Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox working but no picture?

• 17-02-2010 9:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a 360, i got red lights on it about a week ago but I turned it off,
    powered it up later and it was fine, and I was playing away.

Then while playing call of duty online the other night the picture started getting hazy and fuzzy, I was still able to play but it was far fromk crystal clear. It would sometimes come back to normal but more often than not get fuzzy again.

Then 2 days ago I switched it on, went to the av channel and there was no picture, i could hear the start up tone, when I pressed buttons on the controller I could hear the game going through the motions but I had a blank dark screen with a bit of lines going left to right but nothing you would even call a picture.

I powered off, checked all the cable especially the ones that go into the tv, red, yellow, white etc and could see no sign of damage.

I have seen a few fixes online but I don't have the tools necessary to open
    and access the drives nor do I have the know how about these things.

There's a few recommending the towel method where you wrap the console in a towel but powered on, (making it overheat I presume) then letting it cool and powering on and off, but I can't see how that would be beneficial and read others saying that method can do more damage.

So is my xbox fecked? any ideas?

Don't want to send it off if it means paying the cost of a new one or close enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

First off, is your TV ok? (like are other channels working?)

Does the cable work (is it possible to plug in the Xbox to the TV via HDMI, component, composite?)

Hopefully it's the cable's fault.

Can you bring your Xbox to a mate's gaf who also has an xbox to try these out?

I haven't heard of that happening, it sounds like the cable's broken....or possibly the cable input on the Xbox or TV.

Is your Xbox less than 3 years old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

It is the same fault as rrod

is it under warranty? I mean 3 years rrod warranty? if it wasn't opened ring the MS and tell them that you have intermittent rrod.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

jaykhunter wrote: »
    First off, is your TV ok? (like are other channels working?)

Does the cable work (is it possible to plug in the Xbox to the TV via HDMI, component, composite?)

Hopefully it's the cable's fault.

Can you bring your Xbox to a mate's gaf who also has an xbox to try these out?

I haven't heard of that happening, it sounds like the cable's broken....or possibly the cable input on the Xbox or TV.

Is your Xbox less than 3 years old?

Sorry apart from the cable that comes with it how else would I manage to plug the xbox into the tv mate??

I don't have anyone nearby who I can try the cable on i'm afraid.

Yes it's less than 3 yrs old has been fairly flawless up to now but I
    bought it off ebay and I don't have a guarantee as far as I know.

The tv seems fine, the cable was never moved since I first set it up
    so it must be some sort of internal hardware problem but as I said it must be something simple as she's powering up fine, no red lights or anything,
    just no picture, so it does seem like it might be the cable but I don't know how it could have been damaged.

Can you buy replacement cables?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

panama wrote: »
    Sorry apart from the cable that comes with it how else would I manage to plug the xbox into the tv mate??

I don't have anyone nearby who I can try the cable on i'm afraid.

The tv seems fine, the cable was never moved since I first set it up
    so it must be some sort of internal hardware problem but as I said it must be something simple as she's powering up fine, no red lights or anything,
    just no picture, so it does seem like it might be the cable but I don't know how it could have been damaged.

Can you buy replacement cables?

No need to be smart, there's HDMI and plenty of third-party cables.

Get your serial number and all that and get onto Microsoft, sounds like it's ready to get the RRoD.

as long as the warranty seal is ok (you can check it yourself under faceplate) you are covered with warranty

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    No need to be smart, there's HDMI and plenty of third-party cables.

Get your serial number and all that and get onto Microsoft, sounds like it's ready to get the RRoD.

That was a genuine question!! I wasn't being smart at all.

I appreciate the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Short of being able to try out your Xbox/cables on another cable you've two roads to go down -

1) Buy a new cable and see if that works.

If that fixes it, hooray! If it doesn't, ****, you've got a useless new cable now :( you'll have to move to step 2 so.

2) Get your Xbox sent to Microsoft. All you need is the serial number, and register at Xbox.com. If it's almost 3 years old I'd highly recommend getting them to have a look at it. Turn around time for me (Dublin) was 12 days, Monday given to UPS, got it back the Friday the next week.

Lemme know how you get on anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

hey man, i had this problem before xmas and i never got the rrod. i chanced my arm and sent it into Microsoft pretending it to be a rrod and got a new console back in the post. you should probably do the same

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    hey man, i had this problem before xmas and i never got the rrod. i chanced my arm and sent it into Microsoft pretending it to be a rrod and got a new console back in the post. you should probably do the same

Really, wow, that was nice of them!

The problem is I have opened the outer casing, dunno if this will affect the warranty.

I never sent off for a warranty or anything when I bought it off ebay,
    how do you prove it's under 3 years old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

i do have this problem the odd time id have sound but no picture its usually the cable going into the xbox when i mess around with it, the picture comes back i know its sounds stupid but thats what was happening mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Really, wow, that was nice of them!

The problem is I have opened the outer casing, dunno if this will affect the warranty.

I never sent off for a warranty or anything when I bought it off ebay,
    how do you prove it's under 3 years old?

warranty is gone so then.

I think it's the cable that's causing it to malfunction as there are no red lights and she seems to be powering up fine
    as I can hear the sounds.

Is it possible to buy a replacement lead anywhere?

( the one with the yellow, white and red cables that go into the tv) ?

if you're in dublin I can give you one, or you can paypal me p&p costs, but I'm telling you it is not the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

If you're in Dublin or can get it up to me I can repair this problem for you for €50 if you'd like.

You broke the warranty seal so unfortunately Microsoft won't touch it for you now.

*edit*

Previous username is Achilles... still waiting for my account back. I have repaired Xbox 360s for boardsies in the past and haven't had any complaints yet.

Mr_Vestek wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin or can get it up to me I can repair this problem for you for €50 if you'd like.

You broke the warranty seal so unfortunately Microsoft won't touch it for you now.

*edit*

Previous username is Achilles... still waiting for my account back. I have repaired Xbox 360s for boardsies in the past and haven't had any complaints yet.

How long would it take and what part of dublin are you in mate?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

If you can try another cable and it turns out NOT to be the cable, have a look here

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Red-Ring-of-Deathwithout-towels/

How long would it take and what part of dublin are you in mate?

Thanks
    Only takes a few hours...

Could have it done same day if it's important to you. I'm located in Tallaght.

Send me a PM if you wanna chat about it.

Only takes a few hours...

Could have it done same day if it's important to you. I'm located in Tallaght.

Send me a PM if you wanna chat about it.

Pm sent mate.

Pm sent mate.

Mr Vestek - Perhaps you could get in touch with contact details please

Mr Vestek - Perhaps you could get in touch with contact details please
    Hey sorry about that, PM sent.

Girlfriend has been sick since yesterday so I haven't been on the net much.

• Advertisement

Hey sorry about that, PM sent.

Girlfriend has been sick since yesterday so I haven't been on the net much.

No problem, have sent a reply thanks.

Advertisement