Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy:Rooney the best player since Pele

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

kryogen wrote: »
    Rooney was always more important to the team but Ronny was always the better individual, everyone actually knows this

both exceptionally gifted players especially when you considered their ages

whats this thread about again? top 5 strikers in the world now or something?

Utd probably wouldn't have won anything the past 3 years if it wasn't for Ronaldo. He was and is a more valuable player than Rooney. Rooney is going through a hot streak atm and is undoubtably a world-class player but people are over-reacting. 3 months ago Drogba was getting lauded by everyone as the best striker in the League but since he was gone for January now its all about Rooney.

davyjose wrote: »
    Boggles the mind, tbh.

Any list that puts Ibra ahead of Drogba is laughable.

Either Ibrahimovic is the greatest illusionist of all time or he is one of the best players in the world. Why do people think he has been the world's top paid player for the past few seasons? Is he that good at fooling people? Currently he is the highest paid player in the world playing for the best club in the world. But ya he is **** :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Warper wrote: »
    Either Ibrahimovic is the greatest illusionist of all time or he is one of the best players in the world. Why do people think he has been the world's top paid player for the past few seasons? Is he that good at fooling people? Currently he is the highest paid player in the world playing for the best club in the world. But ya he is **** :rolleyes:

I always mix up the phrases 'I don't get the Ibra love' with 'I know nothing about football'.
    It's usually the diehard fans of premier league teams who don't rate him. These diehard bandwagonners get to see him about twice a year. The same people will go bananas if you say anything derogatory about one of 'their' players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I always mix up the phrases 'I don't get the Ibra love' with 'I know nothing about football'.
    It's usually the diehard fans of premier league teams who don't rate him. These diehard bandwagonners get to see him about twice a year. The same people will go bananas if you say anything derogatory about one of 'their' players.

He's one of the most inconsistent "top players" in world football. That's peoples problem with him. He's been in poor form lately - again - too. Didnt he just go something like 10 games/10 league games without a goal?

Archimedez wrote: »
    He's one of the most inconsistent "top players" in world football. That's peoples problem with him. He's been in poor form lately - again - too. Didnt he just go something like 10 games/10 league games without a goal?

Rooney has done this consistently throughout his career.

In fact, most strikers have. You have a bad spell. How you tell the great players from the not so great is how they respond to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Recoba was the best paid player in the world at one time but he was never close to being the best in the world. Not necessarily disagreeing about the quality of Ibra but using wages and transfer fees as a yardstick to measure quality can be easily shot to pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Rooney: 21 goals
    Drogba: 17 goals

Drogba doesn't take the penos, but he doesn't create the way Rooney does, he doesn't track-back, all in all he doesn't do as much as Rooney does. I think rooney has this season (so far) by a bit more than a toss-up.

He doesn't create? He has more assists than Rooney and is near the top of the assists table in the league. Do you even watch Drogba? He does a lot of work for the team and is not just about goalscoring. When Drogba wants to be he is the best center forward in the world.

As some one has said they have both been as important as each other for their respective teams.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Recoba was the best paid player in the world at one time but he was never close to being the best in the world. Not necessarily disagreeing about the quality of Ibra but using wages and transfer fees as a yardstick to measure quality can be easily shot to pieces.

Recoba was a tremendous player for most of his career.

Rooney missed a few games through injury didn't he - probably as many as Drogba missed for the ACoN.

Did he just miss one?, Rooney has played 25 premier league games this season and Drogba has played 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I never said he was ****. Get it right please. i said it's laughable to put him ahead of Drogba. I still think that.
    He's not the top payed player in the world (Ronny is), and nor does he deserve to be. He's not even the best player on his team (not even the 2nd best, IMO).
    I think he's a very good player. Excellent in Serie A, Ok in europe, and performing well for the best team in the world. A very very good player, but not best in the world, and not close to it.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    He doesn't create? He has more assists than Rooney and is near the top of the assists table in the league. Do you even watch Drogba?

I said he doesn't create to the level Rooney does. That's a personal opinion, but given the role Rooney has played for united over the last few years, that's not exactly a wild fantasy, now is it? Do you watch Rooney?

Rooney does more about the field, Johner, let's not argue about it. Drogba's a more lethal threat in front of goal, but Rooney is more creative around the park. Two quite different players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Dunphy also slated Seamus Heaney, John Hume etc. Prone to the odd mad statement.

nothing wrong with slating ppl that are over rated

oh, and ibra is incredible. if you think other wise you are incorrect. simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

In my humble opinion Fat Ronaldo was one of the best players since Pele and deserves to be on Eze^'s evergrowing list of great players.

Rooney has a way to go before reaching that level. However this is an argument that he himself would not like. He is a fantastic player I think everyone agrees on that. Any team would kill to have a guy who is willing to do anything for the team (eg play on the wing, do all the hard running tracking back etc). He is only 24(afaik) and beginning to mature into the much hyped world class striker he was touted at since he's been 16. He's made mistakes on and off the field, however he's really matured and grown up since and I have to say I really admire him.

I think its important to cherish the fact that instead of going Paul Gascgoine's (spelling :( ) direction in football...he really is proving to be the real deal and can only really be judged when his career is over.

I said he doesn't create to the level Rooney does. That's a personal opinion, but given the role Rooney has played for united over the last few years, that's not exactly a wild fantasy, now is it? Do you watch Rooney?

Rooney does more about the field, Johner, let's not argue about it. Drogba's a more lethal threat in front of goal, but Rooney is more creative around the park. Two quite different players.

Fair enough I respect your opinion.

I'm a little bias towards Drogba but on his day I don't think anyone can stop him. Same could be said for Rooney I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Kirnsy wrote: »
    In my humble opinion Fat Ronaldo was the best player since Pele and deserves to be on Eze^'s evergrowing list of great players.

FYP

If he stayed injury free, he would have been the greatest ever imo.He had everything and what came with the injuries seemed to effect his state of mind somewhat and kinda left a sour but funneh taste.Best forward i have ever seen and i was born before sky made the Premier league. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Pele was overrated anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

ah recoba as my fave player in pro evo for years when i was younger, he had such greta close control..

ok ok, so am i the only person that thinks that over the past 2/3 years iniesta has in fact been one of the top 5 players in the world?? seriously under rated player imo and was very close to being best player in the world for a couple of seasons now..not sayin he was the best, just that he was close to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

kryogen wrote: »
    Pele was overrated anyway

i am very curious as to how pele would fare in the modern day premier league alright..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Rooney's performance at the WC will make this debate all the more interesting.

He's probably the best player around at present but that was quite an outlandish, sensationalist statement by Dunphy. There is no greatest player ever or greatest player since Pele imo. There has however been many incredible footballers since Pele, including Rooney, and will continue to be in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Rooney: 21 goals
    Drogba: 17 goals

Drogba doesn't take the penos, but he doesn't create the way Rooney does, he doesn't track-back, all in all he doesn't do as much as Rooney does. I think rooney has this season (so far) by a bit more than a toss-up.
    Doesn't track back? You have no idea and probably only see Chelsea play when they play United. So many stupid comments in this thread like above.

The lack of Lampard and Drogba ITT is lol. Look at what Lampard has done from midfield. He is on his way to being 3rd in all time appearances (getting 1st/2nd would be near impossible) and could well end up all time leading Chelsea goalscorer. He needs 59, I wouldn't put it past him. He is currently 5th. He oozes class and is a top top player and probably won't b recognized properly as one til he retires. He is better than Scholes IMO (Who also deserves to be up there with the best)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

CHD wrote: »
    He is a top top player

Hi Jamie Redknapp

Doesn't track back? You have no idea and probably only see Chelsea play when they play United. So many stupid comments in this thread like above.

It's nearly as stupid as the irate Chelsea fans not reading the post properly, and then not looking at the explanation I gave to the last irate Chelsea fan, who didn't read the post properly, on my subsequent one.

I'll assume you've read back through it: Drogba does not track back as much as Rooney does. Simple as. I could watch Drogba play for the rest of my life and still I'd come to that conclusion. I wonder how often you've watched Rooney play so???

Edit: I have a massive respect for Drogba's abilities. But could he have filled the role Rooney did last season or the season before? I don't think so.

mormank wrote: »
    i am very curious as to how pele would fare in the modern day premier league alright..
    I think had grown up in this era, with the training, diet, coaching, his natural strength and God-given talent would still make him one of the greats, anyway.
    It begs the question, however, is he the yardstick we still need to measure players off. I believe Diego is the greatest ever. Not by a little bit either, but then, I seen him play - in the modern era.

It's nearly as stupid as the irate Chelsea fans not reading the post properly, and then not looking at the explanation I gave to the last irate Chelsea fan, who didn't read the post properly, on my subsequent one.

I'll assume you've read back through it: Drogba does not track back as much as Rooney does. Simple as. I could watch Drogba play for the rest of my life and still I'd come to that conclusion. I wonder how often you've watched Rooney play so???

Edit: I have a massive respect for Drogba's abilities. But could he have filled the role Rooney did last season or the season before? I don't think so.
    I've seen every Chelsea game and every United game that has been on except about 4 this season. Drogba does track back. I know he does, saying he doesn't is retarded because he does. When did I dispute Rooney doing it more? People using poxy comparisons and getting them wrong is laughable and really shows how little people actually know.

Also you say he doesn't create the way Rooney does. So what! He does it in different ways and is just as effective and probably better.

Drogba has a better goalscoring average in the league and more assists.He does track back and work for the team. Rooney is praised because he is English and plays for United. Nothing between at the moment. Two of them are setting the world alight. If one has been better it is Drogba.

Anyway, Drogba is one of the best since Pele and so is Lampard.

Recoba was a tremendous player for most of his career.

Doesn't really counter what I said.

Drogba is very creative. I think he has something like 9 assists in the PL this season already to Rooney's 4. Plus he is like a battering ram into opposition defences creating space for Anelka to run into. Doesn't get the credit he deserves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Equally, hasn't there been a fair bit of critcism from Utd. fans about Rooney that sometimes he tracks back too much? That as a striker (and esp the lone striker) he should stay up top more where he is most effective.

Now I personally disagree with this entirely, but I'm just saying that the tracking back thing isn't as one-sided an arguement as you seem to think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

mormank wrote: »

Probably not the greatest. not too many 70 year olds making waves in it recently

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

In my humble opinion Fat Ronaldo was one of the best players since Pele and deserves to be on Eze^'s evergrowing list of great players.

Hope you realise that the Ronaldo I put in my initial list was obviously Ronaldo de Lima. As I said, C. Ronaldo isn't ready to be put in the same category just yet, same goes for Messi. (although I've no doubt they both eventually will)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Probably not the greatest. not too many 70 year olds making waves in it recently

:)

He'd be grand he has his little blue tablets.:pac:

L5 wrote: »
    Hi Jamie Redknapp
    Owrite mate me JT and Lamps had a good bubble and giggle bout ya post :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

eZe^ wrote: »
    Hope you realise that the Ronaldo I put in my initial list was obviously Ronaldo de Lima. As I said, C. Ronaldo isn't ready to be put in the same category just yet, same goes for Messi. (although I've no doubt they both eventually will)
    I agree. Ronaldo was poor in last European championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Anyway, Drogba is one of the best since Pele and so is Lampard.

rooney better than pele, lampard one of the best since pele.......

england should have no trouble winning the forthcoming world cup so with talent like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Eamonn Dunphy is probably reading this thread whilst drinking a pint thinking "My work here is done" :D

magma69 wrote: »
    Eamonn Dunphy is probably reading this thread whilst drinking a pint thinking "My work here is done" :D

Of vodka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Jazzy wrote: »
    nothing wrong with slating ppl that are over rated

oh, and ibra is incredible. if you think other wise you are incorrect. simple as that

John Hume overrated?? Yeah that whole Peace Process thing he was involved in was all just a flash in the pan....

Ibrahimovich is undoubtedly talented and shows flashes of pure brilliance...but he's lazy imo and in modern football I think there's nothing worse than seeing a striker with such potential not bothering his hole sometimes. I'd rate Rooney much higher than Ibrahimovich at the moment tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Was talking about C Ronaldo:(

rossie1977 wrote: »
    rooney better than pele, lampard one of the best since pele.......

england should have no trouble winning the forthcoming world cup so with talent like that
    Have you seen Spain and Brazil?

Have you seen Spain and Brazil?

I've found what you need....

sarcasm_detector.jpg

PaulieC wrote: »

Ibrahimovich is undoubtedly talented and shows flashes of pure brilliance...but he's lazy imo and in modern football I think there's nothing worse than seeing a striker with such potential not bothering his hole sometimes. I'd rate Rooney much higher than Ibrahimovich at the moment tbh

Sure you're not mixing Ibrahimovic up with Berbatov? Watch Zlatan with Barca tonight at 7pm, I guarantee you the one thing you can't criticise him for is his work ethic. He may not be a Rooney, but Guardiola has him working his ass off.

I've found what you need....

sarcasm_detector.jpg
    Nope don't think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sure you're not mixing Ibrahimovic up with Berbatov? Watch Zlatan with Barca tonight at 7pm, I guarantee you the one thing you can't criticise him for is his work ethic. He may not be a Rooney, but Guardiola has him working his ass off.

tbf I haven't seen many Barca games this year so if thats the case fair fcuks to him, god knows he has the potential!! And no, Berbatovs in a league of his own might aswell sit on one of these bad boys up front!! :D

humor-toilet.jpg

Ya, the biggest criticism of Ibra this year is that he is having to sacrifice himself quite a bit now for the good of the team. At Inter the entire team was built around his qualities, now his ability to create is less important. So in the past month you see alot less of his magic, he's slowly adapting to his new role, I just can't wait for him to realise a way of incorporating his all around play more efficiently into the Barca system. (there's been glimpses at the start of the season)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PaulieC wrote: »
    John Hume overrated?? Yeah that whole Peace Process thing he was involved in was all just a flash in the pan....

was talking about Heany, who is highly over rated. ibra isnt lazy, thats a myth put forward by... oh thats right, dunphy

Drogba >>>>>> Rooney

Drogba >>>>>> Rooney

You're literally wrong.

You're literally wrong.

??? This season Drogba is undoubtably the world's no. 1 striker - prove me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

??? This season Drogba is undoubtably the world's no. 1 striker - prove me wrong.

how about you justify the statment first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Imagine how good Drogba could be if he could sort out his balance:D:rolleyes:

SlickRic wrote: »
    how about you justify the statment first?

Drogba - 1939 mins played PL - 19 goals, 9 assists
    Rooney - 2215 mins played PL - 21 goals, 5 assists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Drogba - 1939 mins played PL - 19 goals, 9 assists
    Rooney - 2215 mins played PL - 21 goals, 5 assists

that does not mean Drogba >>>>>>>>>>>>> Rooney.

and anyway, since when are stats the be all, end all?

Advertisement