Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy:Rooney the best player since Pele

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

SlickRic wrote: »
    that does not mean Drogba >>>>>>>>>>>>> Rooney.

and anyway, since when are stats the be all, end all?

Ya whatever - stats counts for nothing and btw Drogba doesnt even take the penalties for Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

both are wonderful players.

Rooney is an all-round team player, excellent technically, and has started scoring goals for fun.

Drogba is a battering ram, the perfect spearhead for an attack, strong and clinical in front of goal.

the stats you offer are very comparable too.

they're difficult players to compare, as they offer something very different to their respective teams.

this season it's Drogba = Rooney imo, if there had to be a judgment.

SlickRic wrote: »
    both are wonderful players.

Rooney is an all-round team player, excellent technically, and has started scoring goals for fun.

Drogba is a battering ram, the perfect spearhead for an attack, strong and clinical in front of goal.

the stats you offer are very comparable too.

they're difficult players to compare, as they offer something very different to their respective teams.

this season it's Drogba = Rooney imo, if there had to be a judgment.

Tbh I more or less agree with you here - the difference is Rooney atm has the potential to be a better player than Drogba ever will be but this season Drogba is the best striker in the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

eZe^ wrote: »
    Hope you realise that the Ronaldo I put in my initial list was obviously Ronaldo de Lima. As I said, C. Ronaldo isn't ready to be put in the same category just yet, same goes for Messi. (although I've no doubt they both eventually will)

Yeah i presumed it was. That guy was the prototype striker. One of the greatest strikers of all time. Ive no idea how old you are but were you following Barca when he was at the club? I was too young (around 6/7) to understand how good he was. why did barca sell him?

Incredible video of incredible goals by him here.

I dont think many other strikers come close to him since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lol at whoever put Drogba and Lampard as among the best players since Pele.

A few off the top of my head(most probably already mentioned)

Maradona(arguably the greatest ever footballer imo)
    Maldini
    Baresi
    Schmeichel
    Cruyff
    Van Basten
    Ronaldo

One who comes to mind too from Serie A is George Weah. He was just fantastic for maybe 3 or 4 seasons but I wouldnt put him into a shortlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Yeah i presumed it was. That guy was the prototype striker. One of the greatest strikers of all time. Ive no idea how old you are but were you following Barca when he was at the club? I was too young (around 6/7) to understand how good he was. why did barca sell him?

That ronaldo was a fantastic player (im plenty old enough to remember him). Barca have had some incredible gems that folk dont even think of, Hristo Stoichkov and Romario come to mind.

daithijjj wrote: »
    That ronaldo was a fantastic player (im plenty old enough to remember him). Barca have had some incredible gems that folk dont even think of, Hristo Stoichkov and Romario come to mind.

Romario was some player - he was basically a world class Berbatov, lazy as fcuk but his talent was worth keeping him on the pitch. His touch was amazing, I remember that classic game when he played for PSV and he nearly beat Milan on his own- he was a truly great player. Stoichkov was another enigma - total nutter but brilliant. 2 impossible players to control both on and off the pitch. Cant forget Rivaldo for Barca - another freakish talent - Barca have had some of the best players ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Jazzy wrote: »
    was talking about Heany, who is highly over rated. ibra isnt lazy, thats a myth put forward by... oh thats right, dunphy

Ah c'mon now....we all know Dunphys word is gospel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

PaulieC wrote: »
    Ah c'mon now....we all know Dunphys word is gospel :D
    Has anyone mentioned Gullit or Van Basten yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

1. Gary Breen
    2. Pele
    3. Maradona

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Djemba-Djemba > Pele

tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Kirnsy wrote: »

There some goals. Incredible player

anyone care to predict what Dunphy will come out with on Wednesday. should be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

daithijjj wrote: »

Both of them masterminded as one-sided performance as I can recall against Man U. Granted it was when the 5-foreigner rule was in place, but they were still awesome.

CHD wrote: »

Anyway, Drogba is one of the best since Pele and so is Lampard.

Yes the mind boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

magma69 wrote: »
    Eamonn Dunphy is probably reading this thread whilst drinking a pint thinking "My work here is done" :D

Dunphy is the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Cant belive someone just compared Berbatov to Romario! Doubt SAF would have dropped Vidic and play Evra at centre back to deal with the pace of the the Bulgarian at home to Spurs a few years back! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i agree clearly Berbatov > Romario

everyone knows this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Cant belive someone just compared Berbatov to Romario! Doubt SAF would have dropped Vidic and play Evra at centre back to deal with the pace of the the Bulgarian at home to Spurs a few years back! !

Sorry, what?

Advertisement