in behind. He made diagonal runs so that Ronaldo could enter the box unmarked. He did the hold up play so Ronaldo could capitalise on the knockdown/throughball. And not to mention he did that while scoring round 20 goals a season and creating another 10-15 (if memory serves).

Ronaldo scores goals. Rooney scores, creates, presses and defends. Both excellent players, but I value Rooney's contribution to the overall team more.

And yes, the team you play with make a massive difference! What an utterly ridiculous statement to make...

mayordenis wrote: »
    Villa has scored over 20 a season for 8 season in a row, 8 seasons, 2 away from doing it for his 9th in a row.

It doesn't take a genius to tell you who's playing for the better team either, Villa is more clinical, maybe when you say "at the moment" you mean over the last 2 months or so, but other than that Villa as a striker is in a different League to Rooney.

That's why I said at the moment. Look at my last post, I rated Villa higher than Rooney up until this season, from when Rooney has been the much better player (granted, Ive only seen a handful of Valencia games) but Rooney this season is at a similar level to Ronaldo 07/08.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Dunphy does it again,

Gets people arguing about what he says on RTE and therefore tuning in to see what controversial statement he will come out with next.

Genius.
    Theres only one person on the planet thats better at getting lots of relatively cheap advertising out of controversial statements. Michael O Leary.

While Rooney is and always has been an excellent player, he has a long way to go to be regarded as better than the true legends. He does have lots of time on his side though.
    The whole Rooney/Ronaldo debate is pointless as United fans will come down on Rooneys side 100% of the time, despite it not being entirely correct.

Lets not forget, a few months ago Dunphy said:

"Arsenal are like Barcelona, only BETTER!"

I cant stand Ibrahimovic. He's a forward for the youtube generation, and is probably the most guilty footballer out there of not showing up in big games.
    Scored the winner in his first El Clasico. There's hardly a bigger game for Barca players and fans alike.
    Melion wrote:
    Ill have to disagree, there is a certain spanish forward at Liverpool who IMO is a far superior player
    When fit, Torres is a top-class finisher but Villa is a better all-round forward.

• Advertisement

To be ridiculously blunt here, if all you saw was Rooney running around like a headless chicken then you have absolutely no footballing brain.

He pressed defenders which caused errors that Ronaldo could capitalize on. He dropped deep to drag defenders out of position so Ronaldo could run in behind. He made diagonal runs so that Ronaldo could enter the box unmarked. He did the hold up play so Ronaldo could capitalise on the knockdown/throughball. And not to mention he did that while scoring round 20 goals a season and creating another 10-15 (if memory serves).

Ronaldo scores goals. Rooney scores, creates, presses and defends. Both excellent players, but I value Rooney's contribution to the overall team more.

And yes, the team you play with make a massive difference! What an utterly ridiculous statement to make...

You are misrepresenting me.

I never said Rooney didn't do good things that Ronaldo benefited from, that would be ridiculous. A lot of what he did do was what you don't want from one of your most attacking minded players, and it neutered him to a large extent at times. But, because he's english and he did it well, it's praised.

I never said it doesn't matter who you play for, jesus christ! I said it's stupid to say player A is better than player B because player A is playing very well in a poorer team. That is stupid logic and could be used to discredit pretty much any great player of the last 20 years.

Applying your logic Villa is better than Rooney. But Villa hasn't tested himself in the Champions League? I know! Isn't he great!

Poor example, as i do think Villa is better than Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Dunphy has just proclaimed Live on RTE that Rooney is the best player since Pele and has surpassed Maradona.
    I think I've heard it all now.

Ah, I see Dunphy has moved on from being a sychophantic c*** towards Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Who would the candidates for players who truly were legends since Pele;

Diego
    Ronaldo
    Zidane
    Henry
    Laudrup
    Romario
    Rivaldo
    Maldini
    Cafu
    Ronaldinho (arguable)

That's a pretty elite list.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Who would the candidates for players who truly were legends since Pele;

Diego
    Ronaldo
    Zidane
    Henry
    Laudrup
    Romario
    Rivaldo
    Maldini
    Cafu
    Ronaldinho (arguable)

That's a pretty elite list.

Serious lack of Giggs and Cantona, or does the EPL not count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd add Portugeese fella Ronaldo too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement